Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:02 pm
Gents, I recently picked up an upper and snagged one of the below mentioned rear flip-ups until I mount something a little more robust on the rail. I will probably mount some sort of red-dot of holographic optic - probably something like an EOtech until the day I can afford an ACOG ... :egrin:

TUFF ZONE AR-15 Rear Flip Up Sight

http://www.tuffzone.com/Flip-Up-Rear-Sight_p_173.html

Any one heard of/used/experience with this brand? My concern is you get what you pay for :? Looks like they are made (or imported) in MI ... I'm probably going to upgrade to a YHM, daniel defense or magpul BUIS. Couldn't find much via google search.

Thanks,

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post subject: Re: TUFF ZONE Flip-up sights?
Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:53 pm
I have not seen or used them before, but the price sure is right! I like my Troy BUIS alot. The MagPul sights are plastic so I'm not a fan of those. I think you will be okay with those for a bit.

I run an EoTech and I'm very pleased with it, Aimpoints are nice also. I like a true zero power optic on an AR. They will get you out to a couple hundred yards for minute of bad guy hits. Personally if I want a magnified optic I'd look other places then the ACOG, and have a more a more versatile rifle.

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:24 pm
The AR I am building is for 2 gun so no more than 50yrds generally (where I shoot). Truthfully, I am much more of a handgun - iron sights guy. The last time I did any serious rifle course of fire training was active duty, 5 yrs ago ...

Aimpoints are a little too rich for me (at this point)--- I think I'm going to start out with a Truglo or Burris to see if I like red dots or not. Mainly, I want to co-witness my front iron sight. I know the concept of an optics system that cost more than the rifle is no big deal for any serious rifleman --- but I haven't got to that point yet ...

US NAVY VETERAN

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 pm
I don't have anything to say about the Tuff Zone sights. But you were talking about picking up an inexpensive optic to co-witness. I love my Vortex SPARC and Primary Arms has some very nice optics on the lower end of the cost scale.

I'm just waiting like you til I can drop the coin on a x1.5 ACOG w/the green "donut of death" reticle. :mrgreen:

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 pm
For less then 50 yards I'd look at some type of red dot sight with no magnification. I think you will be pleasantly suprised how fast a sight picture you get, the inherent accuracy of the AR will do the rest for ya.

If you ever get to the Chillicothe area your more then welcome to run mine and see how you like the red dot type sight.

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 pm
don't know anything about that brand, ...but am curious to see how it turns out for ya... i have YHM rear BUIS on mine, but they only have windage adjustment, ...have manipulate the front sight post adjustment for elevation...

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:23 am
We lack something to express concerning the Tuff Area points of interest. And you were being speaking about obtaining an economical optic for you to co-witness. I like my Vortex SPARC and Principal Biceps and triceps has some comfortable optics around the budget of the cost degree.

I'm just hanging around like you until I will decline the actual gold coin using a x1. 5 ACOG w/the environmentally friendly "donut of death" reticle.

NoorAlamShahzad
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 am
Rats....

That one looked OK....

Zapped....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am
As a fixed rear back-up goes, the DD is hard to beat. It's light, it's tough, it'll zero properly with a properly matched (from any company) front.

It and others like - items from Troy, LMT, etc. - are pretty much either all in the same ballpark or (like the LMT), not insignificantly more.

It's undeniable that the Tuff-Zone folding rear is priced right...but if it doesn't zero well, that's going to be a major pain in the neck. Buy once, cry once, right?

Now, the problem is whether you'll want a folding rear. The fixed rears are super-easy to use, and, at least personally for me, very easy to "blow through" visually given the threat-focus nature of a RDS. Nevertheless, it's personal preference how uncluttered you'd prefer that rear view, so it may well serve you to invest in a folding rear.

Should you do so, I'd also recommend that you look at just how low that rear will fold as well as the footprint of the rear, to insure future-compatibility if you should upgrade your optics to one that either has a larger eyepiece diameter or has eye-relief concerns.

-Allen
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:00 pm
JosephKL08 wrote:
We lack something to express concerning the Tuff Area points of interest. And you were being speaking about obtaining an economical optic for you to co-witness. I like my Vortex SPARC and Principal Biceps and triceps has some comfortable optics around the budget of the cost degree.

I'm just hanging around like you until I will decline the actual gold coin using a x1. 5 ACOG w/the environmentally friendly "donut of death" reticle.

Shamma lamma ding dong, Joe. Stu, where do they all come from, geez?

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:02 pm
Brian:

We get about 10 "new members" a day, and most are bogus....

Usually the name gives it away (the form that Joseph used is often used - a valid first name, followed by gibberish). Sometimes and e-mail address that's in Russia, to :D....

Some other tests are available, too. This guy just passed everything.

We can't use the IP address with a lot of confidence. Our new host assigns IP addresses inside their system, and what you see is generally unrelated to reality unless they manage to pick an IP that somebody else reported, usually for some other user entirely.

So, we try....

(And blame Rich :D.)

Regards,

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:23 pm
I know this is a "necro-topic," but since I started it, I guess I owe the final report/disposition of the "Tuff Zone" Sight.

Short answer --- the sight battle zeroed-out fine and was plenty accurate at 50-100yrds. I did however have one minor quibble with it - it wouldn't lay flat against the charging handle with the large (CQB) aperture peep engaged ... in order to get it to lay flat you had to keep it in the small aperture configuration ... not where I'd want my default sighting arrangement if my red-dot failed in a CQB.

I ended up replacing it with the Mag-pul BUIS about a year ago, as more of a general upgrade. But it worked fine for the initial 2 years I had it. Over all a pretty good value.

US NAVY VETERAN

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:25 pm
Viking:

Sorry this thread jumped the rails, and thanks for the followup!

I'm still sitting here trying to figure out why you can get snubbies with adjustable sights. Makes sense on a long gun (although the dual-purpose setup is a good idea), and on a target handgun, but on a belly gun? :D

Regards,

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:50 pm
Man, I didn't even notice the date of the OP! :oops:

-Allen
 Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]