Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post subject: How many of you know that you can not carry while hunting
Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:33 am
Without a permission slip?

Talked to my Ohio Representative last week and said we are an "open carry" state and he didn't know that.

It clearly states, in the Ohio Hunting and trapping book, page 11, under A deer hunter "CANNOT DO THE FOLLOWING" #4: "Carry a handgun while hunting deer during deer muzzle-loader season and archery season; have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a handgun in a concealable manner. Except as noted in No.11 under A Deer Hunters Can Do The Following.

In other words, when you put a heavy jacket of coat on it is now concealed.

He said he would look into it and see if we can change that with or, will support the a Constitutional Law...

What say you and the BFA?

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)
Post subject: Re: How many of you know that you can not carry while huntin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:52 pm
Something is not ringing true with your post?
Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 pm
Cruiser wrote:
Something is not ringing true with your post?

By all means, please, correct me.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm
From page 38 of the hunting laws book,

"A person possessing a valid concealed
handgun license may carry their concealed
handgun while hunting and trapping, but
it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill
any wild animal."

You needed to read a little further than page 11.

Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Member
ORPA Member
BFA Forums Member
WVCDL Member
Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:37 am
djmac1964 wrote:

any wild animal."

And you need to understand what you are reading.

"It clearly states, in the Ohio Hunting and trapping book, page 11, under A deer hunter "CANNOT DO THE FOLLOWING" #4: "Carry a handgun while hunting deer during deer muzzle-loader season and archery season; have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a handgun in a concealable manner. Except as noted in No.11 under A Deer Hunters Can Do The Following."

This is not about "permission slips"

This is about open and concealed carrying and NOT NEEDING A PERMISSION SLIP TO PROTECT OURSELVES IN THE WOODS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Even if they pass the open carry, 99% use coats while hunting and would conceal our weapon by wearing a jackets / coats. This needs changed.

Do you understand now?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:35 pm
Again, a "heavy lift" with both ODNR, and in this case the Statehouse itself. Getting first certain caliber handguns, and more recently "handgun caliber" rifles, allowed for deer hunting took many years of effort, and that was really just through dealing with DNR at their annual open house meetings. But they are not autonomous, the legislative branch and Ohio AG office weigh in on such regulations, too.

The restrictions on carry while in/on a motor vehicle for those not possessing a "permission slip" were onerous enough to make me, and thousands of others who would love to see Constitutional, license-less carry, give in and get one. Almost every hard core OC, no-license advocate I've met in the last dozen years got really, really tired of the loading, unloading, lather, rinse, repeat cycle for using a car when they didn't have their CHL.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:23 pm
Why? Why hasn't this been changed, what is the reasoning that Law Abiding cirizens are the only ones who jump through the unconstiitutional hoops? We ALL know that Criminals do not and do what they want.

Do we just give up now? I just talked to my State representative who said he had no idea this was the law? We need to open eyes and change the laws to favor law abiding citizens, not impead our rights based on permission slips, our rights are not for sale? Wake up, and stand up!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:14 pm
Well, I guess you told me! :roll:

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
djmac1964 wrote:

any wild animal."

And you need to understand what you are reading.

"It clearly states, in the Ohio Hunting and trapping book, page 11, under A deer hunter "CANNOT DO THE FOLLOWING" #4: "Carry a handgun while hunting deer during deer muzzle-loader season and archery season; have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a handgun in a concealable manner. Except as noted in No.11 under A Deer Hunters Can Do The Following."

This is not about "permission slips"

This is about open and concealed carrying and NOT NEEDING A PERMISSION SLIP TO PROTECT OURSELVES IN THE WOODS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Even if they pass the open carry, 99% use coats while hunting and would conceal our weapon by wearing a jackets / coats. This needs changed.

Do you understand now?

Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Member
ORPA Member
BFA Forums Member
WVCDL Member
Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:15 pm
WVRiflemannOH wrote:
Why? Why hasn't this been changed, what is the reasoning that Law Abiding cirizens are the only ones who jump through the unconstiitutional hoops? We ALL know that Criminals do not and do what they want.

Do we just give up now? I just talked to my State representative who said he had no idea this was the law? We need to open eyes and change the laws to favor law abiding citizens, not impead our rights based on permission slips, our rights are not for sale? Wake up, and stand up!

You act as though OFCC, BFA, and the other grassroots organizations haven't been trying, for over a decade now.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:28 pm
Brian D. wrote:
WVRiflemannOH wrote:

You act as though OFCC, BFA, and the other grassroots organizations haven't been trying, for over a decade now.

Really? I've been in Ohio since the mid 80's and Haven't heard of many attempts. Kasich has said he will sign any pro- gun legislation that crosses his desk, we are missing an opportunity. The BFA is blowing off what the Ohio Gun Owners Org is trying to do and they just got 25 sponsors for Rep Hoods bill for next week, where is BFA?!

They actually wrote an untrue article about them. WTH is that about?

We should be helping one another, not acting like Jackasses!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 am
If you've been here since the 80's and haven't heard of many attempts, you haven't been paying attention. OFCC has been working to improve gun laws and restore our rights constantly since OFCC was formed in 1999 and so has BFA ever since they split off from OFCC.

Every legislative session both groups work with our legislators to help put together bills that they feel can get passed through both the Ohio house and senate.

Every legislative session both groups send members to the state house to advocate for pro-gun legislation and fight against the anti-gunners who are trying to further their anti-rights agenda.

And both groups have successes they can point to.

So, I'd ask, where were you during the 5 years from 1999 to 2004 that OFCC fought for and finally got concealed carry passed in Ohio? Where were you when OFCC, and then BFA once it split off from OFCC, helped get rid of the poison pills in the original concealed carry legislation in each legislative session since then? And, frankly, where were you last month when OFCC sent several teams of members to the state house and talked to well over 50 senators and representatives to promote legislation to repeal mandatory notification, correct the issues with the sausage-grinder output from the last session that was SB 199, and promote improvements to Castle Doctrine and lobby for removal of duty to retreat AKA SYG?

You see, the issue isn't Kasich. The issue is getting legislation through the house and senate, something OFCC and BFA have shown they are able to do. So you have to ask yourself, why didn't Ohio Gun Owners Org join with OFCC or BFA? I submit that it is exactly because BFA's article is dead accurate. They are not a pro-gun political lobbying organization here in Ohio, they are a fund raising group that uses red meat of SYG and Constitutional Carry to whip up sentiment and make money. They are the ones who chose not to work with existing groups who actually have a successful track record and who chose to ignore attempts from those groups to help produce legislation that can pass the house and senate - unlike the flawed, and failed, so-called constitutional carry bill that has been dusted off and introduced yet again, and unlike the SYG legislation they are touting that doesn't even appear to exist - try getting them to let you actually see the bill. For crying out loud, the only reason the have the so-called constitutional carry bill they do is because it existed *before* they suddenly appeared on the scene and started fund raising!

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 am
I agree that a LOT has been accomplished in Ohio. Growing up there was no way at all for an Ohio resident to get a CCW of any kind. The first CCW law was a bit sketchy but it has only gotten better and better over the years since it first passed.

Prior to the CCW law one could toss caution to the wind and carry under the "prudent man" affirmative defense...but that was subject to the whims of the Prosecutor and LEO.

One possible thing we could shoot for is a RETURN of the Prudent Man defense for handguns, it was removed when CCW passed, if it was returned it would give the Jury a way to exonerate persons who committed some minor infraction of the law. The Prudent Man affirmative defense still exists for loaded long guns in a vehicle.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 am
It is all about resources. ConCarry currently has no path to the governor's desk. Every session for years this bill has been introduced so someone can fundraise on it. The ones introducing the bill know that it's the one purpose, but it generates $$ for them. The anti-gun side does the same thing, look at assault weapons ban bills and toy gun bills etc. None of these bills have ever made it out of committee much less to the full floor. Last session, we couldn't even get the Senate to consider dropping training to 4 hours much less 0.

They do serve the additional purpose of getting people to understand and to get them moving in that direction. Especially if people are meeting with and discussing it with their Reps and Senators directly. Employee parking lot carry was like this a decade ago also when first introduced. Now finally we have something that resembles a start on parking lot carry a law.

Regarding other groups, do your own home work and make your own mind up.

JLE

WVRiflemannOH wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
WVRiflemannOH wrote:

Really? I've been in Ohio since the mid 80's and Haven't heard of many attempts. Kasich has said he will sign any pro- gun legislation that crosses his desk, we are missing an opportunity. The BFA is blowing off what the Ohio Gun Owners Org is trying to do and they just got 25 sponsors for Rep Hoods bill for next week, where is BFA?!

They actually wrote an untrue article about them. WTH is that about?

We should be helping one another, not acting like Jackasses!

Region Leader
Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm
I never said anything wasn't done. I said not many for the 20 years you speak of that is very minimal.

I do not know OGO that well but have been talking to their founder Chris Corr directly and claims what BFA wrote about them was not true. They are not related to NAGR like BFA claims. They are pretty new it sounds, not sure they were even around 20 years ago to this sick game that we have to fight to get our RIGHTS back.

Again, I see you attacking another gun org to to help get our rights back instead of pushing for it. What is that about? I see and hear excuses why it can't be done not, how I can help pass it.

We need to fix our right to carry in anyway, shape or form anywhere just like the criminals do. And we are spending more time fighting each other than the politicians who are fighting against our rights. Why is that?

Like I said before, many Ohio politicians are not even aware of the rights we do not have because of Ohio oppressive laws. They need to be educated in them and spread the word instead of trashing each other. I'll never understand that.

Right now, I just told you that Hood's bill has 25 sponsors and y'all just blow that off, why? OFCC or BFA or the NRA didn't introduce it? WHAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE? Support your brothers and do what you can to help in you're expertise to help get it PASSED.

BTW, what is the difference in NAGR and the NRA? NAGR claims they will not compromise on our rights, the NRA has many times including the original 1993 Brady Bill.That mandated unconstitutional Background checks.

Ask yourself who you really should be supporting more.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 pm
Quote:
In other words, when you put a heavy jacket of coat on it is now concealed.

That's what the Warden told me. When I hunt with a long gun I carry the .45Blackhawk under the coat, when I hunt with the Blackhawk I carry it outside the coat and slip an LCP into my pocket.

It ain't a perfect situation but it's the only one we got.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
 Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next