Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Virginia ending reciprocity with 25 states including Ohio!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:33 am
Virginia elected a liberal Governor and Attorney General--the latter by 160 some votes out of 2 million cast. This is why elections have consequences..Hopefully I'll post the link properly:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/Virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

The excuse given is very suspect: they claim that other states are not as stringent in doing background checks as Virginia. According to information they paid the head of their state police to say..er, I mean according to the head of the Va. state police these other states were not doing the checks as thoroughly as Virginia.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post subject: Re: Virginia ending reciprocity with 25 states including Ohi
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:48 am
So, a bit more info, for those who might find themselves in VA without a license that VA recognizes:

Carry in your vehicle is legal if you secure the firearm in a container. The gun does not have to be unloaded, and the container does not have to be locked (but does appear to have to be closed).

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm

Quote:
As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.

Link to the AG opinion: http://www.oag.state.va.us/files/Opinio ... Newman.pdf

And, open carry is legal in VA in most places it is legal to carry concealed with a license.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:56 pm
Even with the open carry option I am now WAY less likely to spend much time--or any money--in Va. unless this gets fixed. Darn shame, their gun rights advocates do such a good job working to improve their laws.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:57 pm
Agreed, Brian. I did the research since I cut through the state when visiting relatives in Northeast Tennessee, but I'll not be stopping in the state unless I have to, and certainly won't be spending any money there that I can avoid.

It really is a shame since their gun rights advocacy group works so hard and generally gets good results - but elect two liberal antis to key positions and, well, this is the result.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:17 pm
I just Called the VA Dept. of Tourism and told them as long as this stands I will not be visiting VA Beach or Williamsburg like I traditionally do 2 weeks a year. Ask for the director.

http://www.vatc.org/home/

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:31 pm
Ranger 230 wrote:
I just Called the VA Dept. of Tourism and told them as long as this stands I will not be visiting VA Beach or Williamsburg like I traditionally do 2 weeks a year. Ask for the director.

http://www.vatc.org/home/

But, Virginia is for lovers!!!!!!

Lovers of what is the question.....
Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:43 am
What you did was good, Ranger. Would love to hear of their Department of Tourism website crashing due to high volume of complaints. That typically gets the attention of higher ups.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:12 pm
One might also consider applying for a Virginia Nonresident Handgun Permit.

As suggested on another forum, an Ohio CHL could be used as proof of firearms competency -- oh what irony :-)

Tanfoglio 45/22 Target Pistol
Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:43 pm
kb8dnr wrote:

As suggested on another forum, an Ohio CHL could be used as proof of firearms competency -- oh what irony :-)

As mentioned elsewhere, VA doesn't have a problem with our requirements for training for a CHL so it makes sense they would accept our CHL as proof of *competency*. The issue is that they claim our background check and related requirements are too lax. For example, as I understand it, they deny a license if you have a DUI conviction on your record, while Ohio does not.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:41 pm
kb8dnr wrote:

I wouldn't give them the money for that as things currently stand.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:24 am
I am a bit surprised that the main BFA site has not run this story yet. It's not like the contributors took Christmas week off either, several other new items are on there.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:35 pm
Yes, Virginia, There is a Grinch.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:51 pm
BFA did get around to this story on their main page, right after I posted wondering where they were...

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:58 pm
I agree with Ranger 230, I didn't leave anything in Virgina the last time I was there either.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:20 am
AFVet16:

Welcome Aboard!

(Brian - I thought I saw that someplace before the BFA board carried it. Can't remember where.... :) )

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should take a look at (well, just the first couple pages). It's not mandatory, and could be sleep inducing, but for what they pay me here, what did you expect? :D

(2317 electrons per month. That about pays for the period on the end of this sentence.)

(I think I get a cost of living increase in January. That'll be enough to use commas.... :D)

It's been forever, but I used to drive to Anderson SC (near Atlanta) several times a year, and a piece of that run (on I-77) is through VA. I don't think I ever stopped for anything but fuel, but that could be a nuisance for southbound travelers. Beautiful ride, though - especially during the leaf viewing season.

I'm hoping that the fools who signed off on this get tossed out of office quickly, but expect to see the tactic repeated elsewhere, like Zero's "executive orders". Unfortunately, most state-level actions in the reciprocity area aren't quite as likely to raise a Supreme Court rebuke, and nothing will happen quickly.

Meantime, Enjoy!

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]