Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 pm
Don't know what's going on! Insert magazine, round chambers, press trigger, gun goes bang....all is well so far...suddenly bolt locks forward and can't get the charging handle to pull back. Had to take a rubber mallet and coax the handle back. Maybe someone else has had this problem before. I've got some ideas but I'm looking for someone who knows what the problem might be.

BFA Leader
NRA-EVC Ohio 6th
NRA Benefactor member
Southern Ohio
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
Region Leader
Post subject: Re: Bolt trouble?
Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 am
If you're shooting the cheap Russian ammo, don't do that. I'm guessing Brown Bear. When the barrel gets hot the lacquer like coating on the rounds gets soft then acts like a glue when it cools. Stick with brass.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 pm
I've never had that happen when running steel cased ammo, but I *have* had it happen after switching from steel cased to brass cased. Seems the chamber gets cruddy with the steel cased stuff but the steel cases don't expand to fill the chamber as tightly as the brass cased stuff does, so it extracts fine, but the brass cased ammo gets stuck. Moral of the story, if you switch from steel to brass, clean the fiream including the chamber.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 pm
Is this a new problem for a normally properly operating AR or an issue with new AR?

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 pm
I've never used steel or bio-metal cases in an American firearm...use steel on in my AK and SKS rifles. Buddy of mine said to really super clean the chamber area then try it again. Letting the upper soak with Outers Foam for the night and I'll use some good old fashioned elbow grease on it tomorrow...then I'll super clean the bolt and all the componets...then we'll see what happens tomorrow evening. If that doesn't work, well guess I'll just try something else.

BFA Leader
NRA-EVC Ohio 6th
NRA Benefactor member
Southern Ohio
Region Leader
Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 am
either the chambers dirty and needs cleaned or polished or you got some real crappy ammo

sounds like its not going into battery all the way and when the hammer hits the bolt its forcing it to go the last few millimeters and locking it up ... try different ammo first

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:47 pm
Rich 2.0 wrote:
either the chambers dirty and needs cleaned or polished or you got some real crappy ammo

sounds like its not going into battery all the way and when the hammer hits the bolt its forcing it to go the last few millimeters and locking it up ... try different ammo first

Talked with Steve at Bushmaster today and he said it could be one of many things, like---dirty ammo, dirty bolt, dirty chamber OR the chamber might need reamed out a tad and polished. My local guy at The Gun Store looked it over and measured everything with a micrometer and said everything looked good to him. He didn't have a "go-no go gauge"....So...guess it's going to get a reaming :surp: in the near future!

BFA Leader
NRA-EVC Ohio 6th
NRA Benefactor member
Southern Ohio
Region Leader
Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:10 pm
Q-tip in the gas tube :mrgreen:

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:32 pm
Rick wrote:
Rich 2.0 wrote:

Talked with Steve at Bushmaster today and he said it could be one of many things, like---dirty ammo, dirty bolt, dirty chamber OR the chamber might need reamed out a tad and polished. My local guy at The Gun Store looked it over and measured everything with a micrometer and said everything looked good to him. He didn't have a "go-no go gauge"....So...guess it's going to get a reaming :surp: in the near future!

I was going to ask what gun/barrel but that's been answered. What buffer weight? I'll bet 'carbine' buffer? What are you lubricating the BCG with?

DPMS and Bushmasters are notorious for having tight chambers, so you'll probably need to have it reamed.

I don't believe laquer is an issue anymore, it was in the past though based on what Russian crap had on casings. The issue is likely a combination of overgassing and a tight chamber. Overgassing will cause the bolt to unlock early while the casing is still partially obturated in the chamber. With steel cased ammo this is worse, as it does not expand/contract as quickly as brass. This results in the partially obturated (expanded) casing being torn instead of cleanly extracted from the chamber. Typically, the gun will run but you'll see accelerated extractor wear and damaged cases. But overgassing, combined with a tight chamber, would definitely result in a lockup like you describe.

If you send it off to be reamed, have them check gas port dimension. On a 16" carbine, anything over .076" is overgassed. Nothing much you can do at that point, except run a heavier buffer.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]