Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:43 am
I did a search and found nothing. I live in Toledo and I was going to purchase a 100 rd surefire Mag on gun broker and was told the vendor wouldn't ship to Toledo. Anyone heard of this? Any citations of law or a definitive answer for me,

Thanks in advance

BA

Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton
Post subject: Re: Ohio Magazine Capacity Law
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:42 am
Ohio does not have a magazine capacity law. There used to be an odd law that said that magazines capable of holding 31+ rounds turned a firearm into an automatic firearm when inserted, but that was removed with the law that went into effect on March 23 of this year.

Now, that is at the state level. I do not know if Toledo has a magazine capacity law on the books but if they do, as I understand it, that would be in violation of Ohio law under ORC 9.68. Not that it will fix your problem as trying to explain that to the vendor isn't likely to do much.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:33 pm
Unfortunately some of the vendors go by (badly outdated) information provided to them by the BATFE, and will not listen to anyone else no matter how much evidence they provide. Sometimes companies let their hired shysters make too many decisions.

And I can't imagine there's any rock I could try to push up a mountain with my nose that would make for a harder task than coaxing the BATFE to updtae their list of state/local laws.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:48 pm
Quote:
(last updated on 5/7/2015)

GunBroker.com is the world's largest online auction site for firearms and hunting/shooting accessories. Launched in 1999, GunBroker.com is an informative, secure and safe way to buy and sell firearms, ammunition and hunting/shooting gear online. GunBroker.com promotes responsible ownership of guns and firearms. Aside from merchandise bearing its logo, GunBroker.com sells none of the items listed on its website. Third-party sellers list items on the site and Federal and state laws govern the sale of firearms and other restricted items. Ownership policies and regulations are followed using licensed firearms dealers as transfer agents.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Suppor ... faqid=1254

Apparently Gunbroker.com does not comply with their own published policy. Ohio is not a federal territory and Ohio Revised Code 9.68 forbids any local law to regulate magazine capacity. Further, Gunbroker.com states above that they do NOT sell anything. So, did the vendor tell you they wouldn't ship to Toledo or did Gunbroker.com tell you that?

If Gunbroker told you that, then I would contact the vendor. If the vendor said that I would report them to Gunbroker informing Gunbroker that the vendor is not complying with the above policy.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:47 am
color of law wrote:
If Gunbroker told you that, then I would contact the vendor. If the vendor said that I would report them to Gunbroker informing Gunbroker that the vendor is not complying with the above policy.

Yes CoL he could certainly do all that, and hope that somebody gives enough of a darn to start doing things correctly. Maybe it would be fixed in a day, three weeks, six months, or not.

in the meantime 1stMarDiv could just use a flanking maneuver instead of a frontal assault and buy the darn magazine locally, no doubt at an increased cost.

ORC 9.68 has been in place a LONG time now and some of these vendors have been shown that law several times, yet they still won't lift their sales prohibition. Maybe the e-tail guys who do that should start paying the price in terms of revenue lost, by us consumers shopping locally in person.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 am
Brian D. wrote:
color of law wrote:

Yes CoL he could certainly do all that, and hope that somebody gives enough of a darn to start doing things correctly. Maybe it would be fixed in a day, three weeks, six months, or not.

in the meantime 1stMarDiv could just use a flanking maneuver instead of a frontal assault and buy the darn magazine locally, no doubt at an increased cost.

ORC 9.68 has been in place a LONG time now and some of these vendors have been shown that law several times, yet they still won't lift their sales prohibition. Maybe the e-tail guys who do that should start paying the price in terms of revenue lost, by us consumers shopping locally in person.

I don't disagree with your assessment. But, I would like to know if Gunbroker is spreading this lie.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:59 am
Oh yeah I'd like to know, too.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:13 pm
color of law wrote:
Quote:
(last updated on 5/7/2015)

GunBroker.com is the world's largest online auction site for firearms and hunting/shooting accessories. Launched in 1999, GunBroker.com is an informative, secure and safe way to buy and sell firearms, ammunition and hunting/shooting gear online. GunBroker.com promotes responsible ownership of guns and firearms. Aside from merchandise bearing its logo, GunBroker.com sells none of the items listed on its website. Third-party sellers list items on the site and Federal and state laws govern the sale of firearms and other restricted items. Ownership policies and regulations are followed using licensed firearms dealers as transfer agents.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Suppor ... faqid=1254

Apparently Gunbroker.com does not comply with their own published policy. Ohio is not a federal territory and Ohio Revised Code 9.68 forbids any local law to regulate magazine capacity. Further, Gunbroker.com states above that they do NOT sell anything. So, did the vendor tell you they wouldn't ship to Toledo or did Gunbroker.com tell you that?

I contacted the vendor and he emailed me back that if they were legal in my locality he would ship them to me. I laid out my case from the information from this post and a call to the Toledo police. HOWEVER, the vendor lost the sale to another without such restrictions. But I made my point.

Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:21 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Oh yeah I'd like to know, too.

You know I'm not sure here is his disclaimer, I have a feeling he copied and pasted this from somewhere don't ya think?? And I'll put $5 on the fact that the same list of places with restrictions would stack up to the same list of Places I will never, would never and won't be living in for the duration of my life. Minus Toledo but that shouldn't be on the list anyhow :roll:

"

"LOWEST PRICE ON GUNBROKER! .....Up for auction is a New, old stock, display, Surefire 100 round quad stack Magazine. Comes as seen.(No package). Not for sale to restricted areas. VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, AMERICAN EXPRESS CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS or USPS POSTAL MONEY ORDER ONLY! NO exceptions. No Fee charged for CC/DEBIT usage. You will receive the actual item in the pictures. I do combine shipping on multiple items. I am not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen merchandise during shipping. If you want insurance please be sure to email me before payment is sent. ATTENTION: The following locations have magazine restrictions; please check for your local laws and regulations before placing a bid. I will not ship to a restricted area, so please do not ask. I will not ship to these states. NO EXCEPTIONS. I will NOT ship Hi-cap mags to: California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Colorado, New York State, Maryland, South Bend-Indiana; Aurora & Chicago-Illinois, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, & Toledo-Ohio, New Jersey, or Washington DC. Other States, Counties or Cities may apply. You are responsible for checking your local laws. We do not disassemble mags for shipping. All parts and/or accessories should be inspected and installed by a qualified gunsmith. Williams Armament LLC is no way responsible for the use, misuse, or condition of items sold. Please make sure this is legal in your state, county or city. I will not ship to a restricted area, so please do not ask. YOU are responsible for checking your local laws. NFA and/or 922 rules may apply on certain items. No sales to California or Washington on restricted items. Note: I try to describe the items to the best of my ability. What you see is what you get. Please ask any questions BEFORE you bid. This is an AS IS auction, once you win an item it is yours. Items may not ship to you in a factory bag/box due to bulk purchases from the distributor. US SALES ONLY. I do not sell or ship internationally or to APO addresses. Hawaii and Alaska shipping upon request. Payment must be made within 10 days of winning. Return Information: All Sales are Final and as-is. I do however understand that mistakes happen. If I ship you the wrong item or have made a mistake in the description of an item, I will gladly offer a refund or exchange by my discretion. No local pickups are allowed as we are an Internet store only. Items bid on, won or purchased cannot be used for, or support, any terrorist individuals, groups, or activities. By bidding on, or purchasing this item you are agreeing to the above stated terms and conditions."

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:49 am
Like we said that's based on old, old information provided to them by BATFE publications. If the company's lawyers tell them to follow only the Fed guidelines and ignore all others, that's what they'll do. Just because one pays a lawyer LOTS of money for advice, doesn't always mean it's the best way to go. You and I as thinking individuals understand that. A CEO with lots of stuff on his mind often forgets and just blindly follows the shyster's direction.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:26 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Like we said that's based on old, old information provided to them by BATFE publications. If the company's lawyers tell them to follow only the Fed guidelines and ignore all others, that's what they'll do. Just because one pays a lawyer LOTS of money for advice, doesn't always mean it's the best way to go. You and I as thinking individuals understand that. A CEO with lots of stuff on his mind often forgets and just blindly follows the shyster's direction.

And at the same time if one is arrested for a criminal matter, don't we usually tell them to follow their lawyer's advice and not always the advice of people on the Internet? I truly see both sides to this.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:50 am
JediSkipdogg wrote:
Brian D. wrote:

And at the same time if one is arrested for a criminal matter, don't we usually tell them to follow their lawyer's advice and not always the advice of people on the Internet? I truly see both sides to this.

Pretty much this.

Remember Cope's getting hammered by San Francisco? You can see why retailers say "nope". It's cheaper to avoid the issue entirely.

It also doesn't help that a majority of my fellow attorneys know little about guns or the laws governing guns.

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

Any informaton provided does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:43 pm
I hope 1st Marine got his magazines by now...BATF ain't budged yet.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:08 pm
If the seller won't ship to you in Toledo, do you know anyone outside of city limits who can have it shipped to their house?

If you really want one this second, it's the fastest option for now.

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

Any informaton provided does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:02 pm
Well, mean_sartin, this thread is six-seven months old, so "right now" is sort of down the drain.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]