Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: brand new ar faliure to extract.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 am
I bought a brand new sig sauer m400 and had this problem after 14 rounds. The shell didn't extract and the next round jammed it in the barrel. I had to take it home and push it out with a cleaning rod. It took some force too. This was brand new out of the box. I never cleaned it. When i got it home i cleaned it and it seemed really dirty for a new gun. I'm wondering if it was just dirty, or if i have extractor or chamber problems. Anyone ever deal with this?
Post subject: Re: brand new ar faliure to extract.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:14 pm
OhioGrown:

Did you say that you never cleaned it before firing it? If so, anything could have been in the chamber from the manufacturer. The ammunition you chose could also be dirty, although I doubt if it would do that by itself.

I'm no AR guy, but I do remember the mess back in the Vietnam era.

The chamber could be a little too tight, too....

I had a Springfield XD9SC, which is a small pistol, that occasionally, with range ammo, would about half extract a spent case, and then just sit there. If I backed the slide up a bit, and then let it go into battery in an attempt to get the extractor to do the work, the slide would seize up.... Took a hammer and cleaning rod to clear it.... Locking the slide back and using a fingertip to flip the round out worked all the time.... I don't think you have same problem, but a tight chamber and a bit of crud from the ammunition can cause all kinds of issues.... WWB or virgin factory loads never had a problem....

Enjoy the new Sig!

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 pm
More Grease !!!

Maybe a weak round?

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:20 pm
So i just got back from the range and i'm way more frustrated. The extractor is ripping the brass. I used winchester training 556, american eagle 556, independence, and pmc xtac. I payed 20 bucks to shoot 4 rounds. These sigs are supposed to be amazing rifles for the cash. All the reviews were great.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:53 pm
Call Sig Customer Service and explain to them what's happening. I've dealt with them before and they will do a good job of taking care of you.

That said, it could be any number of things.

1. Overgassing - This is typical of Carbine length gas systems. It may help to put a heavier buffer in to slow down the bolt.
2. Make absolutely sure the chamber is clean. Get an ar-15 chamber cleaning brush if you don't already have one and give it a good scrub. Also, inspect the chamber and make sure it's smooth. I would go so far as to remove the upper receiver from the lower and take the bolt carrier group out. Drop a dummy round in the chamber and see if it hangs up. It should be able to move freely in the chamber. You may have to push it out with a cleaning rod, but it shouldn't be difficult.
3. Check the extractor and extractor spring. If the extractor isn't able to move, that could explain everything.

Conceal Cincinnati
NRA Certified Instructors serving the Cincinnati Area
www.concealcincinnati.com
www.facebook.com/concealcincinnati
www.twitter.com/concealcincy
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:41 am
OP, are you in central Ohio? I have a chamber gauge, among other things, that may help you get to the bottom of your issue. Do you have any heavier buffers to try? I have an H2 you can put in it to see if that cures your issue.

I agree with ConcealCinci in terms of what might be the problem. If it's visibly ripping the brass, that's ridiculously over-gassed...something that Sig is definitely liable for and needs to fix.

Have you cleaned the gun since you bought it? Grease should be used during barrel assembly and some can seep in the chamber area. That shouldn't be the lone issue but it can contribute to it.

End of the day, it sounds like an issue Sig needs to fix. If we can isolate the problem and articulate that concisely to Sig, they're more likely to fix it without griping or telling you some stupid crap about 'your gun has a break in period'. This is case in point why I buy their shit anymore.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:31 pm
I called sig the day after my last post. The guy was very cool. They sent me an e mail with a next day air fed ex label and i shipped it out that day. No word yet, but i'll report back when i get the call.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:20 am
Got my rifle back yesterday. I have yet to fire it. The said all the did was polish the chamber and it fired fine. I guess we'll see.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 am
If you're still having problems and you've worked out that it's not the above issues (chamber issues, buffer and gas issues being the most likely) I wonder if you are using new, an d newly purchased ammo. I've had this issue before with non-resized reloaded brass (translates into a chamber issue) and also with some ammo that was exposed to a lot of moisture for a prolonged time.

The moisture ammo I knew was trash but I was messing around to see what kind of problems it might cause and I ended up with some stuck cases torn rims. Just a couple additions to your troubleshooting list.

I see a lot of ar's and I shoot them a lot, don't start doubting your choice of the M400. I. Agree it is a great rifle for the price and ease of acquisition. My opinion, of course, is worth what you paid for it!

NRA Life Patron Member; GOA; BFA Defender; NRA Certified Firearm Instructor; NRA RSO; Attorney

Self-Defense/CHL Law, BP, HFS, PPIH Instructor
RKBA, LLC - Founder, Co-President
Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:40 pm
Got it back and it ran perfect. I'm now a new and true ar lover. Its just sooo accurate.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]