Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post subject: Let Your Representatives Know!
Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:41 pm
A lot of folks complain, justifiably, about problems such as National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) delays, sheriffs taking more than 45 days to issue CHLs, and so on. My suggestion is to make sure that you let your representatives know when you have such problems. For example, I used to get a “delay” about 2/3rds of the time when I purchased a firearm. I haven't been delayed the last couple of years, but every time I did get delayed, I wrote a letter to my U.S. House Member and both U.S. Senators, complaining about the NICS system putting a “delay” on my constitutional rights. I’m not saying it made a huge impact, but I think we as firearm owners need to do this more when we aren't happy with "the system".

Has everyone here who had to wait more than 45 days for a CHL written a letter to your Ohio House and Senate Members and to the Governor? You should. I know folks will say it does no good, but as someone who testifies often at the Statehouse and meets with Ohio House and Senate Members regularly, I can say that letters from constituents do influence them - probably more than you realize. Most folks can’t even name their Ohio legislators, so they receive far fewer letters than you might think, and they know that folks who bother to write are generally those who not only vote but also influence other voters. Frankly, it would help those of us who do testify on behalf of firearm rights if more folks would write.

When we testify in front of legislative committees, I know that the committee members will pay more attention when they know that their constituents are paying attention. If we’re advocating for penalties for sheriffs who take more than 45 days for a CHL, for example, it helps if the representatives have heard from their constituents that this is a problem. Behind closed doors, where decisions are often made, they will also be aware when these decisions are being scrutinized by the citizens they represent. Please phone and write to your representatives and officials often. Let them know you are paying attention. Let them know when you are not happy with the way they voted. Thank them when you are happy with the way they voted and the bills they’ve sponsored and supported.

If you need help finding out who your representatives are, there are many resources available. BFA has some available on their home page, and here's a good one.
Post subject:
Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:33 am
If your State Representative and your Senator don't know you on a first name basis, YOU aren't doing your job properly.

2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor
Region Leader
Post subject:
Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:13 am
I annoy the crap out of my rep. LOL. I'm his best nag 8)

Fairfield county was just over a week. They were great.
But... 2 other counties surrounding mine gave me the "Our computer is down." everyday for 2 weeks! Licking County was the worst. We even went to the SO and talked to Mr. Thorp about it and was blown off by him. I had to settle on going the furthest from my home. Which wasn't a big deal but thats not the point.
I understand these SO has 45 days to turn this around....after the ppr work is finished. How about the effort to even get the ppr work in? I jumped through the hoops just to hit a brick wall esp with the county I live in and with the sheriff I voted for :x

Just because you do not take an
interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles
Post subject: Re: Let Your Representatives Know!
Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:49 pm
My state Senator knows me by my first name, He really doesn't like me. because I hold him to his word.

My Congressman gets high marks from the NRA, but the guy is an idiot, doesn't do anything for the people and when confronted over a major issue in my area, he said a lot, did nothing.

Jerry

A Closed Mouth Gathers No Foot

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Gun Owners of America
Crossbow Nation
American Legion
Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:19 pm
Here is an interesting response from the office of Debbie Newcomb. Looks like a canned answer but an answer none the less.

Thank you for your email regarding Senate Bills 239 and 247, revising Ohio's current conceal and carry law. Hearing the concerns and opinions of my constituents helps me represent you in the best possible way.

These two bills are currently assigned to the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee. I will be sure to urge Committee Chairwoman Bolon to hold a hearing for these particular pieces of legislation. I also look forward to reviewing all presented testimony before deciding whether or not to support both bills on the House Floor.

Please contact me if I may provide any future assistance.

Sincerely,

DEBORAH NEWCOMB
State Representative
Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 am
After writing my congressman asking to clairify his stand on gun ownership and 2nd ammendment rights, here was his response;

Dear Alan:
Thank you for contacting me regarding your views on gun ownership legislation. I appreciate the time you have taken to express your thoughts.

On January 8, nineteen people, including U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and U.S. District Court Judge John Roll, were shot outside a grocery store in Tucson, Arizona. I was deeply saddened by this senseless act of violence and hatred. The tragic events that took place in Arizona reminded all Americans, including myself, the importance of background checks and proper regulation when it comes to the right to bear arms.

However, as a Member of Congress who has consistently received "A" ratings from the National Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of America, I support an individual's right to keep and bear firearms. During my time in public office, I have consistently opposed legislation that would restrict this freedom and I intend to continue doing so in the future.

That is why I voted in favor of the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act (H.R. 822), which would require states to recognize each other's carry permits. I am a proud cosponsor of this legislation and hope its passage will enable permit holders to exercise their right of self-defense outside their home states. This bill passed the House by a vote of 272-154, and is awaiting action in the Senate.

Additionally, I am a current cosponsor of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BAFTE) Reform Act (H.R. 1093). This legislation would revise the civil penalties for violations of firearms law and the procedures for assessing such penalties. These changes would help prevent situations where BATFE has revoked licenses for small technical violations. This bill has been referred to the House Judiciary and Ways and Means Committees.

Our Founding Fathers guaranteed the right for all Americans to keep and bear arms in the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. Many of the measures proposed in the name of gun control are based upon the theory that gun owners are not law-abiding citizens simply by virtue of the fact of their gun ownership. This is simply not the case. The vast majority of gun owners are model citizens who are simply exercising their constitutional rights.

Please know that I will continue to uphold the Second Amendment during my representation in Congress. Again, thank you for your input. I hope that you will continue to keep me informed of your thoughts and concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you regarding this matter or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Tim Ryan
Member of Congress

Interesting stand for a Dem. considering Obama is a staunch gun opponent, I wonder if he will vote his convictions or just fall in line when Obama really starts pusshing his "gun reform" issues (if re-elected... God forbid).
Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:59 pm
hmm, interesting how he started off w/ that leading paragraph about giffords and proper "regulation"...

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 am
I just e-mailed Senator Portman thanking him for doing what he can to preserve the 2nd amendment. I asked him to vote against anything Obama, Reid, Bloomberg and the rest of them might conjure up.

*NRA*
*GOA*
*NAGR*
*SAF*
*USCCA*
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:17 pm
Not exactly the greatest with wording but I will give it a go. I am from Florida and as a juvenile I got into a bit of trouble....needless to say, it came back to haunt me when I applied for my CCW here in Ohio. I can't get the juvenile record expunged and I am curious to know if I went through the "pardon" process if that would be good enough for Ohio CCW? Plus, I'm not a fan of how your juvenile record can prohibit you from getting your CCW unless of course it's for a crazy crime...but, one would think you would be charged as an adult in that case. Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience or can offer any advise that would help. I can't just sit here and let that be the end all because of a juvenile record.
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:05 pm
Ray:

If it's a Felony, particularly an assault on a Peace Officer, about any kind of DV, or drugs, you could be screwed....

About anything else "evaporates" - particularly Juvenile records - after three to five years (can't recall right now). Ohio doesn't expunge records, but it does "Seal" them, and while Law Enforcement can still see them, they're no longer to be considered by the issuing Sheriff.

Here in OH, we tell people to contact the Clerk of Courts in the County where the Conviction was entered, and the Clerk will usually help you with the rest. $50 for DIY, or plan on paying a lawyer $200 plus the County's $50. (I always recommend a lawyer, but a lot of my cousins are lawyers :D.)

FL probably has a similar procedure, but we need to know what the offense was, how long ago it was, etc. We have several lawyers online here, and one of them should be able to privately recommend somebody who can help.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:19 pm
I have a copy of my juvenile records. There are two felonies that I was adjudicated for. Burglary of a dwelling is the only one the issuing officer said I needed to take care of. It has been longer than 15yrs since the crime...Obviously. since the ccw application states if you have been adjudicated of a crime that if committed as an adult would give you more than a year in prison.....I think that charge would. The officer gave me my money back and said get that expunged. The other felony was grand theft auto basically. With some trespassing and larceny included. Hope that helps.
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:03 pm
The federal government will only recognize restoration of firearms rights made by the state that took them. Read the last paragraph in the first column and continuing onto the next column on page 4 of the instructions for Form 4473. (https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download). Ohio is one of the very few states that recognizes other states' restoration of firearms rights--as of March 23, 2015, but only if the federal government also recognizes the restoration. See: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.13. The last time I looked, Florida's only method of such restoration was by pardon. You should contact a Florida lawyer that specializes in firearms law.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:01 pm
I am not a lawyer and I cannot give anyone legal advice. The discussion that follows is purely academic discussion of how Ohio, Florida and Federal laws interact with each other.

Fla. Stat. §§ 790.001(6), 790.23(1)(a)&(b) states:

"It is unlawful for any person to own or to have in his or her care, custody, possession, or control any firearm, ammunition, or electric weapon or device, or to carry a concealed weapon, including a tear gas gun or chemical weapon or device, if that person has been:
(a) Convicted of a felony in the courts of this state;
(b) Found, in the courts of this state, to have committed a delinquent act that would be a felony if committed by an adult and such person is under 24 years of age;"

I don't know anything about judicial interpretations of this statute; I just looked it up. However, it appears that there is an age limit (i.e., 24) for Florida firearms prohibitions that resulted from juvenile adjudications. So, if Florida also restores the right to vote, serve on a jury and the right to hold public office to the same class of persons, which would constitute automatic restoration of firearms rights upon attaining the age of 24 that the federal government is required to recognize.

As I stated above, Ohio does recognize other state's firearms restoration of rights in both the ability to possess a firearm and to get a license to carry a concealed handgun (CHL). Ohio's prohibition found in R.C. § 2923.13 only applies to the categories of persons who's rights have not been restored "under operation of law or legal process." Florida's statutory language about becoming 24 appears to be restoration by "operation of law." That same language is incorporated into Ohio's procedure the CHL. See: R.C. § 2923.125(D)(4):

" If an applicant has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to an offense identified in division (D)(1)(e), (f), or (h) of this section or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act or violation identified in any of those divisions, and if a court has ordered the sealing or expungement of the records of that conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication pursuant to sections 2151.355 to 2151.358, sections 2953.31 to 2953.36, or section 2953.37 of the Revised Code or the applicant has been relieved under operation of law or legal process from the disability imposed pursuant to section2923.13 of the Revised Code relative to that conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication, the sheriff with whom the application was submitted shall not consider the conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication in making a determination under division (D)(1) or (F) of this section or, in relation to an application for a concealed handgun license on a temporary emergency basis submitted under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, in making a determination under division (B)(2) of that section."

If Florida really does automatically restore rights, such person who is denied a CHL in Ohio would be illegally denied. There is an appeal procedure for such a denial. It involves filing a lawsuit/appeal against the Sheriff's Office with the County Court where the Sheriff is located. Assistance of a local attorney would probably be required. An attorney should also be able to determine how Florida law applies to your specific situation.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:50 pm
I never lost my right to own a firearm...
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:40 pm
State v. Menuto, 912 So. 2d 603 - Fla: Dist. Court of Appeals, 2nd Dist. 2005 (Florida)
Quote:
Chapter 99-284 raised the age at which the person would be held responsible for the prior juvenile offense. In the new version, age twenty-four was selected as the age at which the person could possess a firearm without violating section 790.23. We view the selection of age twenty-four as the sort of legislative line-drawing that is the proper function of the legislature. Because it is rationally related to the legitimate goal of reducing the potential harm of recidivist ex-juvenile offenders who possess firearms within a relatively short time after attaining majority, we find no violation of equal protection.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case ... s_sdt=4,10
 Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next