Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:04 pm
On the internet, I keep seeing all these other State Legislatures passing pro-gun bills and yet in Ohio, silence! The other states are doing more in 2 months than Ohio will do in the next 2 years!

I keep wondering if Ohio Republicans are such pro-gun candidates, why do they need to be lobbied and sweet talked into getting a little bit of pro-gun legislation passed. Why do we have to wait for the lame duck session to get action?

As a Republican, I guarantee if I was a legislator, I would legislate some pro-gun bills without the need of the pro-gun lobbies pushing me every step of the way. I'd be passing pro-gun bills! I would be happy for the support of the pro-gun lobbies but I would not wait for them to push me into doing what I know is right!

I must admit, that I am jealous watching the other State Legislatures passing bills out in the open, not behind closed doors and in silence waiting for the lame duck session! It is really sad!

px

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Post subject: Re: Why not Ohio??
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:22 pm
i second the motion.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

learning is good .understanding is better .pleas teach with wisdom
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:32 pm
Nebraska
Nebraska: Stand Your Ground Legislation to be Heard Friday in Judiciary Committee
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015022 ... -committee

N Dakota
North Dakota: Two Pro-Gun Bills Before the House of Representatives Tomorrow
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015022 ... s-tomorrow

S Dakota
South Dakota: Senate Judiciary Committee to Hear Two NRA-Backed, Pro-Gun Pieces of Legislation
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015022 ... egislation

Arizona
Arizona: Pro-Gun Bills Pass Through Committees
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015022 ... committees

Wisconsin
Wisconsin lawmaker wants to repeal handgun waiting period
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... n-waiting/

W Virginia
State Senate sets sights on new handgun regulations
http://www.register-herald.com/news/sta ... c6ef5.html

Texas
Shell shock
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/opinio ... e6fa1.html

Virginia
Virginia: Report on Legislative Action for the Week of February 20
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015022 ... ebruary-20

Colorado
Colorado: Testify Monday in Support of Senate Bill to Repeal Arbitrary Magazine Ban
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015022 ... gazine-ban

Tennessee
Make gun-carry permits optional
http://www.tennessean.com/news/

Montana
Montana: Pro-Gun Bills are Progressing in the Legislature, Your Action Needed
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015021 ... ion-needed

and there are more . . .

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:32 pm
Ohio moves slowly, in both directions.
I do not know the particulars of why.
While we're inching more pro-gun we're not taking wide leaps backwards either.

Ohio is far from a trail blazer, Seems like we're usually waiting till something hit's 2/3rd of the country before it's progressed forward here

Probably does not help that the largest cities in the state have anti-gun mayors.
I am so sick of coleman and not just because of his stance on guns but he's trying to make Columbus NY jr.

He should be locked up for what he's doing to the river front downtown.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:00 pm
One thing to keep in mind is Ohio has one of the longest legislative calendars of all 50 states. We are one of the very few that go two years. I'll take some of your states above....

North Dakota - Ends April 29, 2015. Won't meet again till January 2017.
South Dakota - Ends March 30, 2015. Won't meet again till January 2016.
Arizona - Ends April 25, 2015. Won't meet again till January 2016.
West Virginia - Ends March 14, 2015. Won't meet again till January 2016.

I could go on with your list, but would take a while. Look at this list here.... http://www.statescape.com/resources/Ses ... sions.aspx

So legislatures have lots of time to think on bills in Ohio where in other states, the bills generally die at the end of the session and are not carried over to the following year. I've yet to figure out which is a better method. It could go either way.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:34 pm
I sometimes wonder if those two year terms aren't done partially as to allow more time for gathering lobbyist $$$$, uh, I mean, input from grassroots activists.

Columbus certainly takes their time seeing which way the wind is blowing on most proposed laws before taking action.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:25 pm
I think Brian has it right! Follow the money trail.

Maybe they should just meet for six months every two years and either do their job or just go home! We'd probably be able to save some taxpayer dollars through reduced salaries to the Reps and their staff! But, then again they'd probably pay themselves for the whole two years even though they didn't work.

I guess I'm just not a politician so I will never understand the "intricacies" of their job! :roll:
I'm just a poor working stiff expecting my representatives to do their job and do what they say they will in a timely fashion.
I think tomorrow I will go to work and tell my boss that I'll finish my work in at the end of the next two years and see what happens????

px

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:35 pm
PX4_Storm wrote:
I think Brian has it right! Follow the money trail.

Maybe they should just meet for six months every two years and either do their job or just go home! We'd probably be able to save some taxpayer dollars through reduced salaries to the Reps and their staff! But, then again they'd probably pay themselves for the whole two years even though they didn't work.

I guess I'm just not a politician so I will never understand the "intricacies" of their job! :roll:
I'm just a poor working stiff expecting my representatives to do their job and do what they say they will in a timely fashion.
I think tomorrow I will go to work and tell my boss that I'll finish my work in at the end of the next two years and see what happens????

px

You are on the right track with pay. Look at this....

http://ballotpedia.org/Comparison_of_st ... e_salaries

Ohio is one of the highest paid. Combine that with the other link I posted above and you will see the higher pay is justified as they work my days. So, if we changed to just meet, work, and get it done in 100 days, then we'd probably be able to go with a much lower pay and also see much faster action on bills.

The problem is the people need to speak out for the change and I think most are happy with our slow process in Ohio.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:20 am
I know the original intent of the long sessions was to allow for robust debate over issues. But that was also before the internet when researching an issue meant going to the library and reading through dozens of texts on a specific issue. Now a days you have all of that information at your fingertips in a smartphone so perhaps it is time for Ohio to shorten it's legilsative sessions. I've had the idea for several years that the "Representative" form of government may have run it's course. The original idea of a representative was to be the voice of the people over distance. With today's technology, that distance is erased and the peoples voice can be communicated without the elected mouthpiece, without the lobbying, without the grandstanding and posturing. Let folks vote directly on how they want to be governed. I bet we'd have less laws, a lot less legal BS and a lot more freedom.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:33 pm
I've never heard that our Representative form of government had anything to do with distance. Even in those days they could travel the 13 original colonies/states in a reasonable time.

I've always understood that through divided representative government, it would be harder for the 51% to tyrannize the 49%. Especially the way it was originally written where the Senators were elected by the States and not the people so they would vote what's best for the state as opposed to being at the whim of public opinion.

I could be wrong . . .

I found a few quotes about what our Founding Fathers thought of Democracy, though:

Quote:
John Quincy Adams - “The experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived.”

Noah Webster - “In democracy … there are commonly tumults and disorders … Therefore a pure democracy is generally a very bad government. It is often the most tyrannical government on earth.”

James Madison - “Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.”

John Adams - “Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.”

px

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:25 pm
Unfortunately, the way it has played out, 20% tyranize the 80%. By that I mean the 20% being 10% the left and 10% on the right wealthiest tyranizing the 80% in the middle (and the 10% on the losing side so more like 90%) no matter what way they lean. Whatever political donations the 80% muster up are generally peanuts compared to what the 20% does. Organizations such as BFA, NRA, etc can help pool our resources for the common good, but even this organization has it's share of 10% donors that make it go.

I guess the bottom line is, I think the political proces has been corrupted with cash at all levels and on both sides of the asile and I'm trying to think of ways around it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 am
Part of the problem with our government today is the party system. While this arose almost immediately upon the founding of the nation, today we are approaching a parliamentary type system where the parties control the votes instead of the representatives' constituents. There are a lot of representatives and senators that would vote differently from what the party wanted based upon their constituents' wishes, but the party seems to have taken priority in the last few years, leading to much of the gridlock we now have.

-- Mike
Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:23 am
CW78 wrote:
I guess the bottom line is, I think the political proces has been corrupted with cash at all levels and on both sides of the asile and I'm trying to think of ways around it.

I agree wholeheartedly! Follow the money trail!

In the end, I guess we will all just keep voting Republican and then sit back like good little boys and girls, keep quiet and accept the occasional little bone they throw to us and then praise them for the "great" good they have done!

px

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:45 pm
CW78 wrote:
I know the original intent of the long sessions was to allow for robust debate over issues. But that was also before the internet when researching an issue meant going to the library and reading through dozens of texts on a specific issue. Now a days you have all of that information at your fingertips in a smartphone so perhaps it is time for Ohio to shorten it's legilsative sessions. I've had the idea for several years that the "Representative" form of government may have run it's course. The original idea of a representative was to be the voice of the people over distance. With today's technology, that distance is erased and the peoples voice can be communicated without the elected mouthpiece, without the lobbying, without the grandstanding and posturing. Let folks vote directly on how they want to be governed. I bet we'd have less laws, a lot less legal BS and a lot more freedom.

We need "like" buttons on this forum

- Tim

Sig Sauer P226R . 40 (Duty gun)
Glock 27 Gen4 .40 (Backup/CCW gun)
Glock 26 Gen4 9mm (Wife's gun)
Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:58 am
FireEMSPolice wrote:
CW78 wrote:
... Let folks vote directly on how they want to be governed. I bet we'd have less laws, a lot less legal BS and a lot more freedom.

We need "like" buttons on this forum

Being governed by Representatives is not very good.
Being governed by the mob would be worse.
No thanks.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next