Author
Post subject: Re: Gun Control Legislation Introduced by Republicans (SB 97
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:09 pm
Liberty wrote:
I understand that you are trying to get this thread locked by continuing your personal attacks so that SB 97 cannot be discussed.

Can I get an answer from BFA leadership as to why they have not taken a position on SB 97?

I doubt they are going to check the forum to see what you're complaining about this week and make time to respond. Chill out a little or go find another forum.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 pm
I appreciate your input PX (I always pay attention to your posts even though we don't always agree), but a well educated and trained eye sees mainly condescension, chicanery, obfuscation, and selfish motives from Werz. I apologize for this being personal, but that is my professional opinion of the substance of most of Werz posts. I don't mean to embarrass Werz. He may be a nice man, and he may have contributed a lot to the cause of freedom, but my comments are based upon the substance his posts that I have read.

I liked to read BFA leadership a few years back, such as what Gerald Valentino said on April 24, 2012:
Quote:
Senate Bill 348 49 332, designed to add an additional 10 years to a prison sentence if a gun is used to cause injury to or death of a child, was introduced recently by Senator Eric Kearney (D-9).

The bill, which Buckeye Firearms Association strongly opposes, is another example of the legislature trying to make an existing crime more illegal.

Killing someone with a baseball bat, hammer or even a car leaves the victim dead. The person committing the crime is still a murderer and the family of the victim will still grieve. Just because a gun might be involved in the crime is irrelevant.

Laws enacted that vilify guns are used to desensitize people to blaming guns for the crimes committed by an individual. The same can be said for all gun control bills that make citizens accept the government's ability to infringe on the right to bear arms.

This bill is objectionable on both levels and leaves Buckeye Firearms Association no choice but to oppose the measure. To allow the legislature to punish one method of murder more strictly than another is also an insult to the victims and families who are killed by other means.

Equality under the law is supposed to be a hallmark of the American legal system. Imagine if your son or daughter's murderer got less time than another criminal only because a gun wasn't used in the crime. It would be impossible for most families to accept their child's murder was somehow less heinous because a knife or other method was used.

There is no public safety issue, real or imaged, that would be addressed if this bill becomes law. Inflicting violent injury and murder is illegal now, and criminals should be punished based on the results of their actions.

The Supreme Court recently ruled that crack cocaine dealers couldn't be punished with more prison time than powdered cocaine dealers since the crime was ultimately the same. Although written before the introduction of SB 348 49 332, their decision is an indictment of punishing criminals who commit the same crime in a different manner.

Please write your Senator today and tell them to oppose SB348 49 332. Remind them that murder is already illegal and that making it more illegal depending on the method used to kill is an irrational and illogical reaction to a non-existent public safety problem.

See: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/sb332-be ... ot-her-gun. Werz takes the opposite view (obviously for personal political gain), and you guys blindly follow. I don't get it.

Being a prosecutor is just one very small process related component in the criminal justice system, which is why prestigious universities do not allow lawyers to teach most criminal justice classes. They teach criminal procedure and criminal law. They cannot teach subjects such as criminology and corrections because those subjects are not taught in law school. They process the criminal cases through the courts and that is it. A prosecutor commenting on theories of crime and delinquency is like an auto worker on an assembly line commenting on engine design based upon his experience installing gas tanks.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 am
Liberty wrote:
Being a prosecutor is just one very small process related component in the criminal justice system, which is why prestigious universities do not allow lawyers to teach most criminal justice classes. They teach criminal procedure and criminal law. They cannot teach subjects such as criminology and corrections because those subjects are not taught in law school. They process the criminal cases through the courts and that is it. A prosecutor commenting on theories of crime and delinquency is like an auto worker on an assembly line commenting on engine design based upon his experience installing gas tanks.

How many JDs does the University of Akron have teaching in its Criminal Justice Technology Department? Are you publicly stating that any such professors are poor instructors?
Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Follow this link (https://www.higheredjobs.com/faculty/de ... %20Justice) and look at the minimum qualifications:

Quote:
Minimum Qualifications:
Ph.D. in Criminal Justice or Criminology from an accredited institution, enrollment in a terminal degree program in Criminal Justice or Criminology, or earned doctorate in a related field is acceptable with a history of teaching and scholarly publication in criminal justice as the primary scholarly identity. ABD's may apply with evidence of expected completion. The Juris Doctorate as a terminal degree is not acceptable for this position.

This is the typical ad for criminal justice faculty. By the way, Juris Doctor is a law degree.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:00 pm
Liberty wrote:
This is the typical ad for criminal justice faculty. By the way, Juris Doctor is a law degree.

I have long been aware of the general hiring policies. You did not answer my questions.
Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:47 pm
Lawyers with only legal experience are not qualified to teach criminology, corrections or public administration. I would only hire a lawyer with prosecutoral experience to teach evidence and legal process and criminal law. They generally do a very good job teaching those subjects. And I cannot answer questions that I have no knowledge about.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:32 pm
Liberty wrote:
And I cannot answer questions that I have no knowledge about.

Odd, that, after this post:

Liberty wrote:
Werz wrote:
Liberty wrote:
We could get parking lot carry if the legislators had to park for work where we (their subjects) have to park. Remember, they passed parking lot carry for themselves a couple of years ago.

There will be a lot of armed people in the University of Akron Lot 27 on Saturday, April 25th. Will you be one of them?

Just askin' ... :mrgreen:

And get fired?
Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:19 pm
No matter how hard you try to obfuscate what I just brought to light, your opinions about correctional treatment methods are no more insightful than the opinions of the average Joe on the street. You can throw criminal statutes around and misquote cases and twist the meaning of legal precedents in such a way that impress lay persons, but I don't think you know any more about criminology and the effectiveness of correctional treatment methods (including the effect of the length of sentences on recidivism) than those who pledge allegiance to you on this forum. In fact, I think many are more insightful.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:34 am
I think this one has run it's course....

Hate to do it, but it's now locked.

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 7 of 7 [ 99 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7