Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author
Post subject: Re: Bug Out Bag (BOB) and Bug Out Vehicle Info (BOV)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:14 pm
I like the list. I have new ideas.
Any idea how long MREs last on the shelf?

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:10 pm
Something I haven't though much of stockpiling is soap, shampoo, and tp.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:15 pm
The shock pool powder is supposedly a dry form of bleach ? So very little of it might purify a LOT of water ?

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 pm
Bunker wrote:

i have eaten some from the Nam area that had ciggys in them .... wasn't to bad but those smokes dam near collapsed my lungs.........

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 pm
I ate a 10 year old twinkie the other day, it helped to wash it down with some 25 year old scotch. I have faith rice & MREs will last. Id smoke one of those ... Id walk a Mile for a camel, but not a horse, let alone a feral cow. Probably farther if I rode a camel, maybe farther if i had a hummer.

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:11 am
Bunker wrote:

3 years at room temperature. Cool storage with little to no temperature fluctuation and they will last 4 years. Add a year if refrigerated. Add roughly years or so if frozen for certain menus. Some of the items do not freeze well though.

That is just a guideline however. Only the most perishable items start to go bad in those timelines. I have eaten them 8 years old from normal cellar storage. I wouldn't touch the cheese spread at that age but the crackers and peanut butter seem to last forever. The beef dishes and non poultry pasta dishes last a long long time. I probably wouldn't try some of the poultry or pork much past 3 years unless refrigerated. People have admitted to eating them 10-15 years old.

Modern MRE's do not store nearly as well as the old ones. They are designed to be rotated. Modern menu items don't seem to store as well as old menu items either. If I had to pick from and unknown box I am grabbing the beef stew or spaghetti with meat sauce every time. Those were some of the first things used. Unfortunately the really good long storage meals are all expired and out of production. There may be some that are still good if they were cellar or refrigerator kept. They could go 10 years at room temperature.

I ate a cracker from the bomb shelter tunnels here in town. It was from the late 60s to early 70s. It tasted just like the wax paper it was packaged in.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:55 pm
As a former paramedic, I can say that everyone should have these over the counter meds in their first aid kits: Benadryl Cream and/or tablets for bug stings, Poison Ivy, or allergic reactions, a Nonsteroidal anti-Inflammatory drug (Motrin, Aleve, or other brand of Ibuprofen) in tablets for adults, in liquid for any children,and Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol) tablets for diarrhea, heartburn and such.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:01 am
Be Aware:
Is there any aspirin in Pepto Bismol?
Bismuth subsalicylate is related to aspirin, so you could develop an allergic reaction. Another important point: do not give Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol to children or teenagers who have a fever without first contacting your child's doctor. They belong to a group of medicines called “salicylates.”

In Other Words: come up with a different antacid for youngsters.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:01 pm
AlanM wrote:
Be Aware:
Is there any aspirin in Pepto Bismol?
Bismuth subsalicylate is related to aspirin, so you could develop an allergic reaction. Another important point: do not give Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol to children or teenagers who have a fever without first contacting your child's doctor. They belong to a group of medicines called “salicylates.”

In Other Words: come up with a different antacid for youngsters.

You're right. It's been almost 15 years since a back injury knocked me off the bus. For children, Gas-X and Tums could cover most of the gastro needs. When we don't have kids at home, you forget what kids need after a while...
:oops:
 Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4