Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:47 pm
Stu,

Federal law is a long gun can be purchased in any state with an FFL in either your state or state of purchase. Does not preempt laws of your state which may be more strict.

Uncle Duke wrote:
Too bad we're restricted to straight walled cartridges. I have a Remington 700 SPS in 300 AAC Blackout and a YHM suppressor. I hunt in Western PA where this is legal. I can hunt in my stand with my son without worrying about blowing out either of our eardrums or driving off the deer.

I guess I'll have to break down (sigh) and either buy another rifle or that Silencerco shotgun suppressor for my 870

Uncle Duke

What is restricted to straight walled cartridges? I don't know what that means.

The Count

Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Post subject: Re: New Ohio Gun Law
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:15 pm
Linda wrote:
The Bill was signed this afternoon and BFA and NRA were present to witness the signing. Watch BFA's website for the actual day it will go in to effect. Once bills are signed by the governor, they go to the Sec. of State to make sure everything is in order. Once the SoS approves it, the clock to 90 days starts. We'll put it on the website as soon as we determine what that date is.

When signed it has already been filed with the Secretary of state.
See: State ex rel. General v. Brunner, 114 Ohio St. 3d 386 - Ohio: Supreme Court 2007
Quote:
{¶ 8} The Governor's Office Bill Record is a paper journal that is the property of the governor, but is located in the secretary of state's office as a matter of convenience because of its size and weight. According to R.C. 107.10(A), the record is a "register of every bill passed by the general assembly that has been presented to the governor, in which is entered the number of the bill, the date the bill was presented to the governor, and the action taken on it by the governor and the date of the action." Most of the information contained in the register is filled in by the governor's staff, and that information is not altered by the secretary of state's staff. For administrative purposes, the secretary of state also maintains electronic records concerning legislation filed in the office, and the secretary makes these records readily available to the public.

I suggest you read the whole case before disagreeing.

March 20, 2015 is the date.
Last edited by color of law on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 pm
Count_Chocula wrote:
Stu,

Federal law is a long gun can be purchased in any state with an FFL in either your state or state of purchase. Does not preempt laws of your state which may be more strict.

Uncle Duke wrote:
Too bad we're restricted to straight walled cartridges. I have a Remington 700 SPS in 300 AAC Blackout and a YHM suppressor. I hunt in Western PA where this is legal. I can hunt in my stand with my son without worrying about blowing out either of our eardrums or driving off the deer.

I guess I'll have to break down (sigh) and either buy another rifle or that Silencerco shotgun suppressor for my 870

Uncle Duke

Until this hunting season (2014/15) hunters in Ohio were restricted to use of shotguns (slug barrels) and handguns for hunting deer. Earlier this year ODNR changed their rules to allow hunting with rifles, albeit those that chambered only straight walled cartridges. If you look at a handgun cartridge and compare it to most rifle cartridges, the cartridge of handgun (with a few exceptions) will be straight walled and do not taper down to where the bullet is seated. Typically these cartridges have lower muzzle velocity.

In addition to hunting with shotguns in Ohio you can hunt with 357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.

I have a suppressor on order for a .45 ACP, although this isn't an effective round for deer hunting unless they are very close. I had considered a .500 S&W or hunting with my Wildey (45 Win Mag), although neither are suppressed, which I think is very advantangeous for hunters who want to save their hearing.

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:10 pm
Count_Chocula wrote:
Stu,

Uncle Duke wrote:

Uncle Duke

For deer hunting!
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:34 pm
Hey, it's The Count here. I am Count Chocula.

That's highly gay. I have never heard of anything like that ever. Call Ronnie Barret and politely ask him to design a straight walled cartridge and rifle that will shoot clear into NYC from Akron.

The Count.

The Count

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:23 am
Uncle Duke wrote:
Count_Chocula wrote:
Stu,

Uncle Duke wrote:

Uncle Duke

Until this hunting season (2014/15) hunters in Ohio were restricted to use of shotguns (slug barrels) and handguns for hunting deer. Earlier this year ODNR changed their rules to allow hunting with rifles, albeit those that chambered only straight walled cartridges. If you look at a handgun cartridge and compare it to most rifle cartridges, the cartridge of handgun (with a few exceptions) will be straight walled and do not taper down to where the bullet is seated. Typically these cartridges have lower muzzle velocity.

In addition to hunting with shotguns in Ohio you can hunt with 357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.

I have a suppressor on order for a .45 ACP, although this isn't an effective round for deer hunting unless they are very close. I had considered a .500 S&W or hunting with my Wildey (45 Win Mag), although neither are suppressed, which I think is very advantangeous for hunters who want to save their hearing.

Uncle Duke

You might talk to the mfg of your supressor :-), I now one fella who knows a fella who designed a 45 acp supressor for a mfg (the supressor mfg uses his baffle design under license) and the original designer of the baffle stack has been using one on a 45/70 for years and it works fine :-).

45/70 is on the list of Ohio legal ctg for long guns for deer.

Supressors are all about muzzle pressure, and muzzle pressure of a 4-5" 45acp may be higher than a 16" 45/70 with a subsonic load...maybe, it is worth asking the mfg anyway.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:27 am
Another interesting twist of this law as I see it, is that it does NOT as far as I can tell prohibit using supressors on muzzle loaders in that season ??

The ML that use sabots will be a no go for supressors, but there are plenty of full bore size non sabot bullet choices for most of them, and there are some smokeless muzzle loaders too.

Cleaning the supressor after use would be something to keep tabs on because even some of the alternatives like Blackhorn 209 will make a mess if you do not clean after using them.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:09 am
willbird wrote:
Uncle Duke wrote:
Count_Chocula wrote:
Stu,

Uncle Duke wrote:

Uncle Duke

Uncle Duke

You might talk to the mfg of your supressor :-), I now one fella who knows a fella who designed a 45 acp supressor for a mfg (the supressor mfg uses his baffle design under license) and the original designer of the baffle stack has been using one on a 45/70 for years and it works fine :-).

Supressors are all about muzzle pressure, and muzzle pressure of a 4-5" 45acp may be higher than a 16" 45/70 with a subsonic load...maybe, it is worth asking the mfg anyway.

The .45ACP that I have on order (paid for, awaiting transfer approval) is an AAC Ti-Rant with an AAC 1911 (modified/accurized Remington 1911). I'll contact them later this week. What 45/70 would you recommend to thread?

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:27 am
Uncle Duke wrote:
willbird wrote:
Uncle Duke wrote:
Count_Chocula wrote:
Stu,

Uncle Duke wrote:

Uncle Duke

Uncle Duke

The .45ACP that I have on order (paid for, awaiting transfer approval) is an AAC Ti-Rant with an AAC 1911 (modified/accurized Remington 1911). I'll contact them later this week. What 45/70 would you recommend to thread?

Uncle Duke

The most common 45/70 that I would suggest is a TC Encore, then you can buy a ML barrel for it too, and there are guys over on Dougs Forum who will turn a cartridge barrel into a smokeless muzzle loader barrel too.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... zleloading

You could also seek out a New England single shot, they also made ML barrels for those too if you can find it all in one deal, they sold a combo that had several barrels, if you can find one you can send it to have different barrels fit to it, one being a 45/70, they actually have a 32" that you could have cut to any length that suits you, or a 22" (22 on a single shot looks short to me).

http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

They also have a 444 marlin barrel, you will have to set down with an online ballistics tool and run the trajectories with some of the higher BC bullets and see what looks good to you. For the TC you have 375 win to look at too, it always looked really good to me but I have never played with trajectories for subsonic stuff.

All of this stuff is going to get harder to get pretty quick in Ohio, there will be a buying frenzy on some stuff of this nature probably :-).

there might actually be some lever guns where the mag tube does not go clear to the muzzle, or where a muzzle extension could be added too, lever guns have never been my "thing"....I have a marlin 30-30 that was my grandads, and a marlin 22 that was my dads, but can say I have never BOUGHT a lever gun, not yet anyway :-).

Bill

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:32 pm
The only lever action I have is a Winchester 94 in 30-30, so this one is out of the question. I was looking at a Henry, however, the magazine tube goes pretty far. I've contacted Henry about possibly modifying one of their rifles. Still waiting their response.

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
The only lever action I have is a Winchester 94 in 30-30, so this one is out of the question. I was looking at a Henry, however, the magazine tube goes pretty far. I've contacted Henry about possibly modifying one of their rifles. Still waiting their response.

Uncle Duke

There are some guys who can do some trickery to make it work, some will thread internally, in the case of 1/2-28 for example they will bore and thread a 1/2-28 recess into the muzzle, then make a 1/2-28 device that looks kinda of like a plumbing close nipple, then it threads in and the can threads on. I have seen photo's of that done to a Model 41 smith as just one example.

Bill

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:24 am
[

I have a 454 Casull Lever gun with a 20 inch barrel, not sure I can put a suppressor on it but it should drop a dear in a heart beat. There is still a 3 round limit if I'm not mistaken but I'm not sure the make a plug for it, will the dnr just trust you to only have 3 rounds or are restrict-or of some sort mandatory???

Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:43 am
1stMarDiv wrote:
[

I have a 454 Casull Lever gun with a 20 inch barrel, not sure I can put a suppressor on it but it should drop a dear in a heart beat. There is still a 3 round limit if I'm not mistaken but I'm not sure the make a plug for it, will the dnr just trust you to only have 3 rounds or are restrict-or of some sort mandatory???

You can buy a can for just about anything really.

Bowers makes one for 458 Socomm which fires a 300 grain bullet at 1900 fps, and that can is also rated for full power 45/70.

That would be a pretty versatile can really...there is the $200 tax so that IMHO leverages us into maybe buying a little more can than if there were no tax :-). None of this stuff will be "hollywood quiet" however.....

Quote:
The Vers 458 is suitable for use in full auto with the full power supersonic .458 SOCOM loads.
This suppressor is also suitable for 9mm, 45, full power 45-70 and weak supersonic .30 caliber
applications such as the .300 Whisper or Blackout. It is 11.25” overall and 1 ¾” diameter. While it will
take a lot hotter loads, it will provide excellent service while doubling up as a subgun can.

It is strong and light, weighing approximately 23 oz. (varies depending on the selected insert).

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:10 am
1stMarDiv wrote:
[

Because of impracticality of plugs in most rifles they dropped that regulation.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:14 pm
willbird wrote:
Another interesting twist of this law as I see it, is that it does NOT as far as I can tell prohibit using supressors on muzzle loaders in that season ??

The ML that use sabots will be a no go for supressors, but there are plenty of full bore size non sabot bullet choices for most of them, and there are some smokeless muzzle loaders too.

Cleaning the supressor after use would be something to keep tabs on because even some of the alternatives like Blackhorn 209 will make a mess if you do not clean after using them.

As long as you can get it open to clean. I know .22 will lead up and destroy a can if you can;t take it apart to get the lead out. I would be concerned about ML, even though you will shoot less.

Cans also change POI so you may have to rezero. Also not sure if you can get that stuff in the muzzle with the can on. I have never used can for ML and don't know.

The Count

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next