Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post subject: Where is BFA on Constitutional Carry in Ohio?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:21 am
Been receiving updates from numerous other sites for a bill being proposed by State Representative Ron Hood but have not even seen anything from BFA or even the NRA about the support to get this bill to even committee.WTH gives? Not even showing up in the news feed from either of them. Or, have I just missed them?

State Representative Ron Hood is only a few days away from revealing the Ohio Constitutional Carry Act!

The Ohio Constitutional Carry Act would make it so you would no longer have to pay the government or ask permission from government in order to carry a concealed firearm in Ohio to protect yourself or loved ones.

Now, if you’d like to get a Concealed Handgun License or keep the one you already have for reciprocity or whatever reason you have, you would be able to do so - Ohio Gun Owners

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... egislators

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)
Post subject: Re: Where is BFA on Constitutional Carry in Ohio?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:02 am
No offense, but I and others have been asking them for the text of this and other bills they have been talking about for quite some time - and are still waiting. If they want the bills to be taken seriously and desire other organizations to get on board and support them, they must be willing to share the text so it can be read, evaluated, and if necessary, adjustments made.

Just my two cents worth.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
No offense, but I and others have been asking them for the text of this and other bills they have been talking about for quite some time - and are still waiting. If they want the bills to be taken seriously and desire other organizations to get on board and support them, they must be willing to share the text so it can be read, evaluated, and if necessary, adjustments made.

Just my two cents worth.

Never mind, it would seem there was no support for such an outrageous restoration of our right in Columbus. Just got this letter from Troy Balderson State Senator, Ohio Senate District 20

I wonder why?

Representative Hood introduced a bill in the 131st General Assembly that proposed revisions of concealed handgun licensing. However, this legislation was not passed by the House State Government Committee. Therefore, this legislation is no longer active. In the 132nd General Assembly, I am not aware of any pending legislation regarding this topic currently. However, I will be sure to keep your thoughts and concerns in mind if future legislation regarding this topic is introduced.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:55 am
There are quite a few legislators who want to pass Constitutional Carry, but recognize the Kasich would veto it. I spoke with a bunch of them this week in person. From their perspective, it is not worth the fight until we have a more 2A friendly governor. (That's my interpretation of I heard.)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 pm
Since when is Kasich considered anti-2A? He said he would sign anything that comes across his desk that is pro 2A and he has.

NRA Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:14 pm
Good news, Ohio State Rep Hood and Brinksman reworded the Constitutional Carry Law to be reintroduced to committee and needs co-sponsors to get a vote. here is what I sent and to e-mail link ......Representative,

Ohioans have waited a long time for Constitutional Carry.

With the largest pro-gun majorities in Ohio history, and with Constitutional Carry on the move throughout the country, 2017 is the year to make it happen.

Please do your part by cosponsoring the Ohio Constitutional Carry Act (Draft # L_132_0035-1) by Representatives Hood and Brinkman right away! https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... egislators

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:16 pm
As you know, Constitutional Carry is the simple idea that if you’re legally able to own a firearm, you’re legally able to carry one for self-defense. Period.

But let’s take a look at some of the particulars of the bill.

>>> First, it would change Section 2923.111 of the Ohio Revised
Code (ORC), restoring the right to carry a concealed firearm - to anyone not legally prohibited by law - without getting a permit.

No government permission, no taxes and fees, and no name being entered in a government database just to exercise your Second Amendment Rights.

>>> Second, Constitutional Carry would make the current permit
system optional for those who wish to get or renew a CCW for purposes of reciprocity.

Family vacations, out-of-state employment, travel to see family – depending on the state you’re visiting, your CCW might still be necessary.

>>> Third, Constitutional Carry would remove the “duty to notify”
a law enforcement officer that you’re carrying a firearm from Section 2923.12 and other sections of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC).

Free speech, freedom to assemble and freedom to worship are rights you’re free to exercise without notifying law-enforcement, and the Second Amendment should be no different.

In fact, we’ve been in touch with myriad of law enforcement who tell us that’s the way it should be – because the bad guys won’t tell them anyway!

But it’s important to remember there’s things that Constitutional Carry doesn’t do.

It doesn’t allow criminals to carry a firearm if they’ve been adjudicated otherwise by the courts.

Just because a permit is no longer needed to legally carry a firearm, it doesn’t allow, empower or enable a criminal to carry one!

And carrying a firearm during the commission of a crime is still a punishable offense, just as it is now.

But it’s also important to keep in mind that Constitutional Carry does NOT address the problem we have in Ohio where cities are creating their own anti-gun ordinances.

We’re adamantly opposed to “gun-free zones” and agree it’s a serious issue – but one that we’ll address in other legislation designed to put fangs into Ohio’s preemption statute (9.68).

So those are the major highlights of the bill, but we’d like you to take a look at it yourself.

http://pages.ohiogunowners.org/ohio-cc-bill/

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:19 pm
Would to love see BFA push this at least tell people about it. Haven't seen anything from them or support, what is the deal?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 pm
pps_dad wrote:
Since when is Kasich considered anti-2A? He said he would sign anything that comes across his desk that is pro 2A and he has.

Hope your right, it would seem then this CC bill should get some co- Sponsers and pass all they way through Kasich. Lets get it done folks! No better time than now!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:36 pm
Dear lord have mercy. I think a butcher could have done a better job crafting that piece of so-called legislation.

First, it is emphatically *not* a constitutional carry bill. It is an "unlicensed carry" bill, and as such, adds significantly to the law. Instead of removing restrictions for possessing firearms,everywhere the law currently says it is against the law to carry but provides an exception for a person with a concealed handgun license, it adds *another* an exception / exemption for persons deemed licensed by the addition of a new section of the ORC.

Second, it attempts to change the law to allow concealed *firearms* instead of only handguns, but fails to completely achieve that goal.

I gave up reading it about half-way through after discovering those issues. It isn't worth trying to decipher this until the previous two issues are resolved. Not to mention the fact that it has almost zero chance of making it out of committee, much less passage.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:23 pm
Isn't open carry firearm already legal in Ohio without a license, ie open carry pistols and open carry rifles? Those are firearms without permission slip. So, this would be just adding s pistsl CC. That is all that is needed.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:57 pm
OC is legal (with a couple of exceptions) in Ohio simply because it is not prohibited under the law (again, other than a couple of specific exceptions). This bill would not give the same standing to unlicensed CC.

Instead, it regulates unlicensed CC exactly the same way as licensed CC. That makes the law even more complicated, convoluted, and harder to comprehend.

The correct way to craft a "constitutional carry" bill would be to have it strike from the law *all* sections of law that regulate concealed carry of *all* weapons - with the exception of a method to issue a license to carry concealed weapons (for reciprocity). That would achieve the desired result and simplify the law at the same time.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 pm
WVRiflemannOH wrote:
As you know, Constitutional Carry is the simple idea that if you’re legally able to own a firearm, you’re legally able to carry one for self-defense. Period.

But let’s take a look at some of the particulars of the bill.

>>> First, it would change Section 2923.111 of the Ohio Revised
Code (ORC), restoring the right to carry a concealed firearm - to anyone not legally prohibited by law - without getting a permit.

No government permission, no taxes and fees, and no name being entered in a government database just to exercise your Second Amendment Rights.

>>> Second, Constitutional Carry would make the current permit
system optional for those who wish to get or renew a CCW for purposes of reciprocity.

Family vacations, out-of-state employment, travel to see family – depending on the state you’re visiting, your CCW might still be necessary.

>>> Third, Constitutional Carry would remove the “duty to notify”
a law enforcement officer that you’re carrying a firearm from Section 2923.12 and other sections of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC).

Free speech, freedom to assemble and freedom to worship are rights you’re free to exercise without notifying law-enforcement, and the Second Amendment should be no different.

In fact, we’ve been in touch with myriad of law enforcement who tell us that’s the way it should be – because the bad guys won’t tell them anyway!

But it’s important to remember there’s things that Constitutional Carry doesn’t do.

It doesn’t allow criminals to carry a firearm if they’ve been adjudicated otherwise by the courts.

Just because a permit is no longer needed to legally carry a firearm, it doesn’t allow, empower or enable a criminal to carry one!

And carrying a firearm during the commission of a crime is still a punishable offense, just as it is now.

But it’s also important to keep in mind that Constitutional Carry does NOT address the problem we have in Ohio where cities are creating their own anti-gun ordinances.

We’re adamantly opposed to “gun-free zones” and agree it’s a serious issue – but one that we’ll address in other legislation designed to put fangs into Ohio’s preemption statute (9.68).

So those are the major highlights of the bill, but we’d like you to take a look at it yourself.

http://pages. ohiogunowners.org/ohio-cc-bill/

Is this the same Ohio Gunowners discussed on the main page?: https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-gu ... -here-help
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:51 pm
JN01 wrote:
Is this the same Ohio Gunowners discussed on the main page?: https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-gu ... -here-help

Yup, that's them alright. They do a bang-up job soliciting donations and raising money, but they have yet to achieve a single thing in the past several years other than separate Ohioans from their money. This train wreck of a bill is just another mechanism to attempt to do more of the same.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:25 pm
What ever it takes fellas, "help" with whom ever needs it make this happen. I'm just a messenger and voter and Pro- Constitution person., not a lawyer or a politician. We need to reinstitute this right. Criminals do not have rules or regulations They follow! Need to be fixed. Thanks, y'all! Have a great night!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next