Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Will someone please explain BFF vs BFA?
Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:37 am
I understand that contributions to the foundation are tax deductible. What I would like to know is what specifically does money given to BFA pay for, and what does money given to BFF pay for?

Thanks,
cityboy

Victory is mine!
Armchair Elitist and Master of All That is Tacticool.
Post subject: Re: Will someone please explain BFF vs BFA?
Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:20 pm
BFA is a political action committee. We can do all of the political stuff such as legislation, donate to candidates, do endorsement, etc with the association. So much of the money donated to BFA will go towards expenses of getting legislation passed and getting pro gun candidates elected. BFA would be somewhat the eqivilent to the NRA-ILA or NRA-PFV.

BFF is a 501(c)3 not for profit organization. It falls under the "education" heading. The donations collected there can be used for filing lawsuits, such as the Cleveland case, can be donated to other groups such as the Wisconsin groups lawsuit against Madison, for filing the amicus briefs that we did for the Heller and McDonald cases, etc.

We can sell stuff under BFF as we can't under BFA. We can not file lawsuits under BFA. So essentially, if you look at BFA as being everything political and legislation, and BFF as being educational, and lawsuits, that's the easiest way to tell them apart.

Whenever we do an event, whether it's a shooting event or such as the Grossman event, first we have to determine where do we feel the greater need for funds will be at the time and what is the best use of the money, before deciding if it will be a PAC event or a foundation event, as the two shall never cross or intermingle. If it weren't for the IRS being very specific as to what tax label you fall under, it would be some much easier. Peruse the NRA's website sometime and look at just how many different organizations they have to have, just to be able to function under the guildelines of the tax law. There's NRA, NRA-ILA, NRA-PVF, NRA Foundation, NRA Defense Fund, FONRA and so on.

2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor
Region Leader
Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:05 pm
Thanks for the info!

Let's know what we're talking about here, ideas have consequences.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 am
Linda did a great job explaining this, but I just want to add one more thing.

The Association (PAC) where we are able to influence elections and legislation is severely restricted in where the funding can come from. All donations to the PAC must come from individuals or other PACs/Campaigns. Election law does not allow any business or corporate donations to fund the PAC. There are also strict limits on the amounts any one person can donate to the PAC. This makes fund raising much harder for the part where we do the most work and where most Ohioans see the most direct results.

The Foundation (501c3) is not restricted in where it can accept donation from and as long as we continue to only use the donations for the specific education and litigation purposes, the donors may be able to claim the donation as a charitable contribution (consult your tax adviser etc etc). This allows businesses to donate money and goods (gun/ammo/training etc), but we are not able to use those dollars to influence elections or legislation. So the catch-22 works in the opposite direction. We have a much wider source of funding, but have very strict limits on what the dollars can be used for.

Regardless of where you choose to donate, both organizations are 100% volunteer run so you know 100% of your dollars are going to fight for our rights. If fact, the Ohio SOS requires us to report every dollar that we spend so there is 100% transparency. See the links to 'PAC FAQ' and 'Financial Reports' at the bottom of every page on the website.

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 am
JEaton wrote:
Linda did a great job explaining this, but I just want to add one more thing.

The Association (PAC) where we are able to influence elections and legislation is severely restricted in where the funding can come from. All donations to the PAC must come from individuals or other PACs/Campaigns. Election law does not allow any business or corporate donations to fund the PAC. There are also strict limits on the amounts any one person can donate to the PAC. This makes fund raising much harder for the part where we do the most work and where most Ohioans see the most direct results...

JLE
I'm not saying your wrong, but I believe Citizens United v Federal Election Commission, 558 U.S. 50 (2010) could challenge that interpretation.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:37 am
So, is BFF a "...BFF is a 503(c)3 not for profit organization..." or a "...The Foundation (501c3) is not restricted..."?

_Don_
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:50 pm
Thanks very much for the BFA/BFF distinction. As a donor with limited resources, how do I ensure that my dollars are going to the place of greatest need (BFF or BFA)?

Thanks,
cityboy

Victory is mine!
Armchair Elitist and Master of All That is Tacticool.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 pm
DonWorsham wrote:
So, is BFF a "...BFF is a 503(c)3 not for profit organization..." or a "...The Foundation (501c3) is not restricted..."?

Don,
Buckeye Firearms Foundation is a 501c3 (I think Linda just mis-typed) and is not restricted to non-business donations like the PAC is. The foundation is still restricted from using the donation to influence elections or legislation if we want to keep the charitable organization status.

cityboy wrote:
As a donor with limited resources, how do I ensure that my dollars are going to the place of greatest need (BFF or BFA)?

Cityboy,
Really doesn't matter and one is not better then the other. Donate to one or do half to each what ever you are comfortable with, both work toward the same goal just from different sides.

Also remember, a couple of hours working on an endorsed candidates campaign in the next couple of weeks means more to them then any amount of money I will ever be able to donate. Show up to knock on doors, work the phones or anything else they need, just tell them Buckeye sent you! That is where the real power lies. After the election, get with our Gun Show team and work a shift or two at a gun show near you. We always need fresh blood to keep from wearing out current volunteers.

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:24 pm
color of law wrote:
I'm not saying your wrong, but I believe Citizens United v Federal Election Commission, 558 U.S. 50 (2010) could challenge that interpretation.

That could be, but I think the charitable organization status would have to go. If the foundation was setup as a 501c4 not a 501c3 you are probably dead on correct. Greater minds then me will have to dig through the details on that one.

JLE

Region Leader
Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:05 am
Yes, I mistyped and have corrected to 501(c)3. My brain had vapor lock which happens the more I age!

2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor
Region Leader
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]