Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:34 pm
Count_Chocula wrote:
willbird wrote:
Another interesting twist of this law as I see it, is that it does NOT as far as I can tell prohibit using supressors on muzzle loaders in that season ??

The ML that use sabots will be a no go for supressors, but there are plenty of full bore size non sabot bullet choices for most of them, and there are some smokeless muzzle loaders too.

Cleaning the supressor after use would be something to keep tabs on because even some of the alternatives like Blackhorn 209 will make a mess if you do not clean after using them.

As long as you can get it open to clean. I know .22 will lead up and destroy a can if you can;t take it apart to get the lead out. I would be concerned about ML, even though you will shoot less.

Cans also change POI so you may have to rezero. Also not sure if you can get that stuff in the muzzle with the can on. I have never used can for ML and don't know.

Yea it would be an interesting situation :-). people deal with loading them with a muzzle brake in place though.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post subject: Re: New Ohio Gun Law
Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:09 am
Count_Chocula wrote:
Federal law is a long gun can be purchased in any state with an FFL in either your state or state of purchase. Does not preempt laws of your state which may be more strict.

Yep. If it's legal in a non-adjacent state to sell you long guns, it will soon be legal for you to buy long guns there.

Quote:
18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph

(A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and

(B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
purposes;

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:07 pm
Yes this loosening of out-of-state sales is a good thing. When traveling I like to visit gun stores or even shows and more than once had to leave a good rifle or shotgun deal behind because of those prohibitions. In other cases the deal would have been good enough to buy on the spot but adding in the cost of transfer to Ohio FFL, shipping costs, etc.would have taken it out of "bargain" status.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:09 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Yes this loosening of out-of-state sales is a good thing. When traveling I like to visit gun stores or even shows and more than once had to leave a good rifle or shotgun deal behind because of those prohibitions. In other cases the deal would have been good enough to buy on the spot but adding in the cost of transfer to Ohio FFL, shipping costs, etc.would have taken it out of "bargain" status.

The whole Federal in state requirement for handguns is archaic as well...in todays political climate getting it repealed would be difficult, but with the NICS check there is no GOOD reason an Ohio resident should not be able to buy a handgun in TX or any other state for that matter.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:40 pm
Not sure I like the wording of the new law concerning suppressors. It says you can have one attached to a firearm "while hunting". So I can't go to the range and test performance of loads with a suppressor? What was Ohio law concerning suppressor use before this law? Not allowed? So you can own one, just don't attach it to anything unless yoyu are in the field during a valid hunting period?
Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:22 am
IANAL, but I believe that prior to the law, the only time you could NOT legally use a suppressor was when you are hunting. You could holster it and carry concealed, hang a suppressed pistol from your rear view mirror, twirl it on your finger while walking through your neighborhood, etc. but you had to remove it when hunting.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:52 am
willbird wrote:
The whole Federal in state requirement for handguns is archaic as well...in todays political climate getting it repealed would be difficult, but with the NICS check there is no GOOD reason an Ohio resident should not be able to buy a handgun in TX or any other state for that matter.

I am Count Chocula.

The Toomey-Manchin gun control bill of 2013 would have allowed handgun purchases from any state :)

Fortunately, we are not so stupid.

The Count

The Count

Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 am
You can't buy a AK47 at a gun store what you can buy is a civilian replica.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:32 am
Jistuason wrote:

Who manufactures the 'real' AK47?

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:16 pm
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Jistuason wrote:

Who manufactures the 'real' AK47?

Russia, the former Czech republic, Egypt, Poland, and a number of former Soviet-block countries/allies. Finding a full-auto AK-47 is just about impossible, as they weren't able to be imported into the U.S. after May 19, 1986 due to a total ban on importation and manufacture of full-auto/select fire firearms for the purpose of sale to civilians. You can purchase parts kits and occasionally AK-47's and variants (see discussion of AKM's below)that have semi-auto receiver are widely available, although they likely have had a number of parts replaced to make them compliant with 922(r). Semi-auto AK-47's and variants that are complete and have matching numbers are very expensive and hard to find. I recently purchased a Russian AKM manufactured I 1976 (with a semi-auto American made receiver)for $2200. This was a bargain. Most of the AKM's I've seen for sale that were pre-ban (1992) sell for upwards of $3000-4000. A full-auto that is available for transfer to civilians on BATFE Form 4 (and require your chief law enforcement officer to sign off and a $200 transfer tax) start around $15,000, although that will likely be a Chinese AKM that was converted to full-auto. I saw an AKM that was originally full-auto and not converted will cost upwards of $30,000 or more. There are very few available on the open market. I have only seen one on Gunbroker about two years ago. Did not sell at the asking price of $45,000.

The AKM was created as an improvement of the original AK-47 design.

There are kits available on websites like GunsAmerica and Gunbroker that are fairly complete and have matching numbers for between $600-1500. You may will need to purchase a new receiver, and may need to purchase a new barrel, rivets, and tools to install the rivets. Not a job for the inexperienced. If you send it to a gunsmith, expect to pay between $500 -800 to have it built. Under 922(r) you will have to swap out a number of American made parts for imported parts.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
 Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3