Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 pm
Does anyone have a recommendation for a hand pump that can be used to supplement an existing in-ground electric water pump, in case power fails? My requirements:
1) Fits on existing well head and does not interfere with existing pump.
2) Works on well that is about 80 feet deep.
3) Can supply water to (pump water into) existing line going to house to pressurize holding tank.

I looked up Bison Pumps which I heard was a good brand. Their pumps can fill a bucket or you can attach a garden hose, but they don't seem to have a way to connect to the existing line to my house.

Any ideas, recommendations or experiences would be appreciated!

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
Post subject: Re: Hand water pump
Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 pm
Haven't used one, but definitely considering the purchase: http://www.simplepump.com/index.html

--
James Beatty
Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 pm
Why not just buy a gas generator or solar panel?

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm
glock23 wrote:
3) Can supply water to (pump water into) existing line going to house to pressurize holding tank.

....Their pumps can fill a bucket or you can attach a garden hose, but they don't seem to have a way to connect to the existing line to my house.

I think that is going to be the hardest part of what you are looking for.

I've seen ads for the Flojak hand pump and it looks good, but I have no experience with it.

As to generators you can run out of gas, solar .... well this is cloudy Ohio....
I'd still like to have all three.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 pm
Put a T in the line that a garden hose will attach to and just keep it capped when not in use. Another option might be 12 volt pumps. You could hook it to a car battery and throw a solar panel on it. Those would be strong enough to pressurize your tank too. It would attach to the existing line that the current pump is on and only need to be swapped out in case of an emergency. When your current pump goes bad replace it with the 12 volt pump on a 12 volt inverter then you'll just need to run a battery to it when you lose power.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:22 am
jabeatty wrote:
Haven't used one, but definitely considering the purchase: http://www.simplepump.com/index.html

... Exactly what I was looking for! I will contact them to get a quote.

Thanks!

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 am
buildit wrote:
Why not just buy a gas generator or solar panel?

I already have a 13 KW natural gas fired generator that works great - when there's gas supplied to it.

I'm looking for something that would give me water in the event of some real disaster that would knockout every utility including my gas supply. Also, the generator isn't designed to run weeks or months, if that's what it comes to.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:32 am
glock23 wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a hand pump that can be used to supplement an existing in-ground electric water pump, in case power fails? My requirements:
1) Fits on existing well head and does not interfere with existing pump.
2) Works on well that is about 80 feet deep.

I looked up Bison Pumps which I heard was a good brand. Their pumps can fill a bucket or you can attach a garden hose, but they don't seem to have a way to connect to the existing line to my house.

Any ideas, recommendations or experiences would be appreciated!

Lehman's is the place for hand pumps, I not sure you'll get one to fit with a submersible in place but I'd still own one, it's plan B for use after the genny ;)

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]