Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Emergency Water Purification....
Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:26 am
I read it but I don't think it was talking about long term storage but for use right away.
You definitely want to pre-treat the water for storage. Also try to keep your supply away from sunlight.

Member of USCCA, BCSC, BSSA, NRA, OFCC
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Emiliano Zapata
Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:23 pm
When I need to use my well for household water, I poured a gallon of plain jane bleach down the well, let the well stand for a day, Then pumped some of the water out, probably 40 gallons. Then the water was potable.

My well gets used during summer for farm use. If it stood unused, I would pour the bleach in the well, let it stand for a day, then pump the well out. Then the next day the water would be potable. One of the old timers around here told me to do this and it does work.

I can put a couple of filters in the well's water line, so that will filter out any solids and most of the taste of the well. The water is drinkable without the filters.

Jerry

A Closed Mouth Gathers No Foot

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Gun Owners of America
Crossbow Nation
American Legion
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 am
I've searched for a 5 or so gal. woodfired water distiller, and I don't see one, is it out there?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:10 pm
Anybody?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:41 pm
ohiobruce wrote:
I've searched for a 5 or so gal. woodfired water distiller, and I don't see one, is it out there?

I don't believe you'll find one - the ATF won't allow them to be sold.

--
James Beatty
Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:38 pm
jabeatty I called the ATF the other day and according to them you're wrong. Care to cite your references to your answer? Best you can would be good enough.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:41 pm
ohiobruce wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8112081_diy-woo ... iller.html

I used an old pressure cooker that has a cracked lid I got at a garage sale. Drilled out the hole where the weight goes, put a copper fitting in attached some copper tube. The clean water side I used food grade pails for the clean water.

To speed up the condensating process I would put a wet towel on the coil.

As long as you don't try to make moonshine I don't see a problem. I wish I didn't leave it at the camp site in Idaho when I left in '98.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:40 pm
Quote:
Under Federal rules administered by TTB, it depends on how you use the still. You may not produce alcohol with these stills unless you qualify as a distilled spirits plant (see earlier question). However, owning a small still and using it for other purposes is allowed. You should also check with your State and local authorities - their rules may differ.

A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol. Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules.

Source: http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s3

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 am
Water would have to be pretty contaminated to require distillation wouldn't it ? As opposed to just boiling ?

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 am
willbird wrote:
Water would have to be pretty contaminated to require distillation wouldn't it ? As opposed to just boiling ?

That depends on the chemical(s) in the water.

Boiling only kills and neutralizes the stuff that will evaporate or become neutral from the temperatures. We have a lot of heavy metal contamination which will stay right in the pot or concentrate from boiling.

Distilling fixes all the heavier than water mass objects, the living nastiness and some of the chemicals. It does not do much for the ene's or hol's type stuff. A lot of that goes up the pipe in evaporated form unchanged by the temperatures and collects and reforms on the other end of the coil. Again re-concentrating in the capture vessel.

If you want to get rid of VOC's (volatile organic compounds) then carbon filtration and distillation is required. Even then there are probably a few VOC's that require more steps or a repeat process to get pure H2O.

Open air ground water in Ohio is pretty bad in some places. Benzene and toluene like chemicals make distilling just one part of the process.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:59 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
willbird wrote:

That depends on the chemical(s) in the water.

Boiling only kills and neutralizes the stuff that will evaporate or become neutral from the temperatures. We have a lot of heavy metal contamination which will stay right in the pot or concentrate from boiling.

Distilling fixes all the heavier than water mass objects, the living nastiness and some of the chemicals. It does not do much for the ene's or hol's type stuff. A lot of that goes up the pipe in evaporated form unchanged by the temperatures and collects and reforms on the other end of the coil. Again re-concentrating in the capture vessel.

If you want to get rid of VOC's (volatile organic compounds) then carbon filtration and distillation is required. Even then there are probably a few VOC's that require more steps or a repeat process to get pure H2O.

Open air ground water in Ohio is pretty bad in some places. Benzene and toluene like chemicals make distilling just one part of the process.

BUT, with an improvised still how can you possibly know that you are removing those things ??...the stuff that boils at a lower point than water will still be in your distilled product, say methanol as just one example ?? Benzene too, it boils at 176.2f, Toluene is 231. If I HAD to I'd have a shot at holding the water at 200f for several hours in an open container, then only boiling off some fraction to distill, and use the rest for something else. Surface runoff water here cannot be TOO bad because they have a HUGE pumping station not far from here made to pump surface runoff water for municipal use. Tiffen River Pumping station. Sounds like they have a 4 million gallon per day pump and an 8 million gallon per day pump, they usually use the 4 million per day pump.

http://www.archboldbuckeye.com/news/201 ... laims.html

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:13 am
That is pretty much what I was trying to say. You can't just distill the water. Other filtration has to occur to get all the nasty stuff out. I am sure the municipal station is employing several techniques to get that done.

Also keep in mind they consider acceptable levels of some things. What they consider acceptable and what I consider acceptable are two very different things.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 am
What about Humidifer water?
Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
That is pretty much what I was trying to say. You can't just distill the water. Other filtration has to occur to get all the nasty stuff out. I am sure the municipal station is employing several techniques to get that done.

Also keep in mind they consider acceptable levels of some things. What they consider acceptable and what I consider acceptable are two very different things.

Most of their treatment from the little I have read involves forcing solids in suspension to settle out, then hit it with some chlorine. In an end of the world scenario a little benzene is not a big worry IMHO. Some if it has to do with locale too, the same river in Cleveland would be laced with a slew of things that could kill you, and if you dug the sediment there it might actually burn if you lit it ;-).

Condensate from a DEhumidfier or air conditioner can be fairly clean, could be filtered for any dust in the air it came from. Should be able to boil it and drink it though unless you live in a chemical plant :-).

Bill

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:18 am
Be aware of pH when using chlorine for water purification. Some simple pool pH strips are great for this. Bleach will also quickly destroy any carbon filter as the chlorine has a high affinity of the chemical bonding with carbon.
The Lance armstrong site has a good general page for the common treatment methods for hiking. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... -rYpTezJbA

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
 Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next