Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: W.Va. Senate voted to override Gov veto on Const Carry
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:29 pm
The West Virginia Senate has voted to override Governor Tomblin's veto on the conceal carry bill.

On Saturday, the Senate voted to override the veto in a 23-11 vote. On Friday, the House of Delegates voted to override the bill.

The bill will do away with the state’s permit and training requirements to carry a concealed weapon. The bill also will require those between 18-21 to get training and the permit.

The bill will now become law in 90 days.

Governor Tomblin issued the following statement on Saturday after the announcement of the override:

“West Virginia’s law enforcement officers have dedicated their lives to keeping us safe and helping us in times of need, and it’s disheartening that the members of the Legislature have chosen not to stand with these brave men and women – putting their safety and the safety of West Virginians at risk. It’s unfortunate that the concerns of officers from every law enforcement branch in the state, including the West Virginia State Police and university campus police officers, have been ignored by today’s action."

http://www.wdtv.com/wdtv.cfm?func=view& ... arry-29162

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)
Post subject: Re: W.Va. Senate voted to override Gov veto on Const Carry
Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:24 am
WVRiflemannOH wrote:
...Governor Tomblin issued the following statement on Saturday after the announcement of the override:

“West Virginia’s law enforcement officers have dedicated their lives to keeping us safe and helping us in times of need, and it’s disheartening that the members of the Legislature have chosen not to stand with these brave men and women – putting their safety and the safety of West Virginians at risk. It’s unfortunate that the concerns of officers from every law enforcement branch in the state, including the West Virginia State Police and university campus police officers, have been ignored by today’s action."...

Kind of sad to see an elected official support the money of the unions rather than the will of the PEOPLE.

Thank heavens for term limits.

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:38 pm
Any police officer who doesn't respect my rights, doesn't deserve any respect at all.

3FULLMAGS+1
They say the best "Home Remedy" for Tyranny is... LEAD POISONING!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:42 pm
I find it interesting that even coming from another state, WV supports your right to protect yourself more than your own state.....This is true freedom folks and Ohio and other states need to wake up and treat it's people the same way....This is a right, not a suggested belief...How we lost them is not clear but they need to be fixed...Tired of being denied our rights based on criminal activities and what the state "is scared" for citizens to protect themselves.....When the Government fears the people there is freedom, when the people fear the government, there is tyranny....

The legislation allowed for those between the ages of 18 and 20 to carry a concealed firearm after they have completed an approved safety course and successfully been issued a conceal carry permit by their county sheriff’s office. However, Morgan noted, that’s for a gun only.

“They can carry a concealed handgun, but they need to understand though that other deadly weapons they cannot,” said Morgan. “It will be a very serious charge if somebody is for example carrying a concealed pocket knife with a blade longer than three and a half inches.”

The measure also addressed any other type weapon such as brass knuckles. The legislation actually elevated the charge from a misdemeanor to a felony and is punishable by 10 years in prison. Furthermore, the new law did not allow for those between 18 and 21 to buy a gun over the counter.

“It will be an heirloom type situation or family type situation,” Morgan said. “They cannot go to an FFL license dealer and purchase a handgun.”

For those 21 and over, come June 5th you can carry a concealed handgun without a permit within the state of West Virginia. Morgan added however, all of those who are presently excluded from carrying a gun are still excluded.

“This isn’t just anybody. You cannot be a prohibited person,” he said. “That whole list stays the same. You cannot be a convicted felon, convicted of domestic violence, addicted to drugs, adjudicated mentally defective, etc. ect. All of that still applies.”

Furthermore, the legislation allowed for the conceal carry provision within the borders of West Virginia only. Reciprocity agreements remain in place with 38 other states and you will still need a West Virginia conceal carry permit to exercise your rights in the other states.

“You will be arrested without a license across the Ohio River. If you go into Ohio without a West Virginia license you will be committing a crime and they will lock you up for it,” Morgan noted.

Although the training would no longer be a requirement after June 5th, Morgan said his organization still encouraged anyone who plans to carry a gun to take the course anyway. It will also be required if you need to get the permit to carry a gun in another state.

Taking the training and obtaining the permit will also earn you a West Virginia state tax credit of $50. The measure was amended into the bill as an incentive for people to still get the license even if it is not required. The tax credit provision survived the legislative process and will remain part of the law.

One of the key fears of those opposed to the measure was out-of-state residents who will bring guns into West Virginia. Morgan said the law did allow for anyone from out-of-state to be armed without a conceal carry permit, however, if that person engaged in criminal activity with the concealed firearm they will not only face charges for the crime they’ve committed, but the new law added an additional sentence of up to 10 years in prison for committing a crime with a gun.
http://wvmetronews.com/2016/03/07/const ... I.facebook

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:39 pm
I find it silly that a spokesperson just had to say that carrying a concealed knife will still be treated harshly by the legal system, even if the person doing so isn't engaged in any true criminal behavior. Gun is fine, knife, no-no.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:34 pm
You can tell some of the so called leaders were mad about this law change....So, they will get you back on anything else if you do not comply......Sad times we are living, you get anger and revenge if you do not agree with someone....

Brian D. wrote:
I find it silly that a spokesperson just had to say that carrying a concealed knife will still be treated harshly by the legal system, even if the person doing so isn't engaged in any true criminal behavior. Gun is fine, knife, no-no.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 am
Brian D. wrote:

I think that was strategically placed there for those with 'common sense' to read.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
You can tell some of the so called leaders were mad about this law change....So, they will get you back on anything else if you do not comply......Sad times we are living, you get anger and revenge if you do not agree with someone...

From people who work for you, no less.

Recoil.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:53 pm
WTH is that suppose to mean?

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
You can tell some of the so called leaders were mad about this law change....So, they will get you back on anything else if you do not comply......Sad times we are living, you get anger and revenge if you do not agree with someone...

From people who work for you, no less.[/quote]

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:48 pm
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
From people who work for you, no less.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
WTH is that suppose to mean?

Getting anger and revenge from those you voted into public office?

The public employees that work for you?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 am
Got it MWSY, you are correct....

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]