Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Ohio CHL's are NICS-compliant now!
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:44 pm
Midwest Gun Club in Canal Fulton are also accepting a CHL issued/renewed 3/23/2015 or later in lieu of a NICS check.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:55 pm
Stark Arms in Canton plans to start accepting a CHL issued/renewed 3/23/2015 or later in lieu of a NICS check within the week after they've had a chance to review the procedures and train their staff.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:26 pm
Headed to Kames Sports this morning with a pocket full of cash. They did not have an LCP, but there was this nickel plated 1873 calling my name. They made the transfers without calling NICS. They just made a copy of my CHL and wrote the CHL number on the federal form. And you guys should see the 1886 special edition my son bought from Kames. Wow.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:23 am
Last time I headed for my LGS with a pocket full of cash, the wife found out about it.

:(

Back in '89, when I bought myself a car, I had to buy her a house. Wouldn't have minded too much, but she made me live there....

Or, as I sometime put it, "I was a very wealthy man until my wife found out about it."

I do, though, get to brag. I've got about $90,000 worth of cars out in the driveway. Unfortunately, the newest one is 17 years old, and has about 112,000 miles on it.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:45 pm
Gander Mountain in Twinsburg just accepted my CHL issued after 3/23/2015 in lieu of a NICS check. They also price matched Fin Feather Fur sales ad.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:12 am
Do you still fill out form 4473?

_Don_
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:05 am
Yes, you still have to do the form (manually or electronically)

07/02 SOT
Owner of http://www.gunenvy.com

Gun Envy LLC - Gun Store, Importer and Manufacturer INSIDE Columbus City limits :)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:35 pm
I've shopped at Fins in the past, however, prefer going to Pro-Armament. Jeremy, Ted, and Don and the rest of the P-A crew there are more friendly and don't have the "you made your purchase, we have your money, now get the Hell out" attitude. While Fins allows either open or concealed, they only permitted this within the last year and rather reluctantly. A few years ago I was in the Belden Village store and accidently flashed my XD-S when I bent over to pick up something that someone dropped on the floor. Plus, the sales people at Fins only seem to know what they've been told by the manufacturers or read in the sales literature.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:41 pm
Now if Ohio would submit to NLET, we would probably be able to get licensed in IL or possibly make for a good argument for reciprocity.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:00 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
Now if Ohio would submit to NLET, we would probably be able to get licensed in IL or possibly make for a good argument for reciprocity.

Had to look up that acronym. No idea what it might entail regarding our CHL's in Ohio, but somehow suspect the cost would go up. To me, paying extra to visit Illinois lawfully armed versus not going there, I'll take the latter.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:03 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Uncle Duke wrote:

Had to look up that acronym. No idea what it might entail regarding our CHL's in Ohio, but somehow suspect the cost would go up. To me, paying extra to visit Illinois lawfully armed versus not going there, I'll take the latter.

I tend to agree, especially since Illinois law now allows us as Ohio residents with an Ohio CHL to carry in our vehicles, and my need to visit Illinois has been limited to needing to traverse the state (which I do as expeditiously as possible, without contributing to their economy in a positive way).

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:59 pm
Great Lakes Outdoor Supply in Bainbridge told me today that my CHL is acceptable as an alternative to calling NICS.

I went to Fin Feather Fur on Tuesday and listened to excuses about why my CHL is NOT acceptable to them as an alternative to calling NICS.

1. It is too easy for me to make a fake CHL.
2. What if I told the Sheriff that I lost it in order to get a replacement so I can beat my wife and still be able to buy a gun with my old CHL after the Sheriff confiscates my replacement.
3. What if I use my brother’s CHL.
4. NICS does a better background check than the local Sheriff (one sales person admitted that he gets delayed sometimes by NICS and approved on the same day at a different FFL).

They should change their name to Big Brother Fin Feather Fur. I told them that I would not buy anything from them until they changed their policy. I was going to spend about $400.00 on ammo if Big Brother Fin Feather Fur had changed its policy. Instead, I drove a couple miles away to Gander Mountain in North Canton (where I was told that my CHL is acceptable as an alternative to calling NICS) to buy ammo.

Everything Big Brother Fin Feather Fur sells, I can buy somewhere else without the suspicious looks by elitist snobs who think I am a lying, wife beating criminal.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:55 pm
Liberty wrote:
I was going to spend about $400.00 on ammo if Big Brother Fin Feather Fur had changed its policy. Instead, I drove a couple miles away to Gander Mountain in North Canton (where I was told that my CHL is acceptable as an alternative to calling NICS) to buy ammo.

Next time, consider stopping at Dobransky Firearms at the intersection of Portage & Promway instead, and support a local small business rather than a big, impersonal chain store... :wink:

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:43 pm
I have spent money at Dobransky's. Nice people there and they price match. Gander Mountain usually has a better selection of ammo, and Kames usually has a better selection of guns. I also wanted to make the point that a bigger chain store is more personable than the local family owned chain store. I use to shop at Fin because it was family owned and their selection was usually very good, but I cannot give money to a business that snubs us and all of the work put into getting that legislation done. What they are doing is the equivalent to a grocery store refusing to sell you beer based upon your driver's license (i.e., legal requirement and how every other business does it), and requiring you bring in a witness to your birth.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:56 am
Since when do you need a NICS check to buy ammo in Ohio?
It's possible I mis-read that post.
Knowing my record, it's quite probable.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
 Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next