Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:00 pm
With the threat that came from ISIL of terrorism here at home, SB-199 only makes sense.
Our military sons and daughters should be able to have and carry personal protection while being home on leave.
***** PLEASE, write to your member of the legislature and ask them to sign on and approve this bill to have it
enacted as soon as possible.
Post subject: Re: Ohio SB-199,GET ACTIVE !
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:17 pm
Toledo Ron wrote:
With the threat that came from ISIL of terrorism here at home, SB-199 only makes sense.
Our military sons and daughters should be able to have and carry personal protection while being home on leave.
***** PLEASE, write to your member of the legislature and ask them to sign on and approve this bill to have it
enacted as soon as possible.

Looks like SB-199 passed the Ohio Senate 32 to 0 on Apr 27, 2016 and was referred to the Ohio House State Government Committee on May 5, 2016. The following link has more details:

http://openstates.org/oh/bills/131/SB199/?show_all_sponsors=True

Tanfoglio 45/22 Target Pistol
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 pm
I work in an FTZ in Ohio where the employer bans guns, yet fails to adequately protect us. Does SB199 mean one could still leave it securely inside their car without said employer taking action?

Or is more lobbying needed?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 pm
If the bill becomes law, once it takes effect there are some conditions you have to meet for it to protect you:

Quote:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;
(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.

Once you meet those two requirements, the employer:

Quote:
may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition

Now, there are still some potential issues:

First *there is no penalty in the law if the employer violates the provision.*

Second, *there is no remedy for an employee who is terminated in violation of this provision.*

Third, it is unclear if having the parking lot posted would still have the force of law under Ohio's trespass statutes.

Fourth and finally, since Ohio is an at-will employment state, if they find out you have a gun in your car, they can just fire you for something else.

So yeah, this bill really doesn't do anything. Good luck.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:52 am
OHDroid wrote:
I work in an FTZ in Ohio where the employer bans guns, yet fails to adequately protect us. Does SB199 mean one could still leave it securely inside their car without said employer taking action?

Welcome aboard!

OH is an "At Will" state for employment. IOW, no shirt, no shoes, no job :(, or something like that. SB199 does provide minimal protection for licensees in this case, but about the only value is that you may be able to make a civil case out of a firing. For the small employer this could be expensive. For General Motors, they probably have janitors capable of dealing with you.... Mostly, I think, it just makes the problem a bit more visible.

Hm.... What's an "FTZ"?

Quote:

I think you'll find that in the Bible :D....

Someday....

Meantime, Welcome Aboard! There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you probably should have a look at. It's not mandatory, but might be sleep inducing. Just the first couple pages, though, unless pain is one of your hobbies. An idea of who's here, and how this place works.

Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:33 am
SMMAssociates wrote:
OHDroid wrote:

Welcome aboard!

OH is an "At Will" state for employment. IOW, no shirt, no shoes, no job :(, or something like that. SB199 does provide minimal protection for licensees in this case, but about the only value is that you may be able to make a civil case out of a firing. For the small employer this could be expensive. For General Motors, they probably have janitors capable of dealing with you.... Mostly, I think, it just makes the problem a bit more visible.

Hm.... What's an "FTZ"?

Quote:

I think you'll find that in the Bible :D....

Someday....

Meantime, Welcome Aboard! There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you probably should have a look at. It's not mandatory, but might be sleep inducing. Just the first couple pages, though, unless pain is one of your hobbies. An idea of who's here, and how this place works.

Enjoy!

Pain isn't really a hobby, just a byproduct of them. :lol:

I got most of the answer with some free time at work. The parking lot we park in is NOT part of the FTZ. So, that part does not apply. I was only wondering how it could in theory apply to that situation.

Employment wise there is At-Will, and Implied Contract. Since we are an At-Will state, and if SB 199 became law- if they search your car because someone says they seen you with a Glock, they may have went too far. That's also where some other nasty issues arise. Like the estimated $20 in pocket change that was in your console that is now "missing".

If I was an employer, I would just call the PD and let them handle it. Regardless of if I had a private army on standby.

The wording “…may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting….” Is where I think it will get interesting.

But my opinion may be wrong.

But since I kicked the can of worms I will clarify. I don't have any, intention of carrying there as I also don't feel good about leaving a gun in a car. Maybe if I MIG weld a safe into the trunk. I do know of a few who do- using tricks.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 am
Newly created R.C. § 2923.1210 by Sub. S. B. 199 appears to be broader in scope than applying to just employers and employees. It states: “A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person…” Would this not apply to parking lot postings at, for example, a shopping center—or an employer’s parking lot? One would just have to comply with the condition of locking it in the vehicle before exiting.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 pm
Liberty wrote:
Newly created R.C. § 2923.1210 by Sub. S. B. 199 appears to be broader in scope than applying to just employers and employees. It states: “A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person…” Would this not apply to parking lot postings at, for example, a shopping center—or an employer’s parking lot? One would just have to comply with the condition of locking it in the vehicle before exiting.
2923.1210 is garbage. "Privately owned motor vehicle" and "locked within the trunk. glove box. or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle" is going backwards, not forward. Not in a friends vehicle or a rented vehicle or your spouses vehicle, but your owned motor vehicle. What is interesting is if someone walks onto the property then the property owner can be sued.

This bill is garbage.

I did not know that the military issues documentation of successful completion
of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:48 pm
Liberty wrote:

Interesting observation - and I don't see anything that would contradict your interpretation.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]