Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Let soldiers pack heat on post
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:01 pm
Let soldiers pack heat on post

Posted: November 10, 2009
By Gerard Valentino
© 2009

As a veteran of the U.S. Army, I was brought to tears by the horrific massacre at Fort Hood, Texas. Seeing coverage of my former comrades brutally murdered at my former duty station was almost too much to take. The news that it was allegedly the act of a fellow soldier remains unfathomable.

While stationed there a few years back, we knew were sitting ducks for a terrorist attack and that only the appearance of security kept it from happening. Anyone on the inside, like the alleged gunman in this case, knew he could easily pull off such a massacre.

The military rightly protects stealth bombers and intelligence assets so a successful attack at such a post is highly unlikely. They keep the number of personnel at such facilities lower so tighter security measures can be used without disrupting day to day life. Admitting that publicly at this point isn't giving terrorists a helpful tip – the massacre at Fort Hood gave them a great road map for similar attacks in the future.

What most people don't realize is the huge difference in how individual posts handle security and access to the post itself. To be fair, in most cases it isn't a failing of the administration but instead simple logistics that create an opening for an attack similar to what happened at Fort Hood. The huge number of soldiers and civilians that work on post make it impossible to check every ID and every car.

Looking at the Fort Hood attack in more general terms exposes that it followed the same pattern as nearly every killing spree in America, with the exception of the fact that it occurred on a military installation.

First on the list of similarities is that the victims were in a place where legal concealed carry is prohibited. The soldiers were disarmed in the same manner as the students at Columbine, or the students at Virginia Tech. The sad fact is that regardless of whether you go to a victim zone in a military uniform or dressed in ill-fitting clothes of the average college student, you are at an undue risk because the criminal will be the only one with a gun when the shooting starts.

Other similarities include that in nearly every other attack it took a good guy, or girl, with a gun to stop the alleged gunman, and that in nearly all workplace massacres, the murderer knew his victims were unarmed and therefore easy targets.

Had the two police officers credited with stopping the rampage not arrived in such short order there is no telling how many more heroic Americans could have had their lives snuffed out on the killing fields at Fort Hood.

The media coverage follows the same pattern in nearly every killing spree as well. As usual, a lot of time is being spent on covering why the alleged gunman chose to kill co-workers.

To be honest, I don't think that issue should shape the debate once the full investigation is complete. Despite the evolution of mental health readiness in America, predicting who might go on a murderous rampage is very difficult. For every person that fits the pattern of a spree killer and acts on his or her rage, there are thousands who are simply lost souls in need of help, but are not a threat to anyone.

The real question is why soldiers trained to carry a gun in combat are disarmed while going about their daily business when they are one of the prime targets of terrorism. While nobody wants fully armed soldiers marching down Main Street, USA, allowing them the same right to carry civilians are afforded is morally and legally just.

Leaving any American without a means of self-defense while a spree killer plies his trade is simply wrong, whether the victim is a civilian or soldier.

In states where legal concealed carry is an accepted practice, American service members need to be allowed to carry a gun for self-defense – on post and off – because the global war on terror has changed the risk level they live with each and every day.

The global war on terror has changed the way America fights our wars and has changed the risk level our service members are forced to endure. Letting soldiers have the same rights afforded to civilians when it comes to carrying a concealed handgun is a reform that is well past due.

Reforms to labor laws to allow employees to carry guns for self-defense at work or that force employers to truly care for worker safety are needed in America today so that the next active shooter in a workplace, whether military or civilian, is met with incoming live rounds instead of screaming and cowering workers.

If People do their best what else is there?
Patton.

Then said he unto them, But now, He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garmet, and buy one
Luke 22:36
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: Let soldiers pack heat on post
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 pm
I was recently commissioned into the Army Reserve Medical Corps. I have had CCW for 2 years. I have not been in for long and was wondering if it is ok to carry while in uniform in public. I have not been able to find much info on the net. Was wondering if someone could help me out?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:32 pm
jdmatthew_42 wrote:
I was recently commissioned into the Army Reserve Medical Corps. I have had CCW for 2 years. I have not been in for long and was wondering if it is ok to carry while in uniform in public. I have not been able to find much info on the net. Was wondering if someone could help me out?

jdmatthew:

Welcome aboard!

Generally, bringing a firearm on Post is between you and the Commanding Officer. Civilians can pretty much forget it.

Off Post, uniformed or otherwise, may be an issue with your CO, too, but there's nothing in Ohio law against it save the usual CPZ issues, which probably lock you out there, too.

How many of the folks at Ft. Hood had licenses, or not, is unknown. However, the rules on the Post were such that essentially nobody could carry. The murderer apparently had permission to have the gun, which I'm told is fairly easy to get, but not carry it. However, there's practically no way to prevent him from carrying it, and nearly no way to keep somebody from bringing a gun onto the Post. Deep kimshi if you get caught, of course, but that doesn't generally bother the killer....

My middle sister is an MD in Temple TX right now - she works at a hospital where a good portion of the Ft. Hood casualties ended up. Mom was in town with her at the time, and ended up in the ER due to some possible cardiac issues. My sister had to have her boss talk to his boss to get into the ER to see mom. THAT, they locked down....

Mini-scale situation like that here over last weekend - some guy killed an elderly woman as she left Church. Not that she'd be carrying, but he was, and practically nobody else could.... A prayer rally will be used to try to stop this sort of thing.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:36 pm
This is my opinion only: You are an AMERICAN CITIZEN and have every right to open carry. Of course if you live in communist cities like Cleveland or Youngstown ECT... You will be F'D with .. So my suggestion to you is Proceed with caution... If you have your ccw wtf does it matter ????

BTW THANK YOU FOR SERVING!! 8)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:02 pm
Heading to WPAFB tomorrow with only my God-given self-defense mechanisms in tow.

What an awful feeling ... :cry:
Last edited by paazig on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:47 pm
Thank you for the help. I am aware of the rules when being on post. Mainly I am concerned about travel in uniform off post. Just trying to follow the rules! Don't want lose my CHL or piss the Army off! By the way I would NOT be open carrying I would have my weapon concealed.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 pm
This is my first post on this forum. I am currently active duty in the USMC in Yuma, Az. i have had my CCW which i got here in AZ (thank god for reciprocity) But i totally think we should be able to carry on base. What is the difference between here and being in IRAQ or AFGHANISTAN? The military is stupid and i cant wait to get out so i can come back and protect my family. who knows where is country is going.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 am
sgrosheim, welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 pm
As far as your CHL and being in uniform, I think you need to check with the base JAG and get the legal ruling. My guess (20 years military) would be no but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:04 pm
standerson wrote:
As far as your CHL and being in uniform, I think you need to check with the base JAG and get the legal ruling. My guess (20 years military) would be no but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

As specifically if the Laws of War apply apply. If so, your weapon has to remain visible...

Tanfoglio 45/22 Target Pistol
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]