Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: What does AR stand for in AR15?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm
Ive seen alot of newspapers recently refer to an AR as an Assault Rifle, as I had for many years as well. Recently I was educated that AR stands for Armalite which is the original creator & manufacturer of that style of rifle. Ive never really liked the term Assault Rifle, and had always refered to the rifle as either a Black Rifle or the name of what it was, like Mosin Nagant or SKS, etc. Rifles dont assault people, neither do forks, pencils, or prison made shanks, remember there is always an a** in assault.
Post subject: Re: What does AR stand for in AR15?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
armalite rifle...

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:56 pm
Yup, it's Armalite Rifle. They are the original manufacturer of the AR-15. The term is now trademarked by Colt when Armalite sold it to them. I'm guessing somewhere along the way Colt decided not to renew the trademark and that's how everyone uses it now.

My belief is it became an "Assault" rifle around the 1986 ban and then became mainstream media Assault for sure at the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:24 pm
If anyone tries to tell you the AR in AR-15, AR-10, AR-180, etc stands for assault rifle tell them to google AR-24 and get back to you...

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:35 am
Enjoyed reading your explanation on the AR, I knew the naming nomenclature but it was great to read it in detail. I've disassembled my machine many times and marvel at the detail of it's design and manufacture. That is kinda of my nature, love to see how mechanical things are made... One machine that I haven't heard mentioned is the lowly air rifle, I have one and have hunted with it many times with eating results. What do you think of this type of Weapon?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:56 am
Gilbert:

Welcome Aboard!

I see that some of the guys have answered the "AR" question, and likely somebody will help with the air rifles - there's a thread here, or over on OFCC about hunting (very) small game with them. BTW, the Lewis & Clark expedition had at least one of them along - it's fairly easy to make lead (or whatever) balls, but making powder was a bit trickier. I understand it worked quite well.

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory. Might be sleep inducing, though.

Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 am
As mentioned AR stands for Armalite, The original mfg.

I THINK The term assault rifle originated with the German Sturmgewehr 44 (StG44)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44
In German it means Storm Rifle, But I guess in English it translate to Assault

It was a select fire weapon single/auto.
They label the AR15 as an "assault rifle" even if it's a semi auto variant.

Of course labels are powerful right? we all know that's why they label everything they want to ban as "assault", they even call things assault clips and assault pistols these days to demonize things in the public mind to make passing a ban easier.

About air rifles, I never had anything all that powerful my self, all the ones I had was in .177, But they make 22 and I think even larger air rifles and I know at least some of the 22's can actually reach in to powder arms territory.
I think they're pretty expensive though I know airguns can go up into the 1k's.

My stuff was always off the shelf crossman & daisy.. the really good stuff you won't find in a department store.

I read somewhere that (I think it was the french) had a air rifle division.
back in the day when everyone was using muzzle loaders the guys with the airrifles was BAMF's
With a fire rate 10x that of those with muzzle loaders, and with the added bonus no smoke generated.. old black powder produces a lot of smoke.

I don't what particular air guns they used or how powerful they was but apparently enough to kill.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:48 pm
If it's not clear all ready.... but Armalite Rifle
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]