Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: what books to read to be better prepared
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 am
Ken45 wrote:
If you are worried about keeping a vehicle running and fuel for it, we have some excellent horses for sale :)

how do you put the poor little horses in the gas tank ?????

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:02 pm
Although it sounds strange, I found alot of good info from Max Brooks book, Zombie survival Guide. There were some post by Sub_Umbra that are FANSTASTIC! This guy was in NOLA during Katrina, and stayed put in his house for about 8 weeks - without assistance.

The site is about flashlights, but the info he gives is awesome.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... ster-ready

If at first you do not succeed, do NOT try skydiving!
Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 pm
Rich 2.0 wrote:
Ken45 wrote:
If you are worried about keeping a vehicle running and fuel for it, we have some excellent horses for sale :)

Comment of the week lol

To ignore your rights is a giant slap in the face to our Constitution, our freedom, and every single man and woman who has died protecting them.
We didn't lose our rights overnight. To think we'll get them back overnight is simply foolish.
Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 pm
Rich 2.0 wrote:
Ken45 wrote:

Oh silly! You don't put them in the tank, you hitch them up to the front bumper! Geesh, didn't your watch your TV westerns when you were a kid? :mrgreen:

Ken

aka OhioPaints
Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:31 am
exxon clames you can put a tiger in your tank when i was a kid............... asked my dad how do you put it in there........... he took me to da zoo and said you figure it out .......

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 pm
willbird wrote:
And Farnhams Freehold for fun too.

Just finished that book last week.. I was reading it because I've been reading a lot of Heinlein lately. I was pleasantly surprised at the survivalist aspects of the story.
Also amazing how many of his books have firearms for personal defense references as well.

--
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 pm
farslayer wrote:
willbird wrote:

Just finished that book last week.. I was reading it because I've been reading a lot of Heinlein lately. I was pleasantly surprised at the survivalist aspects of the story.
Also amazing how many of his books have firearms for personal defense references as well.

Farnham's Freehold is a good one - try "tunnel in the Sky" for another good RAH survival read. I have read all his books currently in print - my favorite is "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 am
Stephen King's "The Stand" is a long book about post-pandemic. If you're into King or never read him, this is a good one. It's strange, and doesn't concentrate specifically on survival tactics, but he does a lot of research with his subject matter.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 pm
"Volk's Game", vicious brutal Russian fiction with anti-hero Volk; one of a series by Brent Ghelfi. And Andy McNab former SAS novels. But I now add that families with children will sort of have it rougher, and will therefore have to be or get tougher real quick. Although they can count on each other for mutual defense and support, of course. :twisted:

http://www.amazon.com/Volks-Game-Novel- ... 0312427840
Last edited by Old Cold Warrior on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:53 am
farslayer wrote:
willbird wrote:

Given that Heinlein is a staple of Libertarian reading, it's actually not so surprising. The guy was consistent in his advocacy of self defense, freedom of speech and he had no issues with a guy being interested in a gal either.

"Oh, Bother," said Pooh, as he slapped in a new magazine and jacked the slide of his 1911A1.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:01 am
I just finished "Survivors: A Novel of the Comming Collapse" by J.W. Rawles. (Believe it or not this was found at the local library!) Which is a Novel that runs con-currently with his earlier novel: "Patriots." An entertaining read - but lighter on actual survivalism material.

US NAVY VETERAN

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:46 pm
I am ready to start researching with Richard Marcinko's and Jim DeFelice's latest, if not greatest "ROGUE WARRIOR" novel, "DOMINO THEORY"; while reading my latest gun magazines, if you know what I mean, which is not hard as long as I can use my dear old mama's credit card. I also view and listen to "Dual Survival" on TV, and hope and pray that it is never me who has to exist and survive in the wild; because it does not look like fun, with or without a gun. :roll:
Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 pm
A new book called: The Dog Stars, by author Peter Heller - great long term survival post SHTF read. As an added bonus, the protagonists' partner is a Misanthropist, gun-nut like Rich who had stocked up on guns, grenades & mortars prior to SHTF. Highly recommended read - I just got a copy from the local library, and burned through it in a day & a half. :egrin:

US NAVY VETERAN

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:23 pm
AlanM wrote:
petergunn wrote:
Strictly fiction- Lucifer’s Hammer.

"Now I know what a duck's eye view of a shotgun blast looks like."
from Lucifer's Hammer.

I guess that I am gonna have to give that book a try again. I got through the first 75 or 80 pages before I had to put it down. The plot seemed "slow" and I just couldn't seem ot "get into it".

I'll try to stick with it a little longer.

A "must read" for those who carry a handgun for their defense:

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm
7V8 wrote:
AlanM wrote:
petergunn wrote:
Strictly fiction- Lucifer’s Hammer.

"Now I know what a duck's eye view of a shotgun blast looks like."
from Lucifer's Hammer.

I guess that I am gonna have to give that book a try again. I got through the first 75 or 80 pages before I had to put it down. The plot seemed "slow" and I just couldn't seem ot "get into it".

I'll try to stick with it a little longer.

Give it a chance man ... you will miss the cannibal army unit the protagonist has to fight! :egrin:

US NAVY VETERAN

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next