Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Post subject: Re: Guns on college campus debate
Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:36 pm
If you wanted to take the liberal/elitist versus the conservative common-man route :lol: for the debate, it's worth remembering that there's plenty of custodial, maintenance, and other "working" staff at any university. "Staff" or employees aren't just those who run the office phones or are nose-to-the-grindstone on the benchtops as "white-collar." :wink: :smile: Among these are people who show up to work long before (or after) the majority of the usual work-shift have left or are yet due to arrive, who would very much desire to be able to arm themselves for self-defense, especially considering that a number of large universities are located - in part if not in-whole - in less-than-desirable areas of major cities. Especially given that many of these honest, hard-working folk travel by foot or bicycle during those off-hours, though just those areas - where some also live due to the simple fact that, because of various factors, they are trapped in low-wage jobs.

Even among "the academic elite," there are more than a few who are pro-2A and pro-legal-concealed-carry. Sadly, many of these individuals fell to the pressures of "academia," where firearms are considered by the majority to be inherently evil. I have spoken to older professors who tell stories of hunting or range trips that originate from their labs/offices, much like how some keep golf clubs at their workplaces, today.

-Allen
Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:22 pm
I dont understand the debate. The 2a was designed so that you had the right to defend yourself no matter what imaginary line you crossed in the USA, private or public. Why do folks think that some arbitrary line of public use property excepts those on campus from our founding principals?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 am
I wonder how long before the Supreme Court decides that the "bare" part of keep and bear arms is a fundamental right, same as "keep". Seems to me, that would open up the ability to sue for civil rights deprivation. Then at least OSU and OU as well as others would be forced to recognize our rights. A method to deal with private schools would be to require anyone prohibiting arms would face triple damages should they fail to keep the public safe.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 pm
The gun control folks like to throw the out the fact that Heller provides for reasonable restriction on "place and time" which is true; however their definition of "reasonable restriction" is anything but. That having been said, it's already been decided that constitutionality does not nullify gun free zones, so I wouldn't wait on SCOTUS to get us campus concealed carry.

The problem is always of course, arguing emotion versus logic. That being the case, I found that a lot of time, placing a face to "gun owner" changes things (not much, but a little.) When that subject comes up, after a little bit I'd ask, "well, if I had a gun on me would you stop trusting me?" What typically follows is hemming and hawing and, "well, you're not too bad..." and then a reminder that CHL's come with classroom requirements and background checks and standards (Constitutional or not, they're there) and it usually ends with a, "well I just don't like it" and that can't be argued with, just exposed for irrationality.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:42 pm
Here is an article about a student at Dartmouth requesting a permit because she is being stalked. School says no. When her stalker gets out of lock up and comes looking for her will the school guarantee her safety?

http://personalliberty.com/dartmouth-st ... officials/

If gun control laws work then why haven't they worked?

A republican that wants to defund or repeal obamacare is a terrorist.
A murderer who kills 13 at an army base in the name of Islam is a disgruntled employee.

These people think you should be able to own guns:
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison,
Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr.

These people think you shouldn't:
King George III, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin,
Mao Zedong, Kim Jong Il, Barack Obama

NRA Endowment Life member

Cogito, ergo sum armatus
Molon labe
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:16 am
The people who needs protection for any reason should be allowed to carry gun even at campuses. Police can't protect anyone nor universities or college can provide you security unfortunately.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:58 am
Mystic A:

Welcome Aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that's worth a look, but not mandatory. More sleep inducing than anything else, but you may learn a few things. Or not :D....

I was fortunate enough to have gone to college a long time ago. Before a buddy of mine took off his jacket one day to reveal a 4" Taurus (.38Spl) in a shoulder rig, not a heck of a lot was said by anybody but the kids protesting Vietnam. (They didn't even want Campus Police on campus.) After that it got a little noisy, but most of the guys who were carrying (like me) were some kind of LEO, or very discreet.

At that time, the University was "buried" in a somewhat hazardous neighborhood. That there were various LEOs on campus was a good disincentive for the "bad guys" to prospect elsewhere.

Not anymore....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3