Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author
Post subject: Re: First Aid and Combat Life Saver
Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:15 pm
Skip_Cross wrote:
Our instructor even offered the opinion that soon, even rescue breathing will be done away with - only rapid chest compressions and AED if available.

Here's the skinny on doing away with mouth-to-mouth. In essence, the conclusion is that one is better off getting compressions than no help at all.

Quote:
In April, 2008, the American Heart Association (AHA) took steps to simplify the process of helping victims of cardiac arrest by introducing "hands-only" CPR. Since only about 1/3 of people who suffer a cardiac arrest at home or at a public place actually receive help, bystanders could be afraid to initiate CPR for fear that they'll do something wrong or won't know what to do. Others may be reluctant to perform mouth-to-mouth breathing for fear of contracting an infection.

[Emphasis is mine.]

Source: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/m ... ekey=88449
Post subject: Re: First Aid and Combat Life Saver
Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:00 am
I thought I'd chime in on this. I've had a good amount of combat life saver courses as well as some advanced live tissue stuff but about 3 weeks ago I was on the can. Had no idea what was going on but when I start to walk downstairs my wife was frantically running around and told me Tom(my neighbor) shot himself. I was completely confused until Tom walked by leaking blood through the house. It wasn't arterial, my wife was already dressed(I was half naked. sexy, i know) so I threw him a light colored towel and told him to keep pressure while my wife drove him to the hospital. Someone had to stay with the baby. Turns out he pulled the trigger on his Glock to take the slide off thinking he had an empty chamber and surprise! Needless to say he was fine but the doc said if he wouldn't have put pressure on it he would have lost a lot of blood. I was considering a tourniquet but didn't see it necessary. My wife heard something but said it definitely did not sound like a .45 and they were literally no more than 15 ft apart(apt complex). He could have blown his brains out and we would have never known. Thank God it didn't go through the wall and hit my wife or 6 month old. If this is inappropriate feel free to delete it but I thought this might help people think twice about not knowing simple CLS at the very least. If we had not been home, he could have lost A LOT of blood.

Attachments:

IMG956376(2).jpg
IMG956376(2).jpg [ 63.11 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]

Happiness is found in a belt-fed weapon. Who said you can't buy happiness? It's just not cheap!
 Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2