Forum rules

Be sure to read the stickies on the forum index with respect to the sales, tradiing, etc., of firearms and serialized components, which is generally forbidden. Please read http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12519 first.
 Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Pay it forward thread.............
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 am
i hate progressives.......

i will and can do almost everyone of my rounds on a single stage...

of course i do a lot of match as well ... dunno .... just what you prefer

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:41 am
The NRA has an awesome reloading program. I took it myself about 10 years ago and went from having no clue to being able to load my own safe, shootable ammo as soon as I got home and got the new kit set up. Have to give credit to the teacher also, but the program really is a good one. Too bad not many offer it.

I've never had enough interested people at once to put one together. I've offered to show a few people the basics for free but nobody has ever took me up on the offer.

Considering how much we all love shooting, how bad the economy has been and the way ammo keeps going up, it's really a suprise more people aren't into it.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:50 pm
Appreciate the offers but I'm near Columbus / Springfield. Plus I know Rich even though he and I haven't seen each other for about 8 years now. He's the guy who taught me to strip and clean my SKS. Life kind of took us our own ways when I moved out here, so this would be as much an opportunity to learn as catch up with an old friend who I haven't seen in forever. :D

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Rich 2.0 wrote:

You know me "Daniel San", if I can't do it cheap, I just won't do it. :lol: A single stage is what I have heard would be best for reloads on the 45-70 and is the main gun I want it for. Although you never know I might want to do .308, .303, 7.62x54 or 6mm too. :wink: From what I've looked at unless I start shooting competition reloading for the 9mm would be about break even.

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm
buildit wrote:
Rich 2.0 wrote:

You know me "Daniel San", if I can't do it cheap, I just won't do it. :lol: A single stage is what I have heard would be best for reloads on the 45-70 and is the main gun I want it for. Although you never know I might want to do .308, .303, 7.62x54 or 6mm too. :wink: From what I've looked at unless I start shooting competition reloading for the 9mm would be about break even.

You can reload 9mm for a few pennies each if you use cast bullets. Where you been buying a box of 50 9mm for $1.50? :wink:

Joel

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 pm
buildit wrote:
Appreciate the offers but I'm near Columbus / Springfield. Plus I know Rich even though he and I haven't seen each other for about 8 years now. He's the guy who taught me to strip and clean my SKS. Life kind of took us our own ways when I moved out here, so this would be as much an opportunity to learn as catch up with an old friend who I haven't seen in forever. :D

ok i get the hint . let em see what i'm up to next weekend......................

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:48 pm
One of our NRA Training Councelors does a reloading class. If he held one in in Columbus, how many here would be interested?
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:05 pm
If you're just loading for SD practice or paper punching on the range, a progressive is fine.... Dillon nickle & dimes you on a lot of "really good to have" stuff, including a powder checker that'll try to tell you if you've double-charged or not charged a case, but it's probably a good idea. Thus far, I've had a couple squibs - probably no powder. I think it's something I did in the decapper setup.... Gotta spend the $60-ish soon....

(5" .45 seems to pop the ball out of the barrel with just a large pistol primer, so it's more of a nuisance, but....)

If you're loading match, then there are a whole bunch of things that a single stage press (I think I'd buy one for each stage - they're kind of cheap) is better for, and reloading for plinking with something like an AR or SKS may be fine on a progressive too.

Back in the day, when I first got into this at all, a progressive was hilariously expensive, if available at all. I don't like the Lee, but at $100-ish, the price is a good excuse. The Dillon is a little too automatic at times, although you can disable the priming function, which would allow separate depriming, belling, priming (if necessary), and powder charging, if necessary. Somebody mentioned that the 550 is a better choice in that you can have a couple of those instead of changing calibers on the more expensive press. (At least $200, I think, for the 650 unless you're lucky.)

Back to (kinda) topic: I'm not sure if we need reloading classes as much as one-on-one.... A couple of students or less....

Overall, still a good suggestion!

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:21 pm
Alright, to get back on the actual topic, and in the spirit of Christmas, I have a 16 round magazine for a Springfield XD sub-compact 9mm if anyone wants it. I also have the holster that comes with the pistol somewhere if I can find it.

Joel

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:17 pm
Rich 2.0 wrote:
ok i get the hint . let em see what i'm up to next weekend......................

Thanks Rich, anything I can bring? I have 100 rounds or so of of 9mm brass and some .38 spl. :esmile:

Can't find anything I have worth donating that gun related unless someone wants a .22 scope that you could buy at Walmart for $8. :?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 am
yea..........

drop me a line................... :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 am
Rich 2.0 wrote:
yea..........

drop me a line................... :lol:

Uh- oh and open ended response, those never end well for me. :wink: Line dropped. :egrin:

Will the door mat look like this? :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm
NRAInstructor wrote:
Alright, to get back on the actual topic, and in the spirit of Christmas, I have a 16 round magazine for a Springfield XD sub-compact 9mm if anyone wants it. I also have the holster that comes with the pistol somewhere if I can find it.

I will take the magazine if it's still available.

Let me look around here for some goodies to keep this thread going..... :D

Keep your friends close and your .45 closer!
Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm
axgrinder73 wrote:
NRAInstructor wrote:

I will take the magazine if it's still available.

Let me look around here for some goodies to keep this thread going..... :D

Sure, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Joel

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Thanks NRA!!!!!

In keeping the tradition... I offer the following:

- Lyman (Ohaus) beam style reloading scale. It doesn't have a model # but it is similar to a 505.

- 15 pieces of 30-30 brass

- 9 pieces of 270 brass

- 10 pieces of 308 brass

- approx 50 .40 Cal brass

- Magpul AFG in black. claimed by d80buckeye

If you take something, please pay it forward.

Keep your friends close and your .45 closer!
Last edited by axgrinder73 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next