Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:05 am
So I have a lower or three laying around and have been knocking around the idea of an AR chambered in 5.45. 2180 rounds for $360 just seems too attractive to pass up right now. I'm aware of the corrosive properties of most 5.45 and the cleaning regimen needed for the barrel, gas system and bolt. I'll be stocking up on Windex as well. :wink: Does anyone have any experience with ARs of this flavor? Manufacturers? I know Spikes has uppers from time to time and a highly regarded NiB BCG for 5.45. AIM surplus is supposedly going to be rolling out an upper soon as well. Also Model 1 Sales has barrels and BCG in stock and I do have a stripped upper. What say the masses?

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post subject: Re: 5.45 AR... any experience?
Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am
The thought has crossed my mind as well (and 7.62.) I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I'm no metallurgist, but wouldn't a stainless barrel pretty much negate the worries brought on with the use of corrosive ammunition? I understand you still have the BCG to worry about, but I clean all mine after every time I shoot anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:00 am
CW78 wrote:
The thought has crossed my mind as well (and 7.62.) I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I'm no metallurgist, but wouldn't a stainless barrel pretty much negate the worries brought on with the use of corrosive ammunition? I understand you still have the BCG to worry about, but I clean all mine after every time I shoot anyway.

Hmm, stainless barrel & BCG, etc. and polymer lower...

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:16 am
It's pretty much the same as 5.56. Your need the right barrel, mags and BCG. I have some extra parts of your interested. If your going with surplus ammo, it's corrosive ammo and needs to be cleaned after each shooting. I have both pistol and gas operated versions.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:05 am
Milandrew:

Welcome aboard!

Someday an AR.... Lotsa pistols, though :D....

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you might want to have a look at. It's not mandatory, may be sleep inducing, but does explain who the little dog in my avatar is.

Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:17 am
I have a 5.45 AR with several thousands of rounds through it. Purchased mine used and have nothing but good things to say. I worried early on about the ammo but all is well. Just clean and lube.

Stay Safe, Andrew

To whom much is given much is expected

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]