Page 6 of 8 [ 119 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:19 pm
Lawrence County has an interesting requirement for licenses. The website notes that the application must contain two references who are RESIDENTS OF LAWRENCE COUNTY. I called the Sheriff's Office to ask if this requirement applied to out of state folks who were renewing their NR licenses, since it is unlikely that non-residents of PA would have any references from that state.

Answer: Rules are rules and they apply to NR licenses as well.

Venanga County and Crawford County do not appear to have this rule.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm
rlsmaritime:

Welcome aboard!

(Might as well hit you here with a welcome.... :D)

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should read. Self defense and all that....

Thanks for talking to Lawrence County.... IMHO, the Sheriffs there can make their own rules in some cases - I wonder what PA law actually says....

I'm not sure, but if New Castle is in Lawrence County, I can produce two references :D.... The wife's got an aunt and a cousin there. Same house, same last name, though, but both adults. Betcha somebody calls and checks, though - the cousin's a bit of a hunter, and would go along with anything, but the aunt's about 80 and slightly confused :D.... (Hope they're not reading this....)

IAC, it's nuts....

I suppose I could rent the cousin if anybody's interested :mrgreen: ....

My wife had a bunch more relatives over there, but they're all deceased.

I was thinking of driving over to Sheriff Nau's place in Centre County. Still may do that....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:51 am
That whole reference thing is what is keeping me from bothering with a PA permit, although as much time as I spend there I'd like to have one. My whole family is originally from Philadelphia, but I haven't had a living relative in PA since my Grammy died several years ago...and she didn't know who I was by then anyway...Seems some counties require PA residents, some require county residents, and some don't care....Waiting for a Utah class!

Beth

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -Anon.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:55 am
Bang Bang Beth wrote:
That whole reference thing is what is keeping me from bothering with a PA permit, although as much time as I spend there I'd like to have one. My whole family is originally from Philadelphia, but I haven't had a living relative in PA since my Grammy died several years ago...and she didn't know who I was by then anyway...Seems some counties require PA residents, some require county residents, and some don't care....Waiting for a Utah class!

I know a guy who lives IN PA and he does not have 2 references, he moved there to live with an internet girlfriend, he lives in a neighborhood filled with felons and losers, and does not want to bring up the gun issue at work.

Too bad "shall issue" is open to so much BS when the applicant is a non resident.

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:27 am
Bang Bang Beth wrote:
....Waiting for a Utah class!
Take a look at Arizona. A copy of your Ohio license will suffice for training. Most of us in PA are going for that one these days. http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 am
wirecurtain wrote:
Bang Bang Beth wrote:
....Waiting for a Utah class!
Take a look at Arizona. A copy of your Ohio license will suffice for training. Most of us in PA are going for that one these days. http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

Thank you! I've contacted them and asked for an application packet.

Beth

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -Anon.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 pm
Regarding the PA ccw license renewal, does Ohio have a recriprocal agreement with PA yet?

I have a resident Ohio ccw, and obtained by mail a non-resident PA license. Wondering if it is still needed? And if so, then maybe I could mail renew it now before the end of the year...?

Thanks

the Friar
Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:16 am
Friar:

No agreement at this time....

No more mail-order, either.

Some PA Sheriffs refuse to issue non-resident licenses at all, but those who do are now required to do it "in person".

I think it's Lawrence County that won't, but Mercer County will.... (Both are pretty much on the OH-PA border in NW PA.)

Somebody (can't recall who) also wants two (or three?) references who are PA residents.

I'm thinking of driving to Centre County myself. Long ride, but it might be fun, and I'd like to show some support for Sheriff Nau, who was the primo source of mail-order licensing in PA for the last six or seven years.

The reason is that PA has decided to shift to a standardized "credit card" license (like the usual OH CHL), and needs your body present to handle the photo, and maybe prints.

Mail-order kinda got shot down....

Friar: Did I hit you with a welcome message? I tend to forget.... Anyway, there's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should read, if you haven't.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:44 pm
Several of us went to Jefferson County to get our permits. Quite painless. We left with our permits that day!
Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:06 pm
I guess they must not have figured out anything yet. Sheriff Nau from Centre Co. is not even sending out renewal notices.

Mine expires in four more days (10/26/11) and I have heard NOTHING at all from them.

Can't get the renewal fees through the mail so why waste the postage?

Buckshot

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright as of date of post
All rights reserved by author
Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:34 am
Well I followed wirecurtain's advice and sent for an Arizona packet. They emailed me their list of "alternate documents" acceptable for issuance of a permit, including "STATE PERMITS (E6d, N7) Original/Copy of a valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance. **Requires verification of good standing and training/testing requirement. "

Processing takes 6-8 weeks...we'll see what happens.

Beth

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 am
Bang Bang Beth wrote:
Well I followed wirecurtain's advice and sent for an Arizona packet...

Beth - sorry, guess I missed those previous coments. Is an AZ (non-resident) now the latest thing to add to supplant the PA license, for us buckeye's? Thanks

the Friar
Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:53 am
wirecurtain wrote:

Wirecurtain is from Pennsylvania...An Arizona license would give me Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, in addition to Pennsylvania. (Not that I travel in that direction much!) $60 fee, and no messing with will-he-won't-he issue, how many references do I have to have, do I have to go in person, etc.

Beth

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 am
Bang Bang Beth wrote:
..Waiting for a Utah class!

We just did a Utah class in Greenville, Pa back in August. Only about an hour and a half from Akron.

I travel all over to do the Utah class, so if a group is interested, I can come out to Ohio and do one. We would be looking for about 25 ppl. minimum.

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
SABRE Pepper Spray CSAP Instructor
12 year veteran - former law enforcement
Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 pm
Had to go to eastern PA last week. Wife and I decided to stop in at the Centre Co Sheriff's office to renew our PA non-resident licenses. We filled out the applications, and copied our DL's and CHL's, ahead of time. We arrived at a little after noon, There were two very helpful folks at the front desk. One took my wife's paperwork, the other took mine. Ten minutes later, after paying $20 each, we were on our way with the newly formatted permits. Sheriff Nau runs a first class operation.
 Page 6 of 8 [ 119 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next