Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author
Post subject: Re: Finally, BFA Getting on Board of Constitutional Carry
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:42 am
AlanM wrote:
I'd like to point out that in 2004 concealed carry in Ohio was passed by the OGA overriding a veto by the governor.
And the objections of the same LEO leaders that even today want to personally maintain control.

I don't think that is accurate. From the sources I have read, Governor Taft signed Ohio's concealed carry legislation on January 8, 2004. http://www.frostbrowntodd.com/resources-875.html

The only veto override in recent memory was led by then-Speaker of the House Jon Husted in 2008 to override Governor Taft's veto of House Bill 347, giving us ORC 9.68 firearm law preemption. That was the first override in over 15 years, and here hasn't been one since.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 am
kwc wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Whether or not Michigan beats us or not doesn't mean a thing (they had concealed carry before us, so whatever...) The problem is this bill is *dead* in Ohio. Gov. Kasich has said he will veto it.

Is there any open source reporting of Gov Kasich's objection to Constitutional Carry (which, for the record, I prefer to call "Permitless Carry")? Or was this gleaned from off-the-record personal communication with the Governor? Did he offer a rationale for his position?

Thanks!

Agreed on "Permitless" or, in Ohio perhaps more appropriately, "Unlicensed Carry", as this bill is certainly not "Constitutional Carry".

I am not aware of any public record of his comment to that effect. I have, however, been told this personally by two different pro-gun Ohio politicians during my most recent trip to Columbus to advocate for pro-gun legislation. My understanding is that they were told this in meetings where they pressed for one of the various iterations of this bill.

As to the reason, I was not given one. I suspect it is in part because he is beholden to the various LEAs in the state and derives much of what power he has left from them and other organizations similarly opposed to this bill. Add to that his obvious national political aspirations and I imagine he thinks that any controversial legislation enacted under his administration would be a hindrance to those desires (and yes, that likely also means removal of the duty to retreat, AKA Stand Your Ground, is unlikely to happen while he is Governor).

The current political atmosphere in Columbus is that the Republican caucus in both the House and Senate follow the precept - expressed to me directly by almost every one I spoke to while there - that "we do what party leadership tells us to do, and they do not want to put any legislation in front of the Governor that he won't sign".

Don't misunderstand - I'm not telling you that you shouldn't support this bill, or that you shouldn't call, email, text, write, and otherwise harass your State Senators and Representatives about this bill. I'm just trying to help you understand the reality if the situation here in Ohio.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 am
My error! Caused by my old, leaky, memory.
Yes, it was 9.68 that got the veto override.
My bad.
I'll crawl back under my rock now.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am
AlanM wrote:
I'd like to point out that in 2004 concealed carry in Ohio was passed by the OGA overriding a veto by the governor.
And the objections of the same LEO leaders that even today want to personally maintain control.

Exactly.

Now, my question is why so many so called pro 2nd Amendment advocates keep saying and giving up, this is not a good time to even try? There is never a good time to try if yo go by those standards. Someone is always against our 2nd Amendment rights from either party in some form.

We lost a right, by God we should be fighting ALL the time, anywhere in restoring those rights. We do not need permission to protect our lives in any form, anywhere at anytime. Criminals do not as we just saw now at a ball game VA.

Rand Paul just said if it wasn't for the "Armed" Security for Rep Steve Scalise. it would have been a massacre because NO ONE ELSE WAS ARMED.

Why do we need a Written and PAID permission to carry anywhere. It is unconstitutional to ask the very government for that paid or an unpaid permission slip.

The Police State Democrats are not in charge anywhere except the inner cities and they are still winning the agendas in most areas across the country.

Everyone needs to call and or write your reps and get this thing moved. Because we know every election is critical and we know there will not be gun friendly reps in charge and that will never be a good time to protect or recapture our rights.

DO IT NOW!

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:11 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
kwc wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

I am not aware of any public record of his comment to that effect. I have, however, been told this personally by two different pro-gun Ohio politicians during my most recent trip to Columbus to advocate for pro-gun legislation. My understanding is that they were told this in meetings where they pressed for one of the various iterations of this bill.

Thank you very much for your explanation of the current political climate on this and related issues.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm
WVRiflemannOH wrote:
AlanM wrote:

Exactly.

Now, my question is why so many so called pro 2nd Amendment advocates keep saying and giving up, this is not a good time to even try? There is never a good time to try if yo go by those standards. Someone is always against our 2nd Amendment rights from either party in some form.

We lost a right, by God we should be fighting ALL the time, anywhere in restoring those rights. We do not need permission to protect our lives in any form, anywhere at anytime. Criminals do not as we just saw now at a ball game VA.

Rand Paul just said if it wasn't for the "Armed" Security for Rep Steve Scalise. it would have been a massacre because NO ONE ELSE WAS ARMED.

Why do we need a Written and PAID permission to carry anywhere. It is unconstitutional to ask the very government for that paid or an unpaid permission slip.

The Police State Democrats are not in charge anywhere except the inner cities and they are still winning the agendas in most areas across the country.

Everyone needs to call and or write your reps and get this thing moved. Because we know every election is critical and we know there will not be gun friendly reps in charge and that will never be a good time to protect or recapture our rights.

DO IT NOW!

A: Alan was wrong. Even if he was right, the political situation is quite different today.

B: Feel free to continue to tilt at that particular windmill. I and others will continue to push for the changes we feel can get accomplished given the current political realities. At the end of the legislative session, we can compare notes and see who has moved the ball farther. If I'm wrong and the perennial fund raisers - I mean "gun rights group" - can get this to move and become law in Ohio in the current political situation, I'll be ecstatic. In fact, I'll go so far as to offer to treat you to a meal at your choice of restaurant if you'll match my offer and treat me if it doesn't.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:25 pm
kwc wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Whether or not Michigan beats us or not doesn't mean a thing (they had concealed carry before us, so whatever...) The problem is this bill is *dead* in Ohio. Gov. Kasich has said he will veto it.

Is there any open source reporting of Gov Kasich's objection to Constitutional Carry (which, for the record, I prefer to call "Permitless Carry")? Or was this gleaned from off-the-record personal communication with the Governor? Did he offer a rationale for his position?

Thanks!

I don't think so. It's all third party from others in congress and they state they don't have enough to override it so they rather it just email a bill and go no further.
 Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2