Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Ohio CHL's are NICS-compliant now!
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:16 am
He's not saying you need a NICS check to buy ammo. He's saying he won't even buy ammo or other supplies / gear from a dealer that won't accept a CHL in place of a NICS check for a firearm purchase.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:29 am
Liberty makes a very valid point. Excuses such as he describes, whether from a store employee or the owner, pretty lame stuff. I wouldn't want to deal with them either.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:52 am
AlanM wrote:
Since when do you need a NICS check to buy ammo in Ohio?
It's possible I mis-read that post.
Knowing my record, it's quite probable.

Not necessary, but if you're going to patronize a store on a regular basis, such as to take advantage of sales (especially ammo), why patronize someone who isn't willing to recognize your privilege an allow you to make your purchase with your CHL, rather than making you submit to NICS?

I prefer to support the small businessman, even if it costs me a few more dollars. My experience is that the people at Dobransky and Pro-Armament have actually shot the handguns and rifles that they sell. Plus, at Pro-Armament they regularly stock what they advertise and have them available to try out at the range. I would rather talk to someone that has shot the firearm rather than some blowhard (like at Fins) who claims to be an "expert." Plus, I think that the company uniform that identifies their staff as certified instructors were giveaways from S&W.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:56 pm
Alan:

Some years ago, we had to fill out a form similar to the 4473 to purchase ammo. That went away long before 2004....

There is, however, talk of adding background checks to ammo purchase. I expect that won't go anywhere, but the folks proposing it probably don't remember it from last time. IAC, the criminals won't even notice.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:37 pm
I can remember back about '79 having to sign a bound book at J.C.Penny's on the west side of Cleveland to buy a brick of .22lr ammo. I thought that quite strange at the time.
Never had to provide ID or sign anything for ammo since.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 pm
Alan:

'79 sounds about right.... I bought a big coffee cup full of .22's (Remington promotion, I think), and needed ID. What I can't remember is whether I kept the .22's and gave the cup to a buddy, or vice versa. I wasn't shooting much then, and mostly '38s.

I think that was the only time for me, too, but breakfast today is a mystery now :D....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:43 pm
Today I went to Kames Sports in North Canton to purchase two firearms and 1,500 rounds of ammo because they had previously accepted my NICS compliant CHL, as per BATFE instructions, as a substitute for running a NICS background check. I was told by the woman behind the counter that Kames no longer recognizes NICS compliant CHL's because their lawyer told them that Ohio Sheriffs issue CHL's to people with domestic violence convictions and do not revoke CHL's once someone gets a felony conviction; they wait for it to expire instead. She said that I may have beaten my wife the night before and have come into the store to buy a gun in order to finish her off.

I told her that their lawyer is wrong, that the change in policy is an affront to the years of hard work by BFA and OFCC to get the law changed and that I will never shop at Kames again. Then I left without purchasing anything.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:36 pm
I was in Dick's Gun Room in Cuyahoga Falls today, and was just about to purchase a very nice, and rather expensive, used firearm, when I was advised that my NICS compliant CHL would not be recognized. I really wanted that gun, but I cannot compromise my principles; so I walked out.

The man told me that NICS had recently denied a transfer for a customer who had a NICS compliant CHL. I am sure he was thinking that proved that Ohio Sheriff's issue CHL's to prohibited people, but the first thing that crossed my mind was the thousands of people who win appeals of NICS denials, and the fact that our current president has turned previously respected federal agencies into weapons to punish those who oppose the democrat party and to protect their elites who violate the law.

Maybe the person who was denied was a TEA party member or maybe the FBI found out that that person is a NRA and BFA member. I am not aware of any situation where an Ohio Sheriff has issued a NICS compliant CHL to a prohibited person. So, in all likelihood, Dick's Gun Room recently helped the federal government violate someone's constitutional rights. If I were that person, I would file a 42 U.S.C. § 1983 federal lawsuit against Dick's Gun Room for violating my civil rights after I won my NICS appeal. There is enough evidence to present to a jury that it is much more likely that the local Sheriff is much, much less likely to error when issuing a CHL than the NICS is to make mistakes.

Probably the most beneficial thing about the NICS compliant CHL's is that it created a situation that reveals what businesses really support our freedoms and those that lie to us in order to get our money.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:17 pm
I recently was at alpha star tactical in columbus approximately a month ago and was refused using the CHL as an alternate to the NICS check because "it won't be in effect for several months"

The Hippocratic Oath does not only apply to helping the patient but protecting them when they are under your care.

NRA Member
Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership Member
Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:24 pm
Liberty wrote:
Probably the most beneficial thing about the NICS compliant CHL's is that it created a situation that reveals what businesses really support our freedoms and those that lie to us in order to get our money.

I don't look at it that way. I see it as some stores see the flaw in the system and don't want the legal battle if a firearm they sell is used in a crime. The other stores simply don't care about that battle and are willing to fight it. It's really all up to what battles and what kind of press you want.

And if you truly think a a CHL is immediately suspended for someone that was arrested for raping a ten year old in Kentucky las week you are wrong. The system is heavily broke, and even more so when it deals with information sharing between states.

And I must missed this one back in June...

Uncle Duke wrote:
Now if Ohio would submit to NLET, we would probably be able to get licensed in IL or possibly make for a good argument for reciprocity.

But what does NLETS have to do with anything? NLETS stores nothing and is pretty much nothing more than AOL for law enforcement. It's the connection method between agencies and allows sending of data and messages between agencies, but really holds nothing.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 pm
If a gun store follows the letter of the law when transferring a firearm, i.e., recording the CHL number and accurately completing everything else, there is no more liability than if they had reported the purchase to the feds via NICS. And if you are arrested for raping a 10 year old girl in Kentucky, you are not going to be free to purchase a firearm at Fin Feather Fur. Moreover, a refusal to sell that person a firearm does nothing to undo the rape.

Background checks do not reduce crime. Laws that prohibit certain people from having firearms do not reduce crime. These are irrefutable facts. Like the islamic supremacist in France who used truck to kill people because he could not obtain a firearm. He probably would have killed less people with a firearm. If the 9/11/2001 islamic supremacists would have used firearms they would have killed less people.

We here all know these things, but many do not because of the propaganda displayed in the media. Gun stores taking extra steps to "make sure guns don't fall into the wrong hands" furthers the propaganda and works against our cause. Just remember if Clinton is elected and gets to make supreme court appointments, we will soon be designated as having "the wrong hands."

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:36 am
Liberty wrote:
If a gun store follows the letter of the law when transferring a firearm, i.e., recording the CHL number and accurately completing everything else, there is no more liability than if they had reported the purchase to the feds via NICS. And if you are arrested for raping a 10 year old girl in Kentucky, you are not going to be free to purchase a firearm at Fin Feather Fur. Moreover, a refusal to sell that person a firearm does nothing to undo the rape.

Background checks do not reduce crime. Laws that prohibit certain people from having firearms do not reduce crime. These are irrefutable facts. Like the islamic supremacist in France who used truck to kill people because he could not obtain a firearm. He probably would have killed less people with a firearm. If the 9/11/2001 islamic supremacists would have used firearms they would have killed less people.

We here all know these things, but many do not because of the propaganda displayed in the media. Gun stores taking extra steps to "make sure guns don't fall into the wrong hands" furthers the propaganda and works against our cause. Just remember if Clinton is elected and gets to make supreme court appointments, we will soon be designated as having "the wrong hands."

All true but for the first paragraph, if the have an Ohio CHL and FFF accepts that, the sale COULD and most likely would go through. Now if FFF calls NICS, NICS would see the arrest last week and deny the transfer. Right now there is no process for an out of state department to confiscate a CHL, or for them to know it even exists without running special queries on the person that are not standard queries.. Ohio law simply allows an Ohio sheriff that issued the license to suspend it once they become aware of the arrest. Which currently in 87 counties is not until they renew unless someone specifically calls them.

That's where the media and political backlash will occur for that store. And some simply don't want it. Their choice and your choice to shop there or not. But a reason to say the store doesn't support your second amendment right, I disagree. Heck, FFF should be able to sell you a Hi Point without any check or form at all. After all, it is 100% made in Ohio therefore no interstate commerce involved.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:03 pm
Ohio CHL's come up when running driver's license. So when someone is arrested for a disqualifying offense anywhere in the United States, the arresting agency knows the person has an Ohio CHL. You don't think that the arresting agency will immediately notify the CHL issuing Sheriff about the disqualifying offense?

And media and political backlash? really? Can it get any worse than the fact that they sell firearms? Would such a backlash cause people not to buy firearms from them? Those people don't buy firearms anyhow. You and I do. Such a backlash would encourage me to go there and spend money.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:22 pm
The backlash for FFL's comes from their employees accusing their customers of being wife beating criminals or back woods child molesters and from voluntarily reporting their firearms purchases, via NICS, to a federal government that wants to confiscate them.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm
Jedi I'm not picking on you here--you know me better than that--but above, you stated the practice of 87 counties in Ohio. We have 88 counties, are you saying there's one that acts differently with regards to CHL seizure?

Liberty, Jedi is pretty spot on with information he provides in this realm. It's what he does for a living, and actually stays on top of changes good and bad as they're made.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next