Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm
Hi all.

After years of wanting one and never being happy with the styles made, I've decided to take the leap and build an AR the way I want it. I found a barrel, handguard, and BUIS, that I really like. Not sure exactly what stock or grip I'm going to go with yet, nor the trigger or BCG. There seems to be a million different "makers" of uppers and lowers out there now, and this is where I'm running into my dilemma. Since this is my first build, I'm planning to go with a forged Mil Spec upper and lower. But what brand to go with is driving me crazy. I've decided if at all possible to go with an Ohio made upper and lower. Just to be a little different and support a business in state if I can. Not to mention if I find someone close enough I can avoid shipping and FFL fees by picking it up myself.

I know almost all receivers come from the same 4-5 forges. But I think it would be awesome to find one machined and marked by an Ohio based Company. If anyone knows of someone here in Ohio that makes their own receivers, please post them here with a link or even pics if possible. I'm also open to suggestions of Ohio made stocks, grips, and muzzle devices... if any exist.

Thanks in advance!
Post subject: Re: Ohio Receiver Makers
Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:52 pm
Troy industry's is Ohio based. I think stag is Ohio based to.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:55 pm
http://www.gunenvy.com/gun-envy-manufacturing/

They are located in Columbus. The website says sold out, but give them a call, they might not have their website up to date.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:23 pm
schmidlin wrote:
Troy industry's is Ohio based. I think stag is Ohio based to.

i thought stag was connecticut-based (and looking to move!)???

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:34 pm
Hatrix wrote:
Hi all.

After years of wanting one and never being happy with the styles made, I've decided to take the leap and build an AR the way I want it. I found a barrel, handguard, and BUIS, that I really like. Not sure exactly what stock or grip I'm going to go with yet, nor the trigger or BCG. There seems to be a million different "makers" of uppers and lowers out there now, and this is where I'm running into my dilemma. Since this is my first build, I'm planning to go with a forged Mil Spec upper and lower. But what brand to go with is driving me crazy. I've decided if at all possible to go with an Ohio made upper and lower. Just to be a little different and support a business in state if I can. Not to mention if I find someone close enough I can avoid shipping and FFL fees by picking it up myself.

I know almost all receivers come from the same 4-5 forges. But I think it would be awesome to find one machined and marked by an Ohio based Company. If anyone knows of someone here in Ohio that makes their own receivers, please post them here with a link or even pics if possible. I'm also open to suggestions of Ohio made stocks, grips, and muzzle devices... if any exist.

Thanks in advance!

not sure if there are any ohio-based AR manufacturers yet, ...but you could try ADCO, ..i think they make parts and are in oh...

also, there is AIM surplus located in middletown OH, they have all kinds of complete AR rifles, uppers, lowers, and components...

at the risk of getting flamed: :mrgreen:
there are a lot of choices in brand these days, ...and you can filter things down by your budget because some brands are in a more costly tier (noveske, larue, etc.)... maybe colt and daniel defense fit in just below the high-end tier, ..and most of the rest just below that in price... i like CMMG, they have a nice teflon-anodized finish that has a satin look and wipes clean easily,... some others have a more matte finish (my rock river, for example) that tends to trap lint when wiping it down w/ a cloth - annoying to me...

IMO the "stock" AR-type handgrip is terrible, ...i put the magpul MIAD grip on all of my ARs - more ergonomic and functional (has internal storage capability)...

...for the stock, i prefer a collapsible, and one that doesn't "wiggle", ...i recently got a magpul ACS stock - it's great!

...another decision you'll have to make is what kind of gas block/sight system: (a) low profile railed block, for a flipup front sight, or (b) a FSB (fixed sight base) - the ubiquitous AR/M16 type gas block/sight.

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:47 pm
I've seen some of the Gun Envy ones and they seem decent. I mostly stay with Palmetto State Armory though. Their receivers are on sale for $49-59 frequently and you simply can't beat that. The dozen or so I've seen are to spec as well, myself and another armorer have compared these to Colt's receiver blueprint.

Speaking of Ohio-based companies I would recommend B5 Systems, their SOPMOD Enhanced and SOPMOD Bravo stocks are much less than LMT, and offer great cheekweld and some storage options. I also like the integral QD feature, as all my slings are QD.

I agree with the above, the standard A2 grip is garbage. I've completely transitioned to BCM grips, they have a much more relaxed angle and from a shooter that uses his carbine pretty 'bunched up' (on stock pos 2-3) I appreciate that. The watertight storage is also nice, I keep my tax stamps in there on SBRs, and a spare bolt and/or vial of lube on other guns.

Some B5 Enhanced SOPMODs with BCM Mod 1 grips

B5 Bravo on the SBR. Shorter and narrower stock than the Enhanced.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]