Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: I drank the koolaide....I now have an AR15
Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 pm
I figured with the way the political climate is going I should get one before someone tries to tell me I can no longer buy one.......

So I ended up getting a good deal on a Daniel Defense DDM4V1LW (16 inch carbine gas system, light weight with the extended rails, 1:7" twist).

Now.......
Suggestions for slings? I'm thinking 2 point b/c I do use my Appleseed training when I shoot.
Suggestions for soft cases? I don't want it too Gecko45 looking but I'd like it fairly compact and padded to protect the firearm.

I'm not going to get an optic for a while, just going to run irons till springish then probably an aimpoint or similar. I am going to keep this gun fairly simple as it will be my multipurpose AR until I take the time to build one but I wanted a well made dependable one to start. I don't see myself putting anything on it other than a sling, optic and maybe eventually a light but I consider my shotgun my primary "something going bump in the night" defense along with my pistol so perhaps not.
This is what she looks like (stock image)

"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article
Post subject: Re: I drank the koolaide....I now have an AR15
Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 pm
wow, that is a great rifle, congrats!

...i'm a fan of 2-point slings, ...i'd recommend the VTAC sling from viking tactics- it's versatile and should also be fine for appleseed... i'd also recommend buying a rail-mount sling swivel for the foreend attachment of the sling ;)

i have a condor M4 rifle case, and it's been just fine, comes w/ MOLLE pockets and internal pockets for additional storage..

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 am
I like two point slings. In particular the Vickars combat applications sling from Blue Force Gear. Great sling designed by Larry Vickars with a lifetime warranty.

Very nice AR BTW!

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 am
Hedgelj wrote:
I figured with the way the political climate is going I should get one before someone tries to tell me I can no longer buy one.......

So I ended up getting a good deal on a Daniel Defense DDM4V1LW (16 inch carbine gas system, light weight with the extended rails, 1:7" twist).

I've heard good things about Daniels, enjoy.

I'm a new owner (Sept) of an awful, scary black rifle for the same reasons. It's ashame they have a mind of their own :roll:

I went with the Rock River Operator. Among other things, I really like the two stage trigger.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:16 am
Looks good :) Now to find lots of (relatively) inexpensive ammo for it before that's all gone :surp:

I see one thing wrong with the AR's especially with the 30 round mags: one can sure go through a lot of ammo in a short time! :(

Like you, I recently got my first AR. I like it and it has gotten me to shooting my 10-22 a lot more. The .22 ammo is more affordable, LOL.

Ken

aka OhioPaints
Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 am
Come on in, the koolaode is delicious ...

Standing by for range repot ... :D

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 am
Nice pickup! Time to stock up on 5.56 before that goes through the roof too. I'm hoping to pick up a lower and start my first AR build to give the one I have some company.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:50 am
Congrats! :)

I recently picked up a DDM4V5LW to serve as my training-class "beater." My LMT is just a bit too front heavy, and I'm not that big up top. :oops:

Must do more gun-ups!!! :lol:

-Allen
Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 am
Congratz!
Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:37 am
Viking wrote:
Come on in, the koolaode is delicious ...

Standing by for range repot ... :D

Range report as requested.

I zero'd at 25 yards using the same AQT style targets as an Appleseed to help me with my clicks. I got it set up and then did a 10 round riflemans cadence string to see what sort of group I could hold. I was prone but do not have a sling yet so was just supported with my arm and realized I wanted one more click of elevation. Did another string of 5 shots with the same cadence. The entire 15 shot group can be covered with a quarter. In fact other than my first group of 4 shots the entire rest of the shooting was in the black of one of the Appleseed AQT targets. I used This target.

Then I backed the target up to 50 yards and 3 clicks of elevation later was zero'd there.

Next I backed up to 100 yards and after making a target large enough I could see I just shot a 10 shot string to see what I could do. 3 inch group about 1.5 inches high which is where I wanted it zero'd.

This was all done with some of the 55 grain .223 Federal AR223 bulk ammo. I'm happy with it and its minute of groundhog and I can dial it in more as needed.

"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article
Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 pm
Trying to figure out optics for this AR. My plan is a do everything basic carbine/SHTF/zombie apocalypse etc type of gun. I want to keep it pretty basic.
Options:
1.) Eotech: Pros - I already use the bushnell clones on my shotgun and muzzleloader so I'm very comfortable with them. I like the new reticule that has the ballistic compensation built in. Cons- battery life is good but not great.
2.) Aimpoint Red dot: Pros - Awesome battery life. Cons - have heard that people with goofy prescriptions (and I count for that) have issues with the dot sometimes.
3.) Trijicon TR24 (1-4x24): Pros - no batteries, either fiber optic or tritium. Cons - as expensive as either of the above optios WITH a magnifier, do I need 4x for what I want out of this upper? I have heard that its challenging to do hold overs with the triangle due to the lines underneath being so thick.

I will be building/purchasing another upper for longer range/precision shooting for varmints/coyotes/SPR/DMR type stuff.

I've also contemplated taking the bushnell clone off my muzzleloader and just putting it on my AR and then using the funds to put a nice scope on the muzzleloader but the one on my muzzleloader uses an odd sized battery that isn't always available easily so that kinda stinks.

Thoughts?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am
Hedgelj wrote:
Trying to figure out optics for this AR. My plan is a do everything basic carbine/SHTF/zombie apocalypse etc type of gun. I want to keep it pretty basic.
Options:
1.) Eotech: Pros - I already use the bushnell clones on my shotgun and muzzleloader so I'm very comfortable with them. I like the new reticule that has the ballistic compensation built in. Cons- battery life is good but not great.
2.) Aimpoint Red dot: Pros - Awesome battery life. Cons - have heard that people with goofy prescriptions (and I count for that) have issues with the dot sometimes.
3.) Trijicon TR24 (1-4x24): Pros - no batteries, either fiber optic or tritium. Cons - as expensive as either of the above optios WITH a magnifier, do I need 4x for what I want out of this upper? I have heard that its challenging to do hold overs with the triangle due to the lines underneath being so thick.

I will be building/purchasing another upper for longer range/precision shooting for varmints/coyotes/SPR/DMR type stuff.

I've also contemplated taking the bushnell clone off my muzzleloader and just putting it on my AR and then using the funds to put a nice scope on the muzzleloader but the one on my muzzleloader uses an odd sized battery that isn't always available easily so that kinda stinks.

Thoughts?

My vote would be for the ACOG, no battery to worry about, built like a tank. I want one personally, but have yet to have the spare cash on hand. Though since you have a front sight post you should put eyes on a setup like you want before buying since the 4x will still allow you to see a hazy outline of your FSP. Some people don't mind it, but some find it off putting.

I have had my eye on the TA26 since fondling it. It has a reticle similar to the EOTech and is 1.5x magnification so you can easily co-witness your irons. I WILL have it someday soon!

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/ ... %20x%2016S

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:39 pm
I too got one of evil black guns! Mine is a Core 15 M4 Scout. The only mods so far is a quad rail and a brass catcher. Haven't been able to get out to a range to shoot it yet but I like it so far. Bought some extra mags for it and a couple hundred rounds so I'll be ready to if it ever warms up bit. Never thought I would get one of these. A friend did give me nice 2.5-10X scope for it.

Ron
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]