Page 5 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:46 am
Brian D. wrote:
Some people are not good "ambassadors" for gun ownership, carry in general, and the public profile is obviously higher if we're talking open carry.

It's a free country but a little neatness in appearance just isn't that much to ask from so-called grown ups.

I know of one Waffle House that put a 'No guns' sign on their front door all because of one loutish dodo who happens to open carry, and is obnoxious about it. That kind of thing doesn't happen much but through the years that sort of behavior from our side has been a nagging pain.

I think it is more that there is a difference between carrying a weapon openly and demonstrating. I don’t think “neatness in appearance” has anything to do with it. Metrosexuals can be just as obnoxious. Like the out-of-town open carry demonstrators who came to the University of Akron a couple months ago with assault rifles held at the ready like they were on a patrol in Afghanistan. Now the university appears dead set against allowing concealed carry should the legislature allow colleges to decide whether to allow concealed carry on campus. They associate the aggressive open carry demonstration that took place with people who just want to have adequate tools to defend themselves.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post subject: Re: Chipotle
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:09 pm
You and I don't see eye to eye on some of this stuff. Wasn't at Akron but took part in the other two public university marches. No long guns for me but two large shiny handguns one on each hip.These colleges need SOME kind of kick in the keister, along with the legislature in Columbus finally allowing Ohio citizens to do what's already legal in more gun-friendly states.

You aren't going to tell me that U of A was going to be all cool on their own about allowing concealed carry on campus, are you? No way in hades any ivy tower college egghead bosses would roll like that on their own. Too lefty, even if they love their high salaries as much as any conservative would.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:25 pm
I think that if they thought they could steal a significant number of students from Kent State, Cleveland State, Case Western and Tri-C (none of those would allow weapons on campus), they would have considered it, but the guys carrying the AR-15's and P90 scared the crap out of them.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:45 pm
Funny, I saw video and pictures that don't show anybody being all ascared. Same as the experience down here in Cincinnati and also in Columbus. For cripes sake we walked around on a Saturday when the quad areas weren't really loaded up with students or staff. The ones there barely took notice.

were you present to see the Akron event for yourself?

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:29 pm
I was referring to the university administrators' reaction. They don't want that type of demonstration taking place inside the campuses and classrooms.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:06 pm
Liberty wrote:
I was referring to the university administrators' reaction. They don't want that type of demonstration taking place inside the campuses and classrooms.

Seems to me there is a solution to prevent further open carry events on campus - if university officials help pass concealed carry on campus the problem will go away, just like it did 10 years ago for Ohio itself, and just like it does for each municipality that refuses to remove laws that violate ORC 9.68 without such encouragement. Not that they will do it, but that is a relatively simple solution to their "problem".

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:36 pm
University officials don't see the current situation as a problem. No one can carry inside the campus but campus police. That is how they want it. They don't care about the demonstrations on the sidewalks. The only thing the demonstrations on the sidewalks do is show them how people may behave on campus and in the classrooms if they are permitted to carry inside the campus. And that deepens their resolve to oppose legislation for campus carry. Campus carry demonstrations are counterproductive. The energy should be focused on the state legislators to decriminalize exercising Constitutional Rights on college campuses. It is not enough to enact legislation that would allow colleges to decide for themselves whether the 2nd Amendment can be exercised on campus, because, as Brian pointed out, almost all will decide NO.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:57 am
I just read a whole discussion of your damned if you do or your damned if you don't.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:37 am
Liberty, I certainly agree that the solution isn't to pass legislation that gives them the option, but rather to strip the exemption for colleges and universities entirely.

However, I'm not following your comment that "No one can carry inside the campus but campus police." The open carry events happened inside campus, and were apparently legal. No one can carry *concealed* legally on campus, but as has been shown, OC is not prohibited except in the buildings. I get the feeling from other comments that you think that somehow because they (mostly) stayed on the sidewalks that they were not "in campus" - is that correct? If so, I think you are mistaken. Not only did they not stay on the sidewalks as I recall, even if they did I do not think that constitutes not being inside the campus.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:21 am
University property that is owned by Ohio is public. University property open to the public is no different than any other public property open to the public except for one difference, concealed carry. By statute no conceal carry on campus. But, open carry is perfectly legal. Now when it comes to the buildings, most of the university buildings are not open to the public.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:34 am
I was talking about buildings, sports fields, classrooms etc... Sidewalks are throughout the campus in between those things. Inside the campus is inside the buildings, sports fields, classrooms etc...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:59 am
Um, OK. "Inside campus" sure is an odd way of saying "inside the buildings", and "on the sidewalks" is an odd way of saying "outside of the buildings". But whatever you say, Liberty.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:06 am
Don't get me wrong, I think open carry demonstrations have their place. I just think that they have been counterproductive on college campuses. Now if the legislature strips the colleges of their exemption and they continue to try to stop legal carrying, then I think such a demonstration may be appropriate like they are for city's like Fairlawn (right next to Akron) that still prohibit carrying in the city parks, via signage and municipal criminal statutes. See, Section 1068.01(20) of the Fairlawn Municipal Code. Lets get the law changed first. And forget about college admin. supporting such legislation because it will never happen.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:10 pm
Liberty wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I think open carry demonstrations have their place. I just think that they have been counterproductive on college campuses. Now if the legislature strips the colleges of their exemption and they continue to try to stop legal carrying, then I think such a demonstration may be appropriate like they are for city's like Fairlawn (right next to Akron) that still prohibit carrying in the city parks, via signage and municipal criminal statutes. See, Section 1068.01(20) of the Fairlawn Municipal Code. Lets get the law changed first. And forget about college admin. supporting such legislation because it will never happen.

Perhaps it would help to complain less and be more proactive. Amendments to Fairlawn's ordinance to comply with R.C. 9.68 were passed as an emergency measure on July 13, 2015: See Ordinance 2015-050. And that was in response to discussions of a possible open carry event.

You were not aware of that?
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:48 pm
Werz wrote:
Perhaps it would help to complain less and be more proactive. Amendments to Fairlawn's ordinance to comply with R.C. 9.68 were passed as an emergency measure on July 13, 2015: See Ordinance 2015-050. And that was in response to discussions of a possible open carry event.

You were not aware of that?

I was not aware of that. Do you know how to communicate without condescension? Were you aware that the signs are still in the Fairlawn parks?

Page 5 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next