Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post subject: Finally, BFA Getting on Board of Constitutional Carry
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:59 am
Let's pass this thing guys.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/represe ... onal-carry

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)
Post subject: Re: Finally, BFA Getting on Board of Constitutional Carry
Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:54 pm
I think it'll take years to pass.. It seems like changes like this only come after half the country is on board.

I am happy to see BFA reaching towards this goal though yes I think it's the answer to many problems assuming we don't get bogged down somehow with amendments.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:16 am
Have you guys actually read the bill?

It will allow the concealed carry of any rifle or shotgun, in addition to handguns.

While I certainly support this, it is a BUILT-IN reason to be voted down.

It is this type of obvious over-reaching of the NAGR-written bills that Rep. Hood introduces. And, yes, Rep. Hood told me face-to-face at a Tea Party meeting (in Logan, OH two years ago) that the bill was written by and given to him by NAGR.

It won't pass, but it will sure give him something to beat the drums about...and generate lots of campaign funds in the process.

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:29 am
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Have you guys actually read the bill?

It will allow the concealed carry of any rifle or shotgun, in addition to handguns.

While I certainly support this, it is a BUILT-IN reason to be voted down.

It is this type of obvious over-reaching of the NAGR-written bills that Rep. Hood introduces. And, yes, Rep. Hood told me face-to-face at a Tea Party meeting (in Logan, OH two years ago) that the bill was written by and given to him by NAGR.

It won't pass, but it will sure give him something to beat the drums about...and generate lots of campaign funds in the process.

I've read the bill in its entirety, and on top of what MWSY says above, the latest version of the bill is poorly written and from my reading of it actually fails to achieve some of the things it attempts to do.

Support it, sure, and urge your senator and representative in the OGA to support it, sure, but don't expect it to even make it out of committee.

Finally, as I have been told by people closely tied in to Ohio politics, Kasich will *not* sign constitutional carry, whether this bill or any other, which is another reason it won't even make it out of committee, much less pass and be signed into law. If you want constitutional carry in Ohio, we need a truly pro-gun Governor so get out there and find the candidate that supports our rights and help get him or her elected.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 pm
Wow, again, we can't, it won't, will not. These are rights we should have never lost in the first place. We shouldn't have BEG to get them back. You know what needs to be fixed if anything. I'm not a lawyer, but what ever it takes, HELP and stop bitching about it won't pass.

I don't care what type of firearm it is, you should have right to carry concealed or otherwise for protection. The 2nd Amendment says you have right to a firearm shall not be infringed "but"....This crap needs to stop!

I have heard many say Kasich would sign any pro second amendment bill that comes to his desk!

We need our rights back, not "but ifing" them, period!

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:00 pm
MyWifeSaidYes and JustaShooter know what they do from actually going to the Ohio Statehouse and speaking with the politicians face to face.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:39 pm
WVRiflemannOH wrote:
Wow, again, we can't, it won't, will not.

Reality sucks. But this is the current political reality in Ohio.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
These are rights we should have never lost in the first place. We shouldn't have BEG to get them back.

I don't disagree in any way, shape or form.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
You know what needs to be fixed if anything. I'm not a lawyer, but what ever it takes, HELP and stop bitching about it won't pass.

Yup, I know what needs fixing, perhaps more than most - and today, what needs fixing most is the Governor as I stated above. And, I *AM* helping. I've been to Columbus to press the flesh and advocate for positive changes to Ohio's gun laws. I have written, faxed, emailed, called and generally harassed our legislators about sponsoring, supporting, and voting for pro-gun legislation every time opportunity presents itself.

But by the same token I have a basic understanding of the political situation here in Ohio. Call it bitching if you want, but I call it reality. There is a thing called "political capital", and we as gun owners and gun rights advocates only have so much. Tilting against this particular windmill at this time is a waste of that political capital, and I would much rather spend it on something we can actually accomplish. We did not lose our rights overnight, and we won't get them back overnight either.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
I don't care what type of firearm it is, you should have right to carry concealed or otherwise for protection. The 2nd Amendment says you have right to a firearm shall not be infringed "but"....This crap needs to stop!

Again I do not disagree - well, except to say the 2A isn't limited to firearms so ultimately any weapon should be allowed - projectile, edged, impact, whatever.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
I have heard many say Kasich would sign any pro second amendment bill that comes to his desk!

And I'm probably one of the people who has said that here in these forums, and maybe even to you. But, things change - or, perhaps, just become better understood. The reality is today that Kasich has made it clear he won't sign constitutional carry. As I said above, when you add that to the other issues with the bill, it is DOA. I, for one, will not spend much of our limited influence on it. Yes, I will (actually have, now that the bill has been introduced) advocate for it to my Senator and Representative - if for no other reason than they expect it from me and as a (albeit flawed) pro-gun bill, I can't *not* support it. But until Kasich is replaced with a truly pro-gun Governor, I won't push hard for it - especially in its current, flawed form.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:

It has been said that in politics an "all or nothing" approach sacrifices the former for the latter, and in this case I believe it holds true.

Get behind HB 142, notification repeal - I think it has a real chance of passage.

Get behind SB 81 - not because of the Veterans aspect (although that may well be the key to its passage) but because it will allow us to renew our CHL early and gain the benefits of a license issued after 3/23/2015 like bypassing a NICS check and reciprocity with TX and WI - again, I think it has a real chance of passage.

And, when the bill is introduced, get behind State Representatives Terry Johnson and Sarah LaTourette's pro-gun bill to eliminate “duty to retreat” and restore the notion of “innocent until proven guilty” when acting in self-defense while outside of your home or vehicle.

Accept reality. These bills have a real chance of passage in this legislative session. Constitutional carry doesn't.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:42 pm
Brian D. wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes and JustaShooter know what they do from actually going to the Ohio Statehouse and speaking with the politicians face to face.

Thanks for the kind words, Brian.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm
FYI, WV's Governor was a democrat that Vetoed the bill, said he would never sign it either....the W.Va. state House and Senate over rode the Veto to pass Constitutional Carry, we can do the same.

JustaShooter wrote:
WVRiflemannOH wrote:
Wow, again, we can't, it won't, will not.

Reality sucks. But this is the current political reality in Ohio.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
These are rights we should have never lost in the first place. We shouldn't have BEG to get them back.

I don't disagree in any way, shape or form.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
You know what needs to be fixed if anything. I'm not a lawyer, but what ever it takes, HELP and stop bitching about it won't pass.

Yup, I know what needs fixing, perhaps more than most - and today, what needs fixing most is the Governor as I stated above. And, I *AM* helping. I've been to Columbus to press the flesh and advocate for positive changes to Ohio's gun laws. I have written, faxed, emailed, called and generally harassed our legislators about sponsoring, supporting, and voting for pro-gun legislation every time opportunity presents itself.

But by the same token I have a basic understanding of the political situation here in Ohio. Call it bitching if you want, but I call it reality. There is a thing called "political capital", and we as gun owners and gun rights advocates only have so much. Tilting against this particular windmill at this time is a waste of that political capital, and I would much rather spend it on something we can actually accomplish. We did not lose our rights overnight, and we won't get them back overnight either.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:

Again I do not disagree - well, except to say the 2A isn't limited to firearms so ultimately any weapon should be allowed - projectile, edged, impact, whatever.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:

And I'm probably one of the people who has said that here in these forums, and maybe even to you. But, things change - or, perhaps, just become better understood. The reality is today that Kasich has made it clear he won't sign constitutional carry. As I said above, when you add that to the other issues with the bill, it is DOA. I, for one, will not spend much of our limited influence on it. Yes, I will (actually have, now that the bill has been introduced) advocate for it to my Senator and Representative - if for no other reason than they expect it from me and as a (albeit flawed) pro-gun bill, I can't *not* support it. But until Kasich is replaced with a truly pro-gun Governor, I won't push hard for it - especially in its current, flawed form.

WVRiflemannOH wrote:

It has been said that in politics an "all or nothing" approach sacrifices the former for the latter, and in this case I believe it holds true.

Get behind HB 142, notification repeal - I think it has a real chance of passage.

Get behind SB 81 - not because of the Veterans aspect (although that may well be the key to its passage) but because it will allow us to renew our CHL early and gain the benefits of a license issued after 3/23/2015 like bypassing a NICS check and reciprocity with TX and WI - again, I think it has a real chance of passage.

And, when the bill is introduced, get behind State Representatives Terry Johnson and Sarah LaTourette's pro-gun bill to eliminate “duty to retreat” and restore the notion of “innocent until proven guilty” when acting in self-defense while outside of your home or vehicle.

Accept reality. These bills have a real chance of passage in this legislative session. Constitutional carry doesn't.

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 pm
Just got this today.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding House Bill 201, a proposed bill expanding the right to concealed carry. As a co-sponsor of this legislation, I agree with your sentiments and believe that it would greatly benefit Ohioans. Representatives Hood and Brinkman have worked diligently on this bill and it has recently been referred to the Federalism and Interstate Relations Committee, of which I am the Vice Chair. If you have any future questions regarding the status of this bill or others, additional information can be found online at legislature.ohio.gov.

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me about this issue and I will keep your opinions in mind as House Bill 201 is introduced to the committee. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me by email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

P. Scott Lipps
State Representative
House District 62

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm
And this.....

The Ohio Gun Owners Constitutional Carry bill is picking up more steam by the minute - read below!

After being introduced less than two weeks ago, we were afraid H.B. 201 was going to be referred to the less-friendly House State and Local Government committee.

But instead, it was referred to the Federalism and Interstate Relations Committee!

That is good news because nine of the thirteen members are already cosponsors.

And over the weekend I received word that the chairwoman of the committee, Rep. Kristina Roegner, has scheduled the first hearing on H.B. 201 for TOMORROW!

Starting at 4:00 pm in room 115 of the Statehouse, this first hearing is called “Sponsor Testimony.”

Representatives Hood and Brinkman will introduce H.B. 201 to the committee and answer any questions about it members may have.

As a reminder, Constitutional Carry is the simple idea that if you are legally able to own a firearm, you can carry that firearm to protect yourself and family without begging permission or paying taxes and fees.

It is now law in 13 states, and those states are already enjoying plummeting violent crime rates!

In addition, H.B. 201 also removes the “duty to notify” an officer upon contact clause that you are concealed carrying.

Not only do violent criminals ignore this law, but it has proven a needless source of friction, worry and needless litigation for citizens and law-enforcement alike.

H.B. 201 is solid, pro-gun legislation!

There will not be an opportunity for public input at this hearing, but if you live in the area your attendance would help show great public support for Constitutional Carry.

Again, the hearing is scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday afternoon at 4:00 pm in room 115 of the Statehouse.

Now, isn't a time to sit back and take it easy - the next step is to get a hearing scheduled for "proponent testimony."

That's why So please email chairwoman Roegner and Vice Chairman Scott Lipps and urge them to schedule proponent testimony after the hearing on Tuesday!

➤➤ Chairwoman Kristina Roegner
Phone: (614) 466-1177
Email: [email protected]

➤➤ Vice Chairman Scott Lipps
Phone: (614) 644-6023
Email: [email protected]

These are important, critical first steps for Constitutional Carry.

But the fight to get it passed into law still lies ahead of us.

The states across America that have already passed Constitutional Carry did so because the grassroots gun owners were fired up and mobilized.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:10 am
In Michigan, their house of reps passed Constitutional Carry. If Michigan can pull this off, I know Ohio can. We cant let them beat us!

NRA member
BFA member
OFCC member
US Army veteran 2004-08
Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 am
Whether or not Michigan beats us or not doesn't mean a thing (they had concealed carry before us, so whatever...) The problem is this bill is *dead* in Ohio. Gov. Kasich has said he will veto it. The OGA will not move the bill under that threat, *especially* since *every* law enforcement agency has come out against it. The only way either of those conditions would change is if there was a grass-roots uprising - but I think it would take every single gun owner in the state, or at least every concealed carrier, to descend on Columbus and make their voices heard. Problem is, many otherwise pro-gun people are against constitutional carry, and those of us that are left aren't numerous or vocal enough to make the change.

You want constitutional carry in Ohio? Help elect a truly pro-gun Governor. Jon Husted has my vote in the primary, in large part because as Speaker of the House he led the veto override that got us ORC 9.68 firearms law preemption in Ohio. He has proven his pro-gun rights bona fides and I believe that under his administration we would have a chance to get it passed.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:25 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
Whether or not Michigan beats us or not doesn't mean a thing (they had concealed carry before us, so whatever...) The problem is this bill is *dead* in Ohio. Gov. Kasich has said he will veto it.

Is there any open source reporting of Gov Kasich's objection to Constitutional Carry (which, for the record, I prefer to call "Permitless Carry")? Or was this gleaned from off-the-record personal communication with the Governor? Did he offer a rationale for his position?

Thanks!

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 am
I'd like to point out that in 2004 concealed carry in Ohio was passed by the OGA overriding a veto by the governor.
And the objections of the same LEO leaders that even today want to personally maintain control.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next