Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Post subject: Re: Steel cased ammo... a little research
Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:45 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
zack991 wrote:
A case. (1,000rounds)
Of M855 will run you around 660 plus shipping 70cents per round.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... tal-jacket

Even non steel core rounds will cost you a pretty penny.
XM193 is running 547.00 a case at 55 cents a round.

Gold bear .223 is running 397 plus shipping. 40 cents per round. Prior to the panic buying I could get it for 30 cents and sometimes even less. As for being able to reload, you can reloaded them just fine, you have to modify the primer pocket. YouTube has video how to videos on it. I know I can find better price on this even lower but I am at work on a iPhone searching.

are those savings typical? even pre panic?
Because I don't stock any .223 so I don't know.

Also as far as reloading, primer pocket aside (actually I've seen some of them boxer primed)
But many will not for fear of extra wear or damage to dies.

Do you reload? do you reload Steel cases?

Yes I use a Dillion 550 press. I have helped a friend of mine reload steel and it is little more work, yet reloading is a fun hobbie for me and I don't mind the extra work. I have a bucket full of it right now and I just need to find the time to do it. I work and go to school full time which makes it tough to find time. Hardest party is finding the correct primers, you can modify it to work with out the correct primers but i would not advise it.

Hope this gives you a better idea of how it is done.
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013 ... case-ammo/

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

-Samuel Adams
Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:09 pm
One thing about the steel I guess is that you need to police it up pronto, stuff found laying around is usually rusty or so guys that reload some of the pistol steel brass tell me anyway. Some of the pistol steel cases are boxer primed.

Bill

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:17 pm
More and more of the newer steel rounds are not using the berdan primers anymore which is good news for reloaders. Well it is not really a issue for reloaders, PMC makes the berdan primers and you can set the tools to remove the old primer from RCBS.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

-Samuel Adams
Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 am
zack I know it can be done i've seen it on youtube
I keep saying a lot wont touch steel cases for reloading for fear of die damage or wear.
How has your dies held up to reloading steal cases?
and how may reloads do you get off one typically im curios.

willbird wrote:
One thing about the steel I guess is that you need to police it up pronto, stuff found laying around is usually rusty or so guys that reload some of the pistol steel brass tell me anyway. Some of the pistol steel cases are boxer primed.

Bill

Just goto any outdoor range I know the one up at deer creek is littered with rusty cases.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:49 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
I keep saying a lot wont touch steel cases for reloading for fear of die damage or wear.

willbird wrote:

Bill

Just goto any outdoor range I know the one up at deer creek is littered with rusty cases.

My dies are doing quite well, I do not see any extra wear on them due to reloading steel. As for how many? From what I have learned from other reloaders is that as long as you keep them properly maintain, your dies can usually outlast the person doing the reloading. Clean the brass well of all dirt & grit/sand, do not over tighten the threaded adjustments or using pliers instead of wrenches. The steel cases are softer then the steel that is used in our reloading dies(most are ANSI 4140 which is a tool steel ). It is really a non issue if a person does what it takes to care of their reloading equipment they should not be having any issues. Plus if you use Lee dies and "if" they wear out before two years they replace them for free.
http://leeprecision.com/satisfaction-guaranteed.html

-Samuel Adams
Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 am
lol I guess I wasn't clear I meant how many reloads do your steel cases usually last.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:49 pm
zack991 wrote:
Joe Sixpack wrote:

willbird wrote:

Bill

My dies are doing quite well, I do not see any extra wear on them due to reloading steel. As for how many? From what I have learned from other reloaders is that as long as you keep them properly maintain, your dies can usually outlast the person doing the reloading. Clean the brass well of all dirt & grit/sand, do not over tighten the threaded adjustments or using pliers instead of wrenches. The steel cases are softer then the steel that is used in our reloading dies(most are ANSI 4140 which is a tool steel ). It is really a non issue if a person does what it takes to care of their reloading equipment they should not be having any issues. Plus if you use Lee dies and "if" they wear out before two years they replace them for free.
http://leeprecision.com/satisfaction-guaranteed.html

Just a minor nit to pick :-)....4140 is chrome moly...more of a high strength steel not a tool steel. it has a nice balance of yield and ultimate tensile for a lot of uses....but when through hardened to the hardness most reloading dies seem to be (harder than a nicholson file on the surface) it gets pretty brittle. Most blued rifle actions and barrels are made of 4140, another attribute it has is that it hot blues up pretty nice, although some stuff like S&W cyl and barrels, and 1911 slides will take on a plum color a few years after bluing. Shilen used 4150 on some DGA actions bit changed to 4140 to get a better blue. the last two digits are carbon content 41xx, the 41 says it is a chrome moly.

I would expect many reloading dies to be case hardened 12L14 or 1018 steel...I know RCBS are case hardened something because I have altered the taper crimp dies to fit a STAR reloader, and once you got through the case hardening they machined nicely....that involved turning the upper portion of the die down then threading it 11/16-24.

Also a steel cartridge case needs to be quite hard to have a yield strength high enough to with stand chamber pressure, to be fair so does the "brass" case (in the head area), but it is work hardened in the forming process, and the neck and body portions are carefully selectively annealed. The russkies have bragged that their steel cases are actually much stronger than our "brass" ones.

But "brass" in the softer areas of the case has a tendency to pick up grit and embed it in the metal, and the grit is often harder than the die steel :-)...and will scratch it.

All of that said reloading dies should be fine with most steel cases.

Bill

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:07 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
lol I guess I wasn't clear I meant how many reloads do your steel cases usually last.
sorry reading on a small iPhone screen.
It depends, pistol caliber I have gotten similar reload amount as I do in brass, as for rifle cases I am lucky to get 3 reloads out of them. This can change a bit depending on the manufacture of the case and its quality. Biggest issue is cracking around the necking of the case.

-Samuel Adams
 Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3