Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:19 pm
I'm gonna take the new AR to the range and I need a refresher on transport of AR. If I remember correctly I can not have loaded AR mags in the vehicle while transporting AR, but what about having loaded AR mags in the bed of pick up truck? My guess is that is still a no no and I will have to load mags at the range and unload before coming home. If that is the case its STUPID!!!

Post subject: Re: Transporting AR
Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 pm
No loaded mags for the AR while the AR is in the vehicle.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 pm
Stipper clips for the mags yes. Spoon on the mag if you want, stripper clip in the spoon, its all good. Shove a single round in the mag and have the AR in the truck as well and that is a no good. Ohio, don't ya love it..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
OFCC Patron
BFA supporter
Life Member NRA
Psalms 35
Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:24 pm
Im not a lawyer, but I thought if you had loaded magazines locked in one compartment and the rifle locked in a separate case you where within the law? I also was under the impression that a truck bed was outside the vehicle?
-aaron
Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 am
Nope, the loaded mag exception is for pistols only. It doesn't apply to any type of long gun. You could even be looking at some trouble if you are carrying loaded mags for your sidearm, and those same mags will fit a pistol caliber carbine as well. I've thought about it, and asked questions since I have a Ruger PC4 carbine and P94 pistol combo that I like taking to the range.

To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 am
OCCI wrote:
Im not a lawyer, but I thought if you had loaded magazines locked in one compartment and the rifle locked in a separate case you where within the law? I also was under the impression that a truck bed was outside the vehicle?
-aaron

You would be correct if this was the first half of 2008 or earlier. As memory serves that's when the legislature got around to defining a "loaded" firearm for the purpose of transportation. I could be off on the timetable but not the gist of the new definition.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 am
Is a four wheeler considered a motor vehicle. I'm assuming yes especially since I have a sticker to drive it on the road. To the point if this is the case that means if I were a hunter I could not take my four wheeler back to the woods with my evil semi automatic assault style hunting rifle with a loaded mag. WHICH IS DUMB. So I guess to go hunting you would have to load your mag in the woods.

Ohio has some flakey laws!

The more I think about my it I get frustrated.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 am
Also you have to consider barrel length,and or folding stocks if the ar has a barrel less than 16" long, or overall length is under 24" it must be transported differently than if it is 18 or more inches long and 24" or more long overall.

Under federal law the 26" minimum overall length is with a folding or collapsing stock extended.

(
Quote:
C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]