Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: "Notification" horror stories
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 pm
I'm sure many of you do not really like the part of Ohio's concealed carry law which requires notification if carrying/transporting a loadeed handun if stopped "for a law enforcement purpose". Some folks have had very negative interactions with LE over this. Some officers still seem to believe that notification is required even when there's no firearm present, which has never been the case since CC passed in 2004. Other officers have scolded or even arrested detainess because they failed to notify "promptly" enough, again this is a problem.

Over at OFCC, there is now an effort to compile such incidents, for future consideration in law making. While I don't believe this will ultimately be productive (and told the Coordinator who started the topic why, given our past history of much talk and little action) I will try here to add numbers to this effort, such as it is.

BFA Top Brass, if any of you are reading this, I implore your organization to work in lockstep with OFCC on it. If we don't have big dollars to throw at the Statehouse, maybe we can at least throw some bigger statistics their way.

Forum members, please feel free to list your negative encounters concerning notification.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post subject: Re: "Notification" horror stories
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:03 pm
Just finished working on a case where someone was charged with failure to inform. He informed. The prosecutor dismissed the case. It was obvious the prosecutor did not understand the law.

The law or the courts do not define "stopped for a law enforcement purpose." No one knows the answer, not even the cops know the answer. But, the cops will use it to their advantage.

Asking gutless politicians to fix their stupidity it stupid.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:51 pm
I have only had to give notice one time, and it was very cordial. It is my opinion that the notification law violates the U.S. Constitution and should be repealed.

I also believe that it gives police officers a false sense of security. Anyone who would want to shoot a police officer would not obey the notification law. Police need to assume that everyone is armed. The notification law can interfere with inexperienced officers' automatic thought processes, and thereby, subject them to greater danger than if the notification law did not exist.

With regards to financially supporting pro freedom candidates, I think we may have been doing it wrong. The legislators propose teaser bills with steak, potatoes and beer at the beginning of the legislative term. Then they hold out for two years (while cashing our checks and listening to us sing praises to them) until the lame duck session and give us a white castle burger, wilted fries and water with no ice. I will take it because we can live on it, but it is not steak, potatoes and beer, which is what the Constitution mandates. I think we should have a way to donate in a block only once legislation is signed into law, and have a recommended amount each individual should give based upon a rating system of how good the legislation is. We should also refrain from talking up the candidates until their legislation is actually signed into law. I will probably be attacked by "anonymous" legislators and/or their staff or friends, but I don't get paid until I do my job; why should they? I know some appear very sincere and appear to work very hard to get things done, but maybe they would find a way to get it done if we only reward results and not effort.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:23 pm
Two years ago, on the Edgewater Pier in Cleveland fishing. It was early June, about 7:30pm. The pier was packed with fishermen, and families with lots of young children about.

A Metroparks Ranger with a trainee was walking the pier checking people fishing for their license. I saw them coming, so I got out my fishing license, my drivers license, and my CHL. When they got to me, I handed the younger Ranger the stack with my CHL on top, and said quietly ""Just so you know, here's all my permits including my CHL." I didn't want to scare any people up on the pier, and figured being subtle would be best.

WRONG.

The older Ranger started screaming at me that I need to notify them in a loud clear voice when I'm carrying a gun, and he should take me to jail right then and there. He screams at me that I should know the law, and wanted to know why I didn't inform him to his liking.

I told him that I didn't want to alarm the families up on the pier. Which is exactly what the Ranger's screaming did. Everyone who wasn't fishing quickly left.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]