Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: CCW can I carry can I not carry.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:05 pm
I'm curious if anything is being done to allow CCW people ( law-abiding citizens) to carry anywhere they want? I'm so sick and tired of having to worry about where I can carry where I cannot carry. If you've watch the news you know it's not even safe to go to church. Why as a law-abiding citizen do we have to continue to be told where we can use our Second Amendment rights and where we cannot use our Second Amendment rights?
I know you will say don't go in there, don't patronize them. That's not the point, the point is as a law-abiding citizen in this state I should be able to carry my firearm anywhere I want to protect my family. I'm sick and tired of not being able as a law-abiding citizen in this state to carry my firearm anywhere I want. to protect my family. I'm not some crazy flippin' gun nut I'm just a person that wants to be able to have the right to protect his family if something was to happen.
With that being said what if anything is been done to rectify this problem in the state???
Post subject: Re: CCW can I carry can I not carry.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:14 pm
I feel your pain, as do most if not all of us with a Concealed Handgun License (CHL).

What is being done is that every legislative session there are bills introduced to try to improve gun laws here in the state. Some of them attempt to remove places we are prohibited from carrying, others seek to expand the list of states that recognize our license. Unfortunately, not all of them make it through the legislative process and become law. It is a slow process restoring our rights, but at the moment at least we are making headway.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:29 pm
cheshier2:

Welcome Aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory. Might be hazardous to your health, too :D....

We've been working on changing the law since it was first signed by Governor Taft, who helped fill it with poison pills and other lunacy because he and others felt that we'd never accept it. We did.... Unfortunately, it's "baby steps".

Right now, the big problems in CPZ's ("Criminal Protection Zones") seems to be houses of worship and some public property. Most of us aren't happy about private postings, but there's usually a choice. If "Fred's Bar and Grille" is posted, we can go someplace else. However, there are places we MUST patronize (BMV offices, hospitals, etc.) as well as the houses of worship issues, that are still locked up, and, as we can see from the other day, those signs work so very well.... Houses of Worship almost went away with HB48, but it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. Instead of "let 'em post if they want to", it's still a FELONY without permission.... (Most privately posted CPZs are a misdemeanor. They don't want us, but at least you're not a felon if you manage to accidentally wander in. However, being forced to pick another house of worship on this basis probably is unconstitutional at best.)

I'm spoiled.... I was commissioned as a Special Police Officer in the late 60's, and carried under that and with essentially no restrictions if you don't count a jail until the mid-80's. After that, the "Affirmative Defense" was also essentially unrestricted, but a bit fuzzy legally. Then, in 2004, I had to get a CHL. The restrictions were insane.... Most of the worst of them are gone, but we still have a lot of work. Not to mention the craziness needed to go across a state line....

Someday....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:43 am
Cheshier, also try to keep in mind that private property (business) owners have rights also. We don't want to see a legislature that tramples all over their rights in the name of lawful carry. That camel has its nose in the tent already, considering all the hoops a business must jump through to open and then continue to operate.

I do believe the statehouse could further decriminalize the "offense" of us carrying where 'No gun' signs are posted on private property, make it akin to a jaywalking ticket or staying too long at a parking meter. That is how it is in some of our neighboring states.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:24 am
I guess using the word "church" wasn't exactly the point I was trying to get a crossed. The point is, when I go out with my buddies/ wife every now and again, and we decide to go barhopping in the flats why is It as law a biding citizen I have to call these bars ahead of time and ask if they have a CCW policy. WTF!!!! I don't drink no need to go there..
Do these assholes in our legislative system have a clue????
Why as a society are we still putting up with this??
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:11 am
First, don't call ahead. Ever. If you show up and there is a sign on the door, go elsewhere. Simple. Calling ahead allows them to a: tell you something that isn't necessarily true and b: makes them think about whether or not they might want to put up a sign that they didn't have before.

Second, because owners of private property have rights to say what is and is not acceptable on their property, and we as a society *shouldn't* let the legislature decide that your rights trump theirs.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:50 am
cheshier2:

Also, as of about October 2011, the restriction against carrying in a bar has gone away, IF you're not drinking. There appears to be no blood alcohol figure - unlike a driving a car with a BAC of .08 or more. If the place isn't posted, you can go inside for a coffee or soft drink.

If you're going to drink, though, secure your weapon (empty, locked in the glovebox or trunk, with the ammunition at least out of the gun) before you go inside. (You don't have to empty the magazines.)

The "State Liquor" sign ("You may be committing a Felony....") does not apply to CHL's if the place isn't otherwise posted. I think that newer versions of the sign are supposed to tell you that.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:46 pm
cheshier2 wrote:
I guess using the word "church" wasn't exactly the point I was trying to get a crossed. The point is, when I go out with my buddies/ wife every now and again, and we decide to go barhopping in the flats why is It as law a biding citizen I have to call these bars ahead of time and ask if they have a CCW policy. WTF!!!! I don't drink no need to go there..
Do these assholes in our legislative system have a clue????
Why as a society are we still putting up with this??

Because the other half of us doesn't think we should be allowed to carry guns at all. Join the NRA, BFA, and get involved however you can.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]