Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 am
Liberty wrote:
The other thing about OC in cars is that we currently have gotcha rules about how and where to transport that makes criminals out of law abiding citizens who don't look up and read the laws every time they transport a firearm. It is better than it use to be, but the problem still exists.

I also think that it is a status thing, i.e., those with a CHL viewed as better than those without like a high school clique.

These laws are a mishmash of insanity.
Post subject: Re: Wish list
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Here's one

If possible, put restrictions on ballot initiatives so people like Bloomberg, and Gabby Giffords, can't superfund a massive petition drive to put their gun control agenda on the ballot here in Ohio like they did recently in Washington State. Right now they are gunning for Nevada, its a matter of time before Ohio is next.

Don't know if the above is possible, but this is something we should look into. Maybe somehow expand 9.68 that would prohibit a gun control law from being enacted via ballot initiative.

NRA member
BFA member
OFCC member
US Army veteran 2004-08
Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:02 am
Liberty wrote:
The thing about OC in cars is that we have castle doctrine in cars, but no way to exercise it for folks who don't have a CHL, but we have OC outside cars with duty to retreat. These two things make no sense whatsoever.

Technically, 'castle doctrine' applies to any use of deadly force, not just firearms . . . so they have some very ineffective ways to exercise it.

The entire section on improper transport by non-CHLs it a mess that just needs gutted instead of 'fixed'

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:30 pm
Liberty wrote:
I also think that it is a status thing, i.e., those with a CHL viewed as better than those without like a high school clique.

I agree, Thats why I always like to see pushes for changes that effect everyone.
A lot of times it's just easier to argue in favor of carving out exceptions for CHL because of the background check, finger printing, and "training".
That piece of plastic as far as im concerned just C.Y.A in a number of situations.
Does not make the holder any better a person.
Uncle Duke wrote:
When I was first licensed if I was stopped for a traffic stop (usually for no reason other than the fact that the police officer ran my plate while he was engaged in "proactive" policing and following me). As it turned out my plate would come up as an active warrant until he actually stopped me and ran my driver license and confirmed that I am a CHL holder.
Wow did not know it came up as a warrant alert.
I know some PD's have auto license scanners, I don't know if any in Ohio uses them, probably.
Infact I was watching dateline or one of them where they was able to track a car back 6 months prior.. I don't recall which state it was but they kept a database of every license scanned and where, Imagine if we had a system in place that did that in reverse and kept track of police movements? how fast till someones in court?
I have not been stopped but I wonder how often every one else is?

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:52 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
Wow did not know it came up as a warrant alert.

It doesn't any more, but in 2004 when CHLs were first issued it came up that way - someone told me it was under Wants & Warrants - Other (meaning it showed an active Want/Warrant and you had to dig down to see it under the Other section or some such).

My understanding is that has all been fixed now, though I' don't know how it shows up these days.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:46 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
I know some PD's have auto license scanners, I don't know if any in Ohio uses them, probably.

They have them here. You have probably seen the funny looking box things on the trunk of a squad car angled off at about 60 degrees either way.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:51 pm
Ya i've been seeing those for years, I thought they was radar guns for catching speeders.. I just assumed license plate readers would be up front inside near the dash camera..

so they do what? scan every plate left and right?
Not really a fan of this tech, kinda reminds me of minority report where Tom gets eye transplant because cameras everywhere read your eye's.

Im even more against creating location databases.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 pm
Believe it or not, a number of Police Depts are giving up their LPR systems (at least here in Ohio). I've noticed several in the "rural" areas are letting theirs go b/c it doesn't really fit their policing needs or mission.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:05 am
gkh7890 wrote:
Believe it or not, a number of Police Depts are giving up their LPR systems (at least here in Ohio). I've noticed several in the "rural" areas are letting theirs go b/c it doesn't really fit their policing needs or mission.

Not really that it doesn't fit their mission but because they are quite expensive. Until June 2014, federal grants would pay for them. Hamilton County used to receive about $250,000 annually which would equip 10-12 cars and leave a little left over to maintain the database servers.

While Cincinnati PD has agreed to maintain the database for free, it is now up to individual agencies to pay for all equipment, including new and replacement. When you look at the cost per cruiser, that's a large expense since they do not bring in money. If you think about it, a K9 has a chance of forfeitures and seizures which can bring money in. An LPR system has no effective way to bring money in since they aren't finding new crime. Therefore, they are just a large expense.

I expect to see quite a few more drop LPRs over the next few years unless the federal government decides to bring the grant back. While the systems are extremely nice, they are very costly.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 am
JediSkipdogg wrote:
gkh7890 wrote:

Not really that it doesn't fit their mission but because they are quite expensive. Until June 2014, federal grants would pay for them. Hamilton County used to receive about $250,000 annually which would equip 10-12 cars and leave a little left over to maintain the database servers.

While Cincinnati PD has agreed to maintain the database for free, it is now up to individual agencies to pay for all equipment, including new and replacement. When you look at the cost per cruiser, that's a large expense since they do not bring in money. If you think about it, a K9 has a chance of forfeitures and seizures which can bring money in. An LPR system has no effective way to bring money in since they aren't finding new crime. Therefore, they are just a large expense.

They can bring in a lot of fines for DUS violators, but that money won't go to the police agencies.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:07 pm
CW78 wrote:
Joe Sixpack wrote:

They have them here. You have probably seen the funny looking box things on the trunk of a squad car angled off at about 60 degrees either way.

Perry Twp in Stark Co. has a car with license plate scanner.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:29 pm
Werz wrote:
They can bring in a lot of fines for DUS violators, but that money won't go to the police agencies.

I've heard they can do DUSes, but have never seen any that have. Hamilton County's system only does warrants (which includes missing people, amber alerts, etc) and stolen vehicles.

I would imagine if you downloaded the entire DUS database that it would be extremely large.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:02 am
On a route I drive on a regular basis passes through a city just outside the township I live in. Every few days a township cop would be sitting in a lot next to a busy route a half mile outside the township. I figured out the cop was running plates. The route does not run through the township. I know the police chief pretty well. I called him and said I'm paying for police protection not revenue raising and, as well, I'm not paying my township police to patrol city streets. He agreed.

The next time I saw the cop sitting there I pulled in the lot and called the chief. Needless to say that little stunt stopped.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 pm
Constitutional carry, failing that, recip across the nation
Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 pm
Just remember gun lovers and enthusiastic owners, George Orwell was correct,
"Big Brother is watching"

Always!

So Mote It Be.
Aging is not for the timid
NRA Benefactor Member
 Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next