Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 pm
Has anyone here bought one of those '80% lowers' and finished the machining themselves?

Would anyone be interested in having a '80% build party'? (I'm not a machinist nor do I have the tools, but I would like to see if there is any interest in this type of thing.)
Post subject: Re: 80% build
Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:24 pm
thud.
Well, I see that went over like a lead balloon. :lol:

I would have thought someone here had done this or was thinking of doing this. Or maybe some of you have done this and don't want to talk about it; which I can understand.

It is totally legal to do, but I fear that this is just the sort of thing that a petulant Obama would try to ban by executive order, or try to ban with new regulations from ATF or try to ban by some other legalistic B.S.
Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 pm
If you had said "I am a machinist and I have the tools", you might have had more results.

:D :esad:

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 pm
Yeah, no doubt.

I have heard that you don't even need a mill. A decent quality drill press, a proper bit and jig and presto...an AR-15 lower of your very own, off the books.
Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm
les nessman wrote:
Yeah, no doubt.

I have heard that you don't even need a mill. A decent quality drill press, a proper bit and jig and presto...an AR-15 lower of your very own, off the books.

Can't be sold, but why would you want to? :)

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 pm
only thing I wonder about is any one anodizing the lower after they finish it?

Anodizing is important.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:11 pm
These types of party are becoming very popular here in MD as the October 1st AWB nears and everyone is scrambling to fill the safe.

A guy on a MD forum has ordered a POLYMER 80% lower from this operation: http://polymer80.com/ and is going to report back. If favorable, I might have to get one for fun...

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:15 pm
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
les nessman wrote:
Yeah, no doubt.

Can't be sold, but why would you want to? :)

Actually it can be sold, as long as the intent when you mfg it was not to mfg it for sale.

Bill

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:08 pm
I have 5 on my wishlist at Tactical Machining. I should get them in August. I'm a tool maker and I have access to a CNC mill. I just want to tool up, maybe try some 30% or billet lowers eventually. Worth a try, just for the fun of it. I was at the gun show in Niles last Sunday, and they had build kits.
Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:57 pm
oldjeepguy wrote:
I have 5 on my wishlist at Tactical Machining. I should get them in August. I'm a tool maker and I have access to a CNC mill. I just want to tool up, maybe try some 30% or billet lowers eventually. Worth a try, just for the fun of it. I was at the gun show in Niles last Sunday, and they had build kits.

What do the build kits consist of and how much did they cost?
Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 pm
On the local 570 am radio station today, Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show had a caller ask about having a build party. Tom's response was (paraphrase) 'Well, I wouldn't do it, and anyway why would you want an unregistered gun; just go buy one and get a background check on yourself.'

This irritated me a little, because just a few minutes before this call Tom had said (paraphrase) 'You know, most of us gun owners have a Leave Us The Heck Alone outlook on government. But we can't afford to not be involved in politics or else the gov't will absolutely not leave us alone. It's not enough to just write your congressman; you have to get involved, donate, go to town hall meetings, etc...'

Well Tom, if you want us to stand up for our rights, then why won't you support something that is legal to do and supports legal gun ownership without the gov't knowing about it?

Yes, I know there are legit fears of the BATF and I have no desire to be a martyr myself, but....damn...hasn't the most recent IRS political attacks taught us anything? Should we live in fear of our own gov't agencies even though we're not doing anything illegal?

OK, I'm done ranting about this subject. :roll:
 Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]