Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post subject: Guns on college campus debate
Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:33 pm
This took place August the 8th 2011.

Quote:
Participants talked about guns on college campuses. Two groups that support giving college students the ability to carry concealed weapons argued that colleges would be safer if students were allowed to possess firearms. State and local politicians, as well as college students and professors spoke about their feelings about allowing concealed handguns on campuses.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Carryo

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: Guns on college campus debate
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am
Wow! 3 hours, 31 minutes, 56 seconds...long video!

- Tim

Sig Sauer P226R . 40 (Duty gun)
Glock 27 Gen4 .40 (Backup/CCW gun)
Glock 26 Gen4 9mm (Wife's gun)
Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:29 pm
thanks for reminding me, i was going to look for that video

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:31 pm
I watched the whole thing although most of it was in the back ground while I did other stuff..

damn that's long, mostly nothing we haven't heard before though.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:07 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
I watched the whole thing although most of it was in the back ground while I did other stuff..

damn that's long, mostly nothing we haven't heard before though.

I feel the same way. It was in the background.

Always makes me laugh when the Brady bunch states how they feel safe that the audiance is unarmed.

Also, the Brady bunch guy (former VA Tech shooting victim) is doomed to let history repeat itself. What a moron!

- Tim

Sig Sauer P226R . 40 (Duty gun)
Glock 27 Gen4 .40 (Backup/CCW gun)
Glock 26 Gen4 9mm (Wife's gun)
Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 pm
Ya I know I respect his opinion and courage that he came to speak surrounded by a bunch of "gun nuts"
but it was kinda funny.. John had all these facts and figures and then he comes out and starts speaking about emotions and his exp during the shooting.

It's kinda like me saying 5+5 = 10, and then someone else starts telling me about a 10lb fish they once caught.

Wut?

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 pm
He talked about how he was frozen with fear then goes on to talk about others that did things to survive. Like the guy laying on the floor holding the classroom door closed with his feet. If that guy had the presence of mind to lock the threat out that way then I think he could have just as easily shot the threat. He said it himself that he and a bunch of people just froze up but not all did.

The problem here is he can't get past his own reaction even after seeing that others in the same situation did not react the way he did. If one of those people had a gun...Mental block...does not compute...fear fear fear...overwhelming fear....guns bad.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:15 pm
I teach part time at a local University and it kills me to have to lock my firearm up before walking across campus and into my class. This is an issue that should have been settled a long time ago. There is no reason why people who can have a permit across the street would suddenly become incoherent dangerous felons who settle disputes in class by shooting someone as the morons on the left try to say. When you think about the arguments they use it really is devoid of any logic!

Fortune Hunter

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:49 pm
I really don't think the current legislature would pass campus carry, and if they did Taft (oops I mean Kasich) may veto it. They may, however, be willing to entertain campus carry for faculty (who have a CHL) only. Then there could potentially be a weapon in every classroom and on the way to every classroom, but only in faculty parking lots. It may deter a Virginia Tech. style attack. Then after some time of no murder and mayhem by the professors on college campuses, maybe the legislature would be willing to open it up to all CHL holders.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:01 am
Liberty wrote:
I really don't think the current legislature would pass campus carry, and if they did Taft (oops I mean Kasich) may veto it. They may, however, be willing to entertain campus carry for faculty (who have a CHL) only. Then there could potentially be a weapon in every classroom and on the way to every classroom, but only in faculty parking lots. It may deter a Virginia Tech. style attack. Then after some time of no murder and mayhem by the professors on college campuses, maybe the legislature would be willing to open it up to all CHL holders.

I'm older (and perhaps wiser) than some of my professors...why should I be excluded?

Just sayin...

Beth

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -Anon.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:12 am
Bang Bang Beth wrote:
Liberty wrote:

I'm older (and perhaps wiser) than some of my professors...why should I be excluded?

Just sayin...

You shouldn't be excluded. I am just saying that this may be a way to there and provide some protection in the interim. Incremental steps seem to be the only way that we are able to get our freedoms back.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 am
Quote:

I think this is a great first step. I absolutely hate how our freedom and liberties when it comes to CCW have had to come about in Ohio. We started with a deeply flawed bill and have needed what is now approaching a decade to make it semi-usable and friendly to gun rights, but honestly it still has a very long way to go. However I am not sure waiting for the perfect bill and perfect Congressional make-up would have ever yielded a CCW bill.

If we get this piece in place then at least it lowers the chance of a Virgina Tech style killing and moves us even closer to full campus carry, which where we need to be.

Quote:

I totally agree, but unfortunately I don't see Ohio ever swallowing this whole if it ever does. Ohio has always been a state of half measures and the need to fight to the death for every improvement in CCW and I doubt this will be any different. Just look how hard and long we had to fight for restaurant carry, which every state surrounding us had it for a long time. Look how vehemently the newspapers demonized the idea. Can you imagine what the rhetoric will be like "when you introduce guns into schools" which you know is exactly how the anti-gun crowd and their accomplices in the newspapers will spin this.

Fortune Hunter

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:05 pm
Liberty wrote:

Well, if we are going with an incremental approach, please make it faculty and staff with CHL.

Tanfoglio 45/22 Target Pistol
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:36 am
kb8dnr wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Well, if we are going with an incremental approach, please make it faculty and staff with CHL.

Yeah but then guess who's the first target when the gunman opens fire in a classroom.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 am
Pretherius wrote:
kb8dnr wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Yeah but then guess who's the first target when the gunman opens fire in a classroom.

Is this not perpetuating one of the Brady Bunch's myths that carrying a weapon makes you a target and creates crime? If your assumption is right, then the best way to make everyone safe is to completely ban firearms.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next