Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Real Constitutional Carry Proposed in Iowa
Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 am
This is what we need in Ohio: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/ ... 87&ba=SJR2.

Twenty-nine Iowa senators are sponsoring Senate Joint Resolution 2 (SJR2) to amend the state’s constitution by adding explicit protections for Second Amendment rights, thereby blocking common gun controls. It is being pushed by the Iowa Firearms Coalition. This would end all of the onerous regulations and ridiculous legislative efforts that do little more than provide lip service, and it would protect our rights from future legislators who may not want us to be free.

The text of the amendment is as follows:

“The right of an individual to acquire, keep, possess, transport, carry, transfer, and use arms to defend life and liberty and for all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and shall not be infringed upon or denied. Mandatory licensing, registration, or special taxation as a condition of the exercise of this right is prohibited, and any other restriction shall be subject to strict scrutiny.”

I would also define strict scrutiny within the text because its meaning would be the next thing that would be targeted for redefining. So instead of "any other restriction shall be subject to strict scrutiny” I would put "any other restriction must be narrowly tailored to compelling governmental interests.”

We could accomplish this if BFA and OFCC spoke for us and told the legislators that they get absolutely no support unless they do this. Also, they have the organizational structure to get this on the ballot for the people to vote on it thereby bypassing the legislature. They could explain that it really does not change the law. It just details the meaning of the Ohio Constitution that has been in place for hundreds of years in such a way to make it difficult for lawmakers who do not like the Constitution to make laws that violate it.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.
Post subject: Re: Real Constitutional Carry Proposed in Iowa
Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 am
I like the way it reads. Doubtful we could get OFCC and BFA to hold hands together long enough to get something like this done though.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]