Page 8 of 8 [ 119 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author
Message
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:05 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
Glad I could help. It is sad that public servants choose to make up their own rules rather than following the rule of law.

By the way, PA no longer recognizes non-resident Utah licenses so if you want to carry in PA be sure to keep it renewed in addition to your Utah license (or have another state that PA does recognize, of course).



For Ohioans, an Ohio CHL and a non-resident Pa. LTCF covers everything the Ohio+Utah does.

"Our Constitution is a document in which "We the people" tell the government what it is allowed to do. "We the people" are free." - Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1/11/1989

My friends, never forget this.
NRA
GOA
2AF
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 am
Posts: 412
Location: Columbiana County -that's Appalachia to you!
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:15 pm
Karl der Grosse wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Glad I could help. It is sad that public servants choose to make up their own rules rather than following the rule of law.

By the way, PA no longer recognizes non-resident Utah licenses so if you want to carry in PA be sure to keep it renewed in addition to your Utah license (or have another state that PA does recognize, of course).



For Ohioans, an Ohio CHL and a non-resident Pa. LTCF covers everything the Ohio+Utah does.

Indeed - and then some. The OH+PA combination covers everything an Ohio resident can get without acquiring specific states one at a time (like NH, etc.)

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 am
Posts: 683
Location: Akron/Canton
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 pm
We just picked up our PA non-resident permits today while in Gettysburg, Adams Co. Dropped paperwork off yesterday morning with no promises. Normally it takes a week to get approval, then they send a letter saying approved or not and you have 30 days to return a pick up your permit as Adams Co won't mail the permits. Must have got lucky my wife was getting hers also.
Top
Offline
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:18 am
Posts: 442
Location: Stark County
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:02 pm
I just returned from a business trip to PA and I finally got my Non-resident PA permit. I can't say enough about the Jefferson county Sheriff and all those I encountered in his office. I actually stopped into the Brookville PA office about a month ago on a separate trip. I filled out the paperwork, they snapped my photo and had me sign electronically. I handed over my $20 and my Ohio CHL and DL. After about five minutes the lady working on the permit said that unfortunately the system was down so she would have to mail the license to me. I did not ask directly but it sounded as she may have planned on handing me the permit right away.

I ran into the sheriff on the way out and thanked home personally for issuing the out of state permit and he stated that "everyone should carry" and mentioned he also owned the gun store in town. I chuckled and said he may be a bit biased :egrin: .

The next week I expected the CHL to show up and it never did. My wife received a call early the next week from a very apologetic lady stating that she made a mistake and did not save my photo and signature so she could not finish the process. It was an honest mistake and I understand that things happen. So I was over there again today on business and I stopped by the office. The lady recognized me, apologized 3 more times, took my photo and my signature again and handed me my permit. I was in and out in 7 minutes.

Can't say enough about. Jefferson County and I will be sending the Sheriff a note of appreciation via email later tonight.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 88
Location: Lancaster, OH
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:47 pm
Thanks for the report wildeone, sure sounds like a good county to use - especially being so close to I80.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 am
Posts: 683
Location: Akron/Canton
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:08 pm
wildeone wrote:
I just returned from a business trip to PA and I finally got my Non-resident PA permit. I can't say enough about the Jefferson county Sheriff and all those I encountered in his office. I actually stopped into the Brookville PA office about a month ago on a separate trip. I filled out the paperwork, they snapped my photo and had me sign electronically. I handed over my $20 and my Ohio CHL and DL. After about five minutes the lady working on the permit said that unfortunately the system was down so she would have to mail the license to me. I did not ask directly but it sounded as she may have planned on handing me the permit right away.

I ran into the sheriff on the way out and thanked home personally for issuing the out of state permit and he stated that "everyone should carry" and mentioned he also owned the gun store in town. I chuckled and said he may be a bit biased :egrin: .

The next week I expected the CHL to show up and it never did. My wife received a call early the next week from a very apologetic lady stating that she made a mistake and did not save my photo and signature so she could not finish the process. It was an honest mistake and I understand that things happen. So I was over there again today on business and I stopped by the office. The lady recognized me, apologized 3 more times, took my photo and my signature again and handed me my permit. I was in and out in 7 minutes.

Can't say enough about. Jefferson County and I will be sending the Sheriff a note of appreciation via email later tonight.

glad it worked out in the end!

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Top
Offline
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:46 pm
Posts: 5665
Location: SW Ohio
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:53 pm
When I was searching for a PA county nearby that would grant non-resident licenses, I found that the Venango County Sheriff's Office was the closest (I'm in Akron). Bring your Ohio license, cash, and they'll issue your license after you present a completed application and they run a background check. About ten minutes later I walked out with my PA Non-Resident Permit.

Of course all this may become a moot point if U.S. Senate Bill 498 or it's identical bill, H.R.986 passes.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:34 am
Posts: 86
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:52 pm
Crawford County (Sheriff office in Meadville) would also have been a good choice - not sure if it would have been any closer though.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 am
Posts: 683
Location: Akron/Canton
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:52 pm
...some great news, PA is now honoring OH CHLs (category 2 reciprocity) (thanks to HB234 now in effect):

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_a ... greements/

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Top
Offline
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:46 pm
Posts: 5665
Location: SW Ohio
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 pm
That's great news, although I'd still get the PA license because it opens up the possibility for carrying in more states.

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:34 am
Posts: 86
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:22 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
That's great news, although I'd still get the PA license because it opens up the possibility for carrying in more states.

Right now, with an Ohio license issued or renewed before March 23 the only states PA adds are WI and TX. Certainly, to some those are important enough to get or maintain their PA non-resident license (like I have). But, once you have a license issued or renewed after March 23 (and once TX is official) there will be no direct benefit for someone with an Ohio license to get or maintain a PA non-resident license.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 am
Posts: 683
Location: Akron/Canton
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:29 pm
I know this is a dead thread, but I figured I'd try to update it a bit. I am an admin at Pennsylvania's comparable website - PAFOA. While I just joined recently, I have lurked quite a bit. :)


In or around 2011 the Pennsylvania State Police changed and updated the licensing system. All counties were to use the same equipment and format, and all of those machines would interface directly with the PSP's database. This also required that your state issued ID be "read" by the machine to properly identify you, and for a digital picture be taken - so this eliminated the ability to do your application/renewal completely via mail. You must appear in person now. However some counties will only require you to appear at the application, others after you have been approved and you wish to pick up your new LTCF.

The fee is set in law at $20, and the application is a single sheet of paper. One side has the area where you fill it out, the other side has a list of disqualifiers. Any county that goes beyond the $20 or number of pages is in violation of PA law and is guilty of a 1st Degree Misdemeanor punishable by 5 years in prison. Sheriffs still have only 45 days to issue or deny, but many issue right over the counter after you passed the instant background check.

I know a number of folks from OH has hit up PAFOA's "Contact" form about OH/PA reciprocity.. ..Yes, PA did grant statutory reciprocity to OH because of OH's law recognizing all other state licenses(including PA). It is not a formal agreement, it is a statement from the PA Attorney General that PA WILL honor OH. PAFOA's reciprocity page is out of date, and only one person can change it. Unfortunately he is working abroad and it will not be feasible for quite some time. PAFOA suggests that you use the PA Attorney General website or handgunlaw.us for reciprocity concerns.

With reciprocity in place, the need for OH residents to have a PA LTCF is much lower, but it still has its advantages. One being exemption from the Federal GFSZA.

PAFOA's list of counties that include info on which are friendly to issuing to non-residents is under the same issues as our reciprocity page. It is pretty much the golden rule that Centre County will issue(well as long as Sheriff Nau is still in office). My home county, Jefferson, is also friendly. You all have covered many of the others that are known. But, sheriff's are elected positions, so thing can change every 4 years.
Last edited by knight0334 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top
Offline
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:00 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Brookville, PA
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:50 pm
Welcome to BFA. Thanks for your contribution of knowledge about Pennsylvania's laws.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Top
Offline
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:07 pm
Posts: 1919
Location: SW Ohio
Post subject: First Impression
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:21 pm
The Long Wait Is Over 2017 Honda Civic Type R

Image

Jaguar I-Pace Concept 2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure and more
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:31 am
Posts: 1
Location: Netherlands
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 8 of 8 [ 119 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Search for:
Jump to: