Page 7 of 8 [ 119 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: PA Non-Resident renewal
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:57 am
Hey List - was up in Erie, Pa visiting Mom for the Holidays earlier this week and stopped by the Erie County Sheriff's office in downtown Erie.
The process was quite painless and the Office Staff quite friendly/helpful.
They take $20 "cash money" only and you have to provide a copy of your Ohio CHL and Ohio driver's license.
You fill out their application which does require that you provide two references - neither of which can be relatives. But it does not stipulate that those references have to be PA (or Erie County) residents. I supplied one that lives in Erie and one that lives here in southwest Ohio.
They did take my photo there in the office but no fingerprints.
I did not get my license then/there as they indicated I would get it in the mail in two weeks or less.
I'll report back here when I get my license just to let you know how long it took...
Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:54 pm
My PA CHL arrived in the mail today. That means it took 7 business days from the time I applied in person in Erie County, PA. Not too bad!
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 pm
Renewed my non-resident today at Bellefounte, Centre Co., PA. made a two day trip/vacation out of it and spent the night in Milesburg, had breakfast in Bellefounte, the Waffle House and then walked to the Centre Co., Office and was in and out just under 15 minutes with it in my hand! btw the blueberry pancakes were great!

Life/Benefactor NRA member, NRA Training Counselor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter; NRA RTBAV Instructor, Varmint Hunters Association member
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:34 pm
Good evening, all. Now that I have my carry license in Ohio, it's time for my Pennsylvania non-resident license. I plan to make the trip to Erie Tuesday and apply. I trust that the sheriff's office will treat a transplant Erie boy well. I'll make a full report after my visit. Cheers, all!

Electraglide1911

U.S. Coast Guard veteran
NRA member
American Legion
Rolling Thunder
Ohio CHL and Pennsylvania LCF

"What is evil? - Whatever springs from weakness." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:37 pm
I am Count Chocula.

Why are you guys getting PA? PA LTCF does not have much reciprocity over OH. I would think you would want Florida, Arizona, or Utah.

Thank you,

The Count

The Count

Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 am
Count_Chocula wrote:
Why are you guys getting PA? PA LTCF does not have much reciprocity over OH. I would think you would want Florida, Arizona, or Utah.

The PA license costs $20 for five years; if you live on the border and don't do much other travel, that's a significant cost difference over some of the alternatives you mentioned... not to mention that it's an easier license to get if you live close by.

Btw, did you read the other posts in this thread?

--
James Beatty
Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm
Count:

For those of us who live nearby, and are in PA a lot (I was at PIT yesterday), the PA license (I think it's $25 now) is a very useful thing to have for almost no effort.

They now require in-person application, though, which is a PITA for folks not living very close, but if you want to take the annual body count tour in Youngstown, for example, it's handy....

(Some PA Counties refuse to issue out-of-state licenses at all....)

In my case, I can just about drop rounds into PA from my club's outdoor range.

It also picks up TX, which is kind of insane, because TX won't honor OH, but since I have family there, it's handy.

NH is still mail order, but they kicked it up to $100. That picked up a couple of southern states that some of the guys wanted. It used to be $25-ish, and was kind of impressive, at least :D.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 pm
jabeatty wrote:
Count_Chocula wrote:

The PA license costs $20 for five years; if you live on the border and don't do much other travel, that's a significant cost difference over some of the alternatives you mentioned... not to mention that it's an easier license to get if you live close by.

Btw, did you read the other posts in this thread?

I only read the first posts to see the point and then the last posts to see the latest. I guess the meat was in the middle :) But thank you for explaining. I understand now. I don't think I would do it that way unless I was in PA a whole lot.

The Count

The Count

Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:50 am
Polka_Dot wrote:
My PA CHL arrived in the mail today. That means it took 7 business days from the time I applied in person in Erie County, PA. Not too bad!

When I got my first non-resident PA CHL it took less than 10 days as I recall, including time in the mail to and from Illinois to PA. They also took my personal check. That was thru the Centre County Sheriff's department, great folks there, friendly, helpful and efficient. It is accepted by a number of the states around Illinois. Illinois State Police will be issuing CHLs next year but they say they'll issue in 90 days after application. The Illinois State Police are supposed to issue Firearm Owner ID cards (required to own a firearm) in 30 days and it often takes 60 plus, so we'll see.

I just read rsmaritime's post and see he had a favorable experience with Centre County Sheriff's Department as well. They don't require that references be from Pa. BTW.

One reason to consider a PA CHL is for when traveling with a spouse that doesn't have a CHL from Ohio. We travel to Wisconsin to visit children and relatives. My wife doesn't carry but if I have to go into a CPZ while there I can leave my loaded handgun in the car with her, as she has a PA CHL, too.

I just remembered that Pa requires you have your states CHL if they issue so I guess it isn't as useful for you Ohio folks as it is for Illinois. Next year when Illinois starts to issue CHLs it will be the same for us.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:00 pm
I submitted my PA renewal in Crawford County today. I'm finally home so it's time to kick off the boots, pour a glass of old scotch, and spin this yarn.

I started out this morning from Vandalia, and first went to Eaton in Preble County to renew my Ohio CHL. (Commentary posted elsewhere). After that, since I had taken the day off of work, I turned east to go visit our friends in PA.

It was 60 miles round trip for the Ohio renewal, and another 300 one way to Meadville, PA where the Crawford County Sheriff's office is located. A bit of research revealed that Crawford Co. was the closest county to me that had a good reputation and didn't make you jump through flaming hoops like a circus poodle, so off I went.

The staff was quick and friendly. The entire process was less than 10 minutes. That's a Hell of a thing considering it was almost 4.5 hours to get there. If one decides to go to Crawford County, there are a few bits of information they might like to know:

1. PA has very few CPZ's, however, courthouses are one of them. The Crawford Co. Sheriff is in the courthouse. Leave the gun in the car.

2. Leave anything else in the car made of metal. There's a metal detector at the door. It's probably best to show up in shorts, flip-flops, and a Hawaiian shirt.

3. The office you need is on the third floor.

4. Take change for the parking meters out front. There is ample parking.

5. Fuel up in Ohio. The prices per gallon in PA were 30 to 40 cents higher. $3.39 in Meadville, PA and $2.96 in Ravenna, OH as of today.

6. Take $20 and a completed application. They will love you. The lady that processed me said everyone today had been from Ohio.

Other than that it was worth the trip. I will let you know how long it takes to arrive.

Chris

The walkers are coming!

I have officially lost my faith in the system.

WARNING! driver carries more than $20 in ammunition.

Due to the rising cost of ammunition, I will no longer be able to provide a warning shot. Thanks for your understanding.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:41 am
Buckshot wrote:
I don't have any idea or a good map of PA.

Where is Centre County and what is the county seat?

I would REALLY like to stick with Sheriff Nau if I can, he has been good to many for years.

From this edge of Ohio it is going to be a LONG run no matter what.

Buckshot

The county seat of Centre County is Bellefonte. Sheriff Nau's office is really great. My wife probably got one of the last non-resident Pa LTC issued. Issued on 4/29/2011. I believe they quit taking applications the end of March. Illinois residents had to submit a copy of their Firearm Owners ID card at the time. My wife's had expired and I asked them what to do. Sheriff Nau said to send in the application and they'd hold it until we sent in a copy of the FOID card, which came after the middle of April.

Non-residents can now apply at any sheriff's office I understand and get the license while they wait or have it mailed to them. I'd avoid Philadelphia or Pittsburgh counties however. They've been famous for requiring things that the state doesn't like references must be from their county, asking the name of your employer and then contacting them saying you are applying for a LTC.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:33 pm
junglebob wrote:
Non-residents can now apply at any sheriff's office I understand and get the license while they wait or have it mailed to them. I'd avoid Philadelphia or Pittsburgh counties however. They've been famous for requiring things that the state doesn't like references must be from their county, asking the name of your employer and then contacting them saying you are applying for a LTC.

Although correct in theory, (and although unsupported by PA law as I read it) in practice PA County Sheriffs exercise discretion in issuing licenses to non-residents. Many (most?) won't issue to non-residents, and many of the remaining require the two references on the application to be PA or even same county residents.

Of the counties nearest to Ohio, there are only three who do issue to non-residents and do not require the references to be PA/county residents. Those are Crawford (County seat is Meadville), Erie and Butler.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:19 am
Justashooter, Thanks for clarifying that many sheriff's departments don't issue non-resident Pa LTC. I've dealt with Centre County and assumed that it was the same for other counties except maybe Philadelphia. So there are uncivil civil servants in Pa too. I'm passing this on to Illinois folks at Illinoiscarry.com forum. Some of us have had Pa LTC for years and its renewal time.

I just renewed my Utah LTC, it takes a class and about $60 for 5 years to get the original LTC but renewal is by mail for $15 and gives you most of the states that Florida does, not Florida but does give you Minnesota.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 pm
Glad I could help. It is sad that public servants choose to make up their own rules rather than following the rule of law.

By the way, PA no longer recognizes non-resident Utah licenses so if you want to carry in PA be sure to keep it renewed in addition to your Utah license (or have another state that PA does recognize, of course).

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:29 am
JustaShooter wrote:
Glad I could help. It is sad that public servants choose to make up their own rules rather than following the rule of law.

By the way, PA no longer recognizes non-resident Utah licenses so if you want to carry in PA be sure to keep it renewed in addition to your Utah license (or have another state that PA does recognize, of course).

I got the Pa CHL over 8 years ago, after finding out about it on Illinoiscarry.com/forum. A number of other people there did as well. It was all done by mail at that time of course. Many of the states surrounding Illinois accepted it, not Wisconsin, then a right denied state and not Minnesota, or Michigan (must be resident CHL).

Public servants making up their own rules, seems to be a "top down" problem.
 Page 7 of 8 [ 119 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next