Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:33 pm
I have been curious about ARs for awhile now and soon I will have the money to buy one. In your expert opinions what kind of AR should I get? What kinds (brands) are there. I'm not looking for the best or the cheapest. Really I am looking for a starter rifle. Also, I am not building it right off the bat. Thanks.
Post subject: Re: Interested in an Ar-15
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:09 pm
well, the good news is that there is a huge variety to choose from... the bad news is, ..you'll have to whittle it down to the right one!

... i'd recommend getting one w/ a 5.56 NATO chamber (so you can shoot either 5.56 or .223), ..and chrome lined barrel... i also like a mid-length gas system... there are a bunch of great manufactures make a good base AR... i'll throw out a few, ..maybe some others will chime in too..

- del-ton,
- doublestar (made in KY)
- rock river

...you might want to check aimsurplus, sometimes they have good deals on base-level ARs, ... and they are an Ohio-based distributor.. ;)

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:28 am
Sammy7s7 wrote:
I have been curious about ARs for awhile now and soon I will have the money to buy one. In your expert opinions what kind of AR should I get? What kinds (brands) are there. I'm not looking for the best or the cheapest. Really I am looking for a starter rifle. Also, I am not building it right off the bat. Thanks.

Lots of very good rifles out there, what are you going to do with it? Weekend plinking, or running some rifle classes, SHTF type stuff? Here are some good mil spec brands, BCM, Daniels Defense, Colt, Larue, Noveske, LMT, Knights Armament, and Centurian. These are all hard use rifles that will stand up to some abuse. These all meet or excede mil spec. Here are some links for a chart that is being used to compare apples to apples.
Discription of the spreadsheet here.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html

And the chart that shows current standards by MFG.
Thread for the chart - http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739

This chart has been used in several magazine articals and is only meant to show you the consumer a real comparisan.

Palmetto State Armory has pretty nice rifles as well, at great prices if your not looking for a hard use rifle.

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:54 pm
Ranger - Great comprehensive info in those charts! Thanks!

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 pm
WileyCoyote wrote:
... i'd recommend getting one w/ a 5.56 NATO chamber (so you can shoot either 5.56 or .223),
;)

What if you have a .223, does that mean you cant shoot 5.56 Nato?? I thought they were one in the same?? Sorta like 9mm nato and 9MM luger. Or am I wrong on that as well??

The Second Amendment

George Washington and the Continental Army didnt use there freedom of speech to defeat the British............................... They shot them.
Beretta 96 Stainless .40
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:27 pm
The barrel pressure tolerances are different. 5.56 is rated higher than .223.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:10 am
Viking wrote:
Ranger - Great comprehensive info in those charts! Thanks!

Viking yes those charts are very good! It shows what yo get for your money. Rob S at M4C and a few others did it for comparison only, for the guy that says "I want a black rifle what should I buy".

That is this years 2011 chart and is updated every year after shot show. It has been in many gun rags and has had an effect on the MFG's. The 2010 chart compared to the 2011 chart showed some MFG's doing better on their builds, others that were sub par and looked bad opted to not forward their info. IMHO it says alot when a company chooses to not respond because they lost the perception of quality due to their build philosophy.

I'll update with links when the new 2012 chart comes out.

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:48 pm
NMorgan wrote:
WileyCoyote wrote:
... i'd recommend getting one w/ a 5.56 NATO chamber (so you can shoot either 5.56 or .223),
;)

What if you have a .223, does that mean you cant shoot 5.56 Nato?? I thought they were one in the same?? Sorta like 9mm nato and 9MM luger. Or am I wrong on that as well??

Same rule applies to 7.62 Nato and .308 Winchester

Jr.....Out

WWJMBD
USN Veteran
COTEP CBOB0406
The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved
Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:36 pm
jrohio wrote:
NMorgan wrote:
WileyCoyote wrote:
;)

Same rule applies to 7.62 Nato and .308 Winchester

A rifle chambered in 5.56 can also shoot .223 but not the other way around.

While it might function the other way around, you would be exceeding the spec'ed pressures of the firearm and running the risk of making an expensive grenade and parting ways with a finger or eye.

ETA: 9mm NATO is actually spec'ed to a slightly higher pressure than 9mm Luger although lower than +P.

*removed incorrect info

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Last edited by ThawMyTongue on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:25 pm
ThawMyTongue wrote:

A rifle chambered in .308 can also shoot 7.62x51 but not the other way around.

While it might function the other way around, you would be exceeding the spec'ed pressures of the firearm and running the risk of making an expensive grenade and parting ways with a finger or eye.

Wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!! take it from the 762x51 and 308 Grand Poohba

762x51 has way more head pressure than 308
you can shoot 308 outta a battle rifle chambered for 762x51 but i wouldn't shoot 762x51 outta a 308 chamber ... you get lucky a few times then it bit ya ...
762x51 brass is thicker and the the shoulder spacing is about .013 shorter than commercial 308 ...

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:03 pm
Rich 2.0 wrote:

you can shoot 308 outta a battle rifle chambered for 762x51 but i wouldn't shoot 762x51 outta a 308 chamber ... you get lucky a few times then it bit ya ...
762x51 brass is thicker and the the shoulder spacing is about .013 shorter than commercial 308 ...

:oops: Hmmm, I will bow to your knowledge as the Grand Poohba. I was going on what I have been told, but not first hand experience.

I will edit my post to remove misinformation.

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:10 pm
ThawMyTongue wrote:
Rich 2.0 wrote:

:oops: Hmmm, I will bow to your knowledge as the Grand Poohba. I was going on what I have been told, but not first hand experience.

I will edit my post to remove misinformation.

ahhhh its all good ....... we still love ya

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]