Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Post subject: Re: House Bill 48 introduced by Ron Maag
Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:46 pm
[/quote]
Keep in mind that civil immunity cuts both ways. Should a business owner be held liable because he allows a customer to carry a gun in the business, and that customer, in an arguable act of self-defense, shoots the wrong person? I doubt very much that the legislature will allow immunity in one direction but not the other.[/quote]

Werz - I don't think the Gov't should be giving businesses civil immunity at all. To answer your question, no, the business owner should not be held liable for a person shooting the wrong person (in the context of your question/scenario) NOR should they be given immunity protection for stripping away our inalienable rights (Article 1 of the Bill of Rights of the Ohio Constitution....."among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and seeking and obtaining happiness and safety.").

We can go back and forth on this....it is a slippery slope, although, I do find it interesting that all our neighboring states don't grant such immunity to their businesses. I guess they didn't need to do so just to get a CCW law passed in their state?!
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:57 am
gkh7890 wrote:
We can go back and forth on this....it is a slippery slope, although, I do find it interesting that all our neighboring states don't grant such immunity to their businesses. I guess they didn't need to do so just to get a CCW law passed in their state?!

And how many of our neighboring states grant blanket immunity to businesses which allow people to carry firearms on the premises like Ohio does? Not Indiana, which has introduced Senate Bill 107 to grant that immunity, even though that bill has been stuck in the Indiana Senate Judiciary Committee since January. Not Kentucky, which grants immunity against liability only for allowing people to store firearms in the parking lot, or immunity against liability only for the criminal use of a firearm by a third party, when there is no collusion with the business owner, but that does not cover civil negligence. Which of our neighboring states grant the blanket immunity that we do for allowing firearms on the premises?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:33 pm
I am disgusted that this great bill was gutted in committee.

I thought the idea of preemption was to prevent a patchwork of gun laws, but now they want to allow county/municipal governments to decide if we can carry (in their buildings) or not. Like any of them will pass legislation to allow it.

We would be able to enter the public area of a police station, but stepping into your local library or a visitor center at a park will still be a felony. Nice.

Still treating churches differently from other private property owners, allowing them to post no carry signs isn't good enough.

Sure glad we have legislators looking out for us.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:16 pm
Gotta agree with JN01 with respect to the Houses of Worship....

As the law now stands, it interferes with my right to choose a place of worship. If the law said that they could post like any other non-governmental property, then we wouldn't have to jump through hoops to get 'em to individually admit us (or admit every licensee). It takes a lot less "guts" to just let it float past them than to admit that they really do or don't want CC folks in there....

But, "baby steps'. The way things are done here.... Someday....

Still think we should thank Maag and friends for being our friends on this.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:30 pm
Sb 180 has a hearing tomorrow at 230pm.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 am
I'm glad to see this bill introduced, and I agree with JN01 and SMMAssociates about churches/houses of worship also needing to be changed.

After the incident at the AME church in Charleston, I would much rather see the opt-out policy than this opt-in. This is just making us de facto targets whenever there is a gathering. Hopefully we can change this someday (sooner rather than later).

tech74
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:25 am
tech74:

Welcome Aboard! There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that is worth a look, but it's not mandatory. Might end up with you invoking the names of several unpleasant deities while you're reading it :D....

I'd really like to see houses of worship have to post signs (and make a violation the same as for other private property). It's far too easy to do nothing than it should be....

The only upside is that the potential troublemaker doesn't know who's armed in there anyway, whether it's officially permitted or not. But those of us who have no choice as to where, are stuck. If they had to put up a gunbuster, that would generate more than a little comment, and maybe some sense.

I read this someplace in the last couple days. Can't say where, or who at this point. (See what happens when you get old :D.)

SO, the kids are speeding through 25MPH school zones at 90MPH and endangering children (or worse). The obvious solution is to lower the speed limit to 20MPH....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:52 pm
cfranks82 wrote:
Please contact your State Senators and ask them to co-sponsor Senator Uecker’s parking lot bill.

Hey cfranks82,
Could you please elaborate on which bill Sen. Uecker is sponsoring??? Specifically what's the bill number. I could not find what one it is under the seven that are listed for Sen. Uecker.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Orcutt
Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:59 am
SB 180
 Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3