Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:22 am
Figured I would waste my breath (Or typing in this case) to tell this pinhead what I thought about new gun legislation. My reply to him was "Did you even read my email".

See response below.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on efforts to reduce gun violence.

Gun violence in this country has become all too common. According to the Center for Disease Control, almost 12,000 Americans were murdered by firearms and over 33,000 people died due to injuries from firearms in 2013. When our children and families are no longer safe in our schools, in our malls, in our houses of worship, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The appalling number of mass shootings throughout the country and the frequency of gun-related deaths demand that we enact common-sense reforms.

Congress must improve background check systems and close background check loopholes to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the severely mentally ill. While individuals who purchase guns from licensed gun dealers are subject to background checks, those who obtain guns from other sources, such as the internet or gun shows, are not. In 2013, Senators Manchin and Toomey introduced a bipartisan proposal that would have required background checks for all gun sales in commercial settings. Such a change would help ensure that guns stay out of the hands of criminals or the mentally unstable. Despite the support of approximately 90 percent of all Americans, this legislation was blocked by a filibuster that required a supermajority for passage.

Further, under current law, stores further are permitted to sell a gun to a buyer after three days even if their background check is incomplete. This can cause gaps in the background check system and allow individuals who would be prohibited from purchasing a gun access to firearms if the background check had been completed. Going forward I will continue to support universal background checks and efforts to close background check loopholes.

Firearm laws can do more to protect victims of domestic abuse. Individuals convicted of intimate partner violence are prevented from purchasing or possessing firearms. However, only spouses, former spouses, cohabitants, and parents who share a child are covered under the definition of “intimate partner.” I support expanding the definition of “intimate partner” to include a dating partner, preventing individuals convicted of domestic violence against a person they are dating from purchasing a firearm.

It is imperative that we do more to address gun violence in this country. Should the Senate consider this issue in the future, I will support common-sense reforms that will help protect public safety and reduce gun violence. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
Post subject: Re: Sherrod Brown
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:09 am
Garbage in, garbage out.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:28 pm
Quote:
According to the Center for Disease Control, almost 12,000 Americans were murdered by firearms and over 33,000 people died due to injuries from firearms in 2013. When our children and families are no longer safe in our schools, in our malls, in our houses of worship, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action.

Since the statistics cited in the first sentence haven't appreciably changed in quite a few years it is NOT reasonable to come to the conclusion arrived at in the second sentence.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:41 am
Alan, Sherrod Brown's canned response to gun issues reads exactly the same now as several years ago when he was first elected. He may still be using numbers from back then.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:42 am
this just goes to show that you can't fix stupid
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]