Forum rules

Be sure to read the stickies on the forum index with respect to the sales, tradiing, etc., of firearms and serialized components, which is generally forbidden. Please read http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12519 first.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: How to properly sell a firearm?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:57 pm
I understand that if I meet "Joe" at the corner store and he likes the pistol I'm packin' that he could just buy it on the spot as a private sale.

My question is, how do I privately sell a firearm while still covering all my bases? How can I be sure that "Joe" is on the up 'n up, or, even if "Joe" is on the up 'n up at the time of purchase, and say, next month goes out and commits a crime with the firearm, to what extent am I liable? If Joe sells the gun to Suzie Felon, and the gun is traced back to me, am I liable? If i don't know Joe, and meet him at a gun show, should I ask to see his ID and at least record his name and address for my PERSONAL record, just in case? How do I best CYA (CMA) without the gubment knowing about firearms that I sell? :? :?

Thanks,
cityboy

Victory is mine!
Armchair Elitist and Master of All That is Tacticool.
Post subject: Re: How to properly sell a firearm?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:44 pm
cityboy,

In Ohio you can sell your private collection of firearms, one or more than one, to anyone you want. As a private vendor you are not required to obtain any kind of personal information from the buyer. (NOTE: If I'm wrong on this point someone please correct me). You are not required to have the buyer pass the NICS background check. Your can sell it just like you'd sell a piece of furniture or a garden tool. And you're not reponsible if you unknowingly sell it to the local sociopath, like BTK killer Dennis Rader. Now, aren't you thoroughly comforted by this info?

Personally, I never sell my guns to anyone I don't know. If i don't know them I ask my local FFL-licensed gunshop to sell it for me. Also, if I sell the gun myself I have the buyer sign an acknowledgement giving all the details of the transaction. That's for mine and his/hers reference.

I do not consider the selling of a firearm like selling a piece of furniture or garden tool. I don't sell my guns out of my car trunk or at a removed location on a moonless night. I suggest you also be prudent as to who you sell to.

Greg in Hinckley

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves". - Edward R. Murrow
Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 am
As morbius stated, firearm sales in Ohio are not regulated unless you are federally licensed dealer. However, you can not knowingly sell a firearm to someone who is not legally allowed to possess it and you cannot sell a long gun to someone under 18 nor a handgun to someone under 21. Also, all transactions have to be with another resident of your state.

To CYA, I ask each buyer provide a Bill of Sale so should a BATFE trace ever send LEO my way, I have a record of who it was sold to and when. Here is the form I like to use. http://joe.the-eatons.com/GS_BillofSale.pdf

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:38 pm
JEaton,

Your Bill of Sale form serves nicely in that CYA role that I was looking for. Thanks very much for the idea.

-cityboy

Victory is mine!
Armchair Elitist and Master of All That is Tacticool.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm
I get first dibs on what ever you are selling :)

JK, Also remember to take 2 copies so you can have one complete copy and the other party can also.

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:21 pm
What I have been told is ask to see ID to make sure they are old enough and live in the state of Ohio. Write down their name, date, time, and location you sold the item in case you are ever asked about it.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm
Well, I'll also point out the other side of the coin.

I prefer to not give identification. If asked, I am willing to show an Ohio Driver's license with my thumb covering my name/address, so that at least establishes a reasonable belief of residency. When selling, I will verbally ask them if they are an Ohio resident, of age (18 long gun, 21 handgun), or under firearms disability.

There is a big market out there for firearms, both supply and demand. There are many buyers who prefer an anonymous purchase. That is why I don't walk into a gun store and get papered on the transaction. If it is worth it to you to turn away willing buyers for some useless receipt, have at it.

I think the whole BATF***er trace business is a red herring anyway. Assume the scenario that someone did show up at my door. I respond that, "I sold that to some guy at a gun show. No, I do not have any information." That is where it stops, unless some fanastical scenario occurs like that gun show guy murdering my wife or my boss and leaving the gun at the scene.

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed!

It will become a recovery when Obama loses his job.

Living in the Obamination. Μολών Λαβέ
Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:44 am
a question along the same vein (from a guy who has never bought anywhere but a gunshop or gunshow or a private sale from a friend): what is the proper venue or way to privately sell or buy a fire arm from a private seller when both are OH residents and unknown personally to each other?

I understand that we could meet at an FFL (local gun shop) and pay to have FFL transfer. I there a safe way to buy from a stranger in a private sale (i.e. - some thing locally listed on gunbroker etc...) or is this just too dicey.

The "let's meet at the walmart parking lot" scenario scares me - neither do I want to invite an armed stranger onto my private property or go to his residence. It seems like it is very hard to execute this type of legal sale.

Or is there just no "safe" way to buy a gun from a stranger (other than through an FFL...?) I gues I would just rather pass up the "deal" and pass the extra few bucks for safety (and to have the BATFE know ever gun in my safe :x )

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:46 pm
Sadly

At first thought records seem to be a good idea in a more and more litigious/liberal society.

Privately selling guns (assuming proper age verification) with no records on either side could be considered best. This is how it has always been done. Guns are a possession like any other. To start treating them differently is to go along with where anti-gun thinking is taking us.

Let's know what we're talking about here, ideas have consequences.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:56 pm
Viking wrote:
a question along the same vein (from a guy who has never bought anywhere but a gunshop or gunshow or a private sale from a friend): what is the proper venue or way to privately sell or buy a fire arm from a private seller when both are OH residents and unknown personally to each other?

Meet at a public place during daylight hours and bring a friend. The seller will do the same whether he tells you in advance or not. :)

Try to understand deep down in your gut that the risk of the transaction is the same as if you were buying a lawnmower - anyone you hand cash to has the potential to be armed and to be willing to take more than you're prepared to offer. Gun deals are actually a bit more relaxed, as both parties can assume that everyone present is armed.

--
James Beatty
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:59 pm
Two thumbs up for Mr. Beatty's reply. I dealt with a member here and he showed up alone..I had to get a ride to the meet.. and my ride brought a friend..I thought this guy is gonna drive on after seeing us..but it was a pleasure..no need to check IDs for age..we were all looking like 30+...grey and all.
This forum is pretty tight knit to deal with in my experience. As always..buyer beware..and do a public place. (and leave word with someone about where, who, and what you're doing..just in case)
The "member" I dealt with was not in the "grey and all" meaning..heh..but a super dude.

NRA Life Member EPL
Legal guns.
Dogs.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 pm
If we had to drive to meet to make the deal or a private purchase i would suggest my Gun club, or theirs or a public range, where I could test fire if possible.. : )

I did get burnt once with a Thompson Center Hawken Black powder rifle, it was from the original owner, he had the original purchase reciepts from the 70's, but both barrels the .45 and the .50 turned out to be so rusted out that I couldn't run a wet patch through the barrel.. Gee for some reason when I pointed this out a week later asking for a refund he claimed all sales were final, and he wasn't interested. Grrr.. I now own a bore light that I can drop down a muzzle loaders barrel, to prevent that monkey business in the future.. : (

Most people aren't that unscrupulous, but consider lesson learned here.

Burn me once shame on you, Burn me twice....

--
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:28 pm
jabeatty wrote:
Gun deals are actually a bit more relaxed, as both parties can assume that everyone present is armed.

An armed society . . . . 8)

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed!

It will become a recovery when Obama loses his job.

Living in the Obamination. Μολών Λαβέ
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]