Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: Ohio CHL's are NICS-compliant now!
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:13 am
Couple days ago the Ohio AG finally got the feds at BATFE to recognize our NICS-based background check system that has been in use since March 23 of 2015. What that will mean is that if you have an Ohio CHL that was issued or renewed after that date, you will no longer have to wait for a dealer to contact the NICS people when purchasing a handgun in Ohio. You will still have to fill out the Form 4473, show your valid Ohio CHL, and be on your way.

Dealers do not HAVE to participate in this method though, it is their choice. Some may wish to wait until ALL carry licenses have an issue/reissue date newer than 3/23/15, for a few more years some of us will still have the pre-NICS vetted licenses. Think my next renewal is in 2018.

It's not a huge deal, and several other states beat us to this. But, if you've ever tried to buy a gun when the NICS system was down, or very busy, you'll appreciate being able to skip that step and get to the range minutes or hours sooner.

Sorry about the off-the-cuff style of this post, was hoping a BFA bigwig would put up a better crafted announcement here on the forum. Waited long enough, dang it! :lol:

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post subject: Re: Ohio CHL's are NICS-compliant now!
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:46 am
It was on the front page of BFA yesterday.

Do you really think some FFL's will wait 4 years to start using the new procedure? Maybe we should start a list of FFL's that accept NICS compliant CHL's for transfers.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:13 pm
Liberty wrote:
It was on the front page of BFA yesterday.

Do you really think some FFL's will wait 4 years to start using the new procedure? Maybe we should start a list of FFL's that accept NICS compliant CHL's for transfers.

Have talked to a couple of them who are unwilling to do it, including a bigger one who may not accept it for now.

We are cool with it, really with the electronic check it doesn't save much, though i have spent half of today and yesterday explaining that people still need to do the 4473

07/02 SOT
Owner of http://www.gunenvy.com

Gun Envy LLC - Gun Store, Importer and Manufacturer INSIDE Columbus City limits :)
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:56 pm
So, we can put gunenvy.com in the good column. I don't suppose you would be willing to out the businesses that refuse to accept a NICS compliant CHL?

This is important to some people because they get delayed or denied unjustly, and BHO has reassigned the personnel who process NICS appeals to other duties. So, there are people who have a NICS compliant CHL who cannot purchase a firearm because someone in NICS made an error, and their appeal will not be considered.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:05 pm
Liberty wrote:
So, we can put gunenvy.com in the good column. I don't suppose you would be willing to out the businesses that refuse to accept a NICS compliant CHL?

This is important to some people because they get delayed or denied unjustly, and BHO has reassigned the personnel who process NICS appeals to other duties. So, there are people who have a NICS compliant CHL who cannot purchase a firearm because someone in NICS made an error, and their appeal will not be considered.

I dont want to name names, but some of the bigger ones wont because their over cautious lawyers are saying not to for liability sake.

07/02 SOT

Gun Envy LLC - Gun Store, Importer and Manufacturer INSIDE Columbus City limits :)
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:58 pm
There is no liability issue. To obtain and continue to possess an Ohio CHL issued after March 23, 2015, requires more scrutiny than the NICS check done by a FFL. I believe that either the store owners or management or their lawyers are against our freedoms, and therefore, do not deserve our business! Those lawyers are not the ones who spend thousands of dollars on guns, ammo and gear.

I have a CHL issued last June and a lot of money. I will not buy anything from a FFL who will not accept my CHL as an alternative to the NICS check.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:25 pm
Liberty wrote:
There is no liability issue. To obtain and continue to possess an Ohio CHL issued after March 23, 2015, requires more scrutiny than the NICS check done by a FFL. I believe that either the store owners or management or their lawyers are against our freedoms, and therefore, do not deserve our business! Those lawyers are not the ones who spend thousands of dollars on guns, ammo and gear.

I have a CHL issued last June and a lot of money. I will not buy anything from a FFL who will not accept my CHL as an alternative to the NICS check.

Got to agree with your stance on this, Liberty. It's not like this just happened suddenly and blindsided the dealers.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:52 pm
And it is easier for the FFL to just make a copy of your CHL. Both BFA and OFCC spent an enormous amount of political capital to get this done, and we gave up some state sovereignty too, i.e., requiring federal approval for issuance of CHL's.

The FFL's that refuse to accept a compliant CHL should see a steady stream of CHL holders with pockets full of cash decline to purchase expensive firearms, ammo & gear after being told that their CHL is not good enough.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 am
Liberty wrote:
And it is easier for the FFL to just make a copy of your CHL. Both BFA and OFCC spent an enormous amount of political capital to get this done, and we gave up some state sovereignty too, i.e., requiring federal approval for issuance of CHL's.

The FFL's that refuse to accept a compliant CHL should see a steady stream of CHL holders with pockets full of cash decline to purchase expensive firearms, ammo & gear after being told that their CHL is not good enough.

Well, now you went too far...I don't have pockets full of cash these days, and it's been forever since I purchased anything not in the scratch and dent showcase. :lol:

Going to start inquiring at the local boomstick stores about this though, you can count on it.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:09 pm
I just got off the phone with Fin Feather Fur, and I was told that they will not accept a NICS compliant CHL as an alternative to calling NICS. They just lost me as a customer until they change that policy.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 pm
Liberty wrote:
I just got off the phone with Fin Feather Fur, and I was told that they will not accept a NICS compliant CHL as an alternative to calling NICS. They just lost me as a customer until they change that policy.

I just accepted my first, from a customer who had no idea he could do it that way.

07/02 SOT

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 pm
I just got off the phone with Pro Armament Co in Cuyahoga Falls, and was told that my CHL is acceptable as an alternative to calling NICS.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:28 pm
docpadds wrote:
Liberty wrote:

I just accepted my first, from a customer who had no idea he could do it that way.

I wish you were not so far away. I need an LCP for summer carry. My R1 is pulling down my shorts. Fin has LCP for $199. I guess I will pay more somewhere else. I also need a 45/70 for a hog hunting trip and for deer season.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:34 pm
I just got off the phone with Kames Sports in North Canton, and was told that my CHL is acceptable as an alternative to calling NICS. That is good news because they probably have most of what I was planning to buy from Fin Feather Fur.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:35 pm
Just called Dobransky's Firearms in North Canton and they are also accepting a CHL issued/renewed 3/23/2015 or later in lieu of a NICS check.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
 Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next