Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: Re: Just ordered a Lee Progressive press
Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:09 pm
RogerD wrote:
Ok I've done a few hundred rounds, and I've found that my oal changes (a couple thousanths) a lot, and the fine tuner is jumpy in this respect. (this is the Lee die set) Any hints on getting a consistent oal? I'm shooting for 1.48-1.5 oal on a 38 special but often I get -1.48 1.5+ without ever moving the die.

What type of bullets? Lead or jacketed? Is the seating die held in place pretty tight or does it wiggle at all? Consistently using the same pressure on the ram?

It sounds like you are getting a variation of +/- .02" , that sound about right? Could be something with your measuring technique also. I wouldn't be concerned if that is the variation you're getting, especially if you are somewhere in the middle of the recommended load.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 pm
lead bullets. The press is very secure as well as the die. I just wasn't sure if that variance was normal, sometimes I can get ocd on certain things lol

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 pm
Also, since this thread has been brought back to life... I think I'm up to about 1,000 rounds on this press and still have not had any issues. If anything it's working better now that I've had some practice and it's broke in.

I have fired about 400 of these now without a single issue. I'd like to load about another 2,000 and then switch it over to another caliber until the 40 supply gets low.

Joel

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 pm
RogerD wrote:
lead bullets. The press is very secure as well as the die. I just wasn't sure if that variance was normal, sometimes I can get ocd on certain things lol

That's not bad for lead bullets. The thing you should watch, though I've never had an issue with this, is sometimes the lube can build up inside the seating die causing the bullets to seat deeper and deeper. Check on it every now and then.

Joel

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:29 am
figured out the mystery of the missing thousanths.... I was measuring with the caliper across the primer- although fully seated, still throws my measure off by just a hair :mrgreen:

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm
Good read for a new Lee owner. I made the plunge recently on the same press preset for 9mm. I've pumped out around 150 rounds now and the main problem I have had is the primers. Several issues with loading and unloading them but the worst is when it allows a primers to flip somewhere in the ramp. I'm pretty sure it happens at the area between the ramp and the primer piston but not sure how. But for now it is keeping me at a slower pace because I am being super annal about watching them feed correctly.
Here is the press as it sits. I mounted it to a board so I could easily mount and dismount it from the table. I don't have a basement so the kitchen was the only place with an uncarpeted floor where I wouldn't have to be outside to do loading.

Took my first 50 rounds to a friends who has a chronograph and they performed well. Here are the results.
Using the Glock 17 Blazer Factory Ammo registered 1136 avg with a spread of 3 and the reloads 1075 average with a spread of 35.
Ruger LC9 Blazer Factory Ammo registered 950 avg with a spread of 29 and the reloads 1011 average with a spread of 31.
Standard deviation in the tests was 14 and all rounds were 115 grain bullets.
Hers the reload data.

I used the second setup with the 3.7 disc as my powder charge. So far I'm happy with my purchase and function of the press. But I will say the best advice I got was to use a little Hornedy One Shot lube on the cases to make resizing a bit easier. Carbide die or not those cases are a tight fit and go much easier with just a touch of lube.
I have dies for 40 S&W and will soon do a switch over. Hopefully it will be pretty easy as was mentioned before the bas plate works for both rounds. It time I may get dies for the .38 also but have already determined when I feel comfortable with what I am doing I will get a single stage press for 45-70 and other large rounds I shoot for rifles. :wink:

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 pm
buildit wrote:
the main problem I have had is the primers. Several issues with loading and unloading them but the worst is when it allows a primers to flip somewhere in the ramp. I'm pretty sure it happens at the area between the ramp and the primer piston but not sure how. But for now it is keeping me at a slower pace because I am being super annal about watching them feed correctly.

I hear you about loading and unloading (mostly unloading) the primers. I've come up with a method that mostly works but it is still a pain. Related annoyance - I normally load batches of 100 at a time, but the last dozen or so primers are far enough past the curve that they don't have enough weight to slide into position, so I either have to help them along or load another batch of 100 primers behind them, which means unloading the remaining primers (sigh).

I have had occasional problems with flipped primers, and each time I've had the probelm I've noticed that there is a slight gap between the two halves of the primer feed ramp, and once I started remembering to squeeze the two halves together along the entire length of the ramp/slide I don't see the problem anymore.

BTW, nicely done, those numbers look pretty good too - how's the accuracy?

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:21 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
BTW, nicely done, those numbers look pretty good too - how's the accuracy?

With the Glock it is not that noticeable, but the LC9 felt like it was hitting a bit harder. Even the Hi Point 995ts feeds and fires them really well.

I have been tumbling 40 S&W once fired brass and have been surprised at the bulging they have near the base. These are from multiple firearms so I know it's not just a gun issue. I have been separating them out if the bulge is detectable by running my finger nail over it. Does anyone reload these or just scrap them? I've not set up the press for 40s&w yet so I haven't tried resizing them yet.

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:48 pm
buildit:

JustaShooter beat me to it :D.... A buddy has a similar press, and he tells me that keeping the primer feed chute full is the key, although he may not have figured out the spacing issue. The Dillon gets you an occasional upside down primer when you feed the press' working primer tube from the pickup tube, but once they're in the tube, they stay how they were oriented.

Downside is that you can't see the primers in the system until they feed up into the shell plate just before inserting them, and then only with no case in the station. Once in a while mine just decides not to provide a primer....

The .40 base bulge, and that of some 9mm cases seems to be from Glock guns - there's a slight lack of support in the head area. If your gun will continue to let you use these, you can ignore it, but if not, the Lee "Factory Crimp" die should fix it. IAC, good job!

With component prices all over the map, my original estimates are still putting me at about half what the local gun pusher wanted for "you bought what?!" reloads. It'll take a while to amortize the cost of the press & such, but I'm getting there :D.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 pm
SMMAssociates wrote:
The .40 base bulge, and that of some 9mm cases seems to be from Glock guns - there's a slight lack of support in the head area. If your gun will continue to let you use these, you can ignore it, but if not, the Lee "Factory Crimp" die should fix it.

BTW, I think you meant the Lee Bulge Buster (http://leeprecision.com/bulge-buster-kit.html) for removing the bulges from Glock-fired 9mm and .40 cases, right?

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:56 pm
Well, no one who shoots 40 here uses a Glock. I have a Beretta PX4 storm and SD40VE and my friend who likes to come over has an XDM 5.25 in 40S&W. So the bulge is more than just a Glock issue. :roll: Well, is the Lee die doesn't heal the brass I will have 400 rounds for sale. :D Thankfully I have almost as much that is just fine. :wink:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:51 am
JustaShooter:

The "Bulge Buster" seems to require a "Factory Crimp" die to function, although I'm not sure that you couldn't get by with just about any crimping die.

I know that the "Factory Crimp" die fixes Glock-abused 9mm cases, unless it's a placebo effect :D....

In my case, a "Factory Crimp" for the .45ACP seemed to make a bit better final case preparation than the die that came with the Dillon press, but since I wasn't dealing with the Glock-bulge, I expect that my .45's just came out a bit better.

My apologies to Glock, too, in that I now think that some other guns will do the same thing. Technically, you should expect some case head bulging in any gun, but I can't identify any other guns. I've not seen this in .45's from Para, Kimber, and Rock Island. Likewise, all three of my M&P's (40FS, 40C, 9C) don't seem to do it either.

Big Note: I'm not all that experienced with reloading. My buddy Joe, who talked me into the Dillon so we could share parts and expertise, has been doing it for quite a while, and he talked me into the Lee die. Now if I could remember what I did with that furnace....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:37 am
SMMAssociates wrote:
The "Bulge Buster" seems to require a "Factory Crimp" die to function, although I'm not sure that you couldn't get by with just about any crimping die.

After re-reading the description (after getting some sleep) it seems you are correct. I also notice it says it shouldn't be used on cases that have bulged in a Glock, and isn't appropriate for use on a 9mm because of the case taper. Learn something (or three things) new every day!

Quote:
I know that the "Factory Crimp" die fixes Glock-abused 9mm cases, unless it's a placebo effect :D....

Could be, could also be that the normal sizing die is fixing them up - I've only run into a handful of 9mm cases that after sizing I decided were unusable, one of which looked like it might have been fired in a .40 as enlarged as the base was! :shock:

Quote:
My apologies to Glock, too, in that I now think that some other guns will do the same thing. Technically, you should expect some case head bulging in any gun, but I can't identify any other guns. I've not seen this in .45's from Para, Kimber, and Rock Island. Likewise, all three of my M&P's (40FS, 40C, 9C) don't seem to do it either.

This is true, Glocks aren't the only handguns with this problem, but none have been nearly as bad as the early model Glock 9mm and .40. Newer versions seem to be much improved. Also true that most semi-autos are going to have at least a small portion of the case unsupported, but again most are designed to minimize that issue as much as possible, unlike the aforementioned Glock models. (BTW, ISTM that another model with more of a problem than most is the XDM, but I could be misremembering.)

Good that you are learning reloading, it is very rewarding on many levels, not the least of which is the wallet! :mrgreen:

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:26 am
Hugh? I have yet to have seen any of my 9mm once fired brass with bulges. My Glock must be one of the ones they built on a wednesday? :wink: I'll have to start watching my brass as I shoot different guns to see which ones are and aren't bulging the 40 cases.

Off to go get bullets today. 500 rnds Berrys JFN 155grain. :D

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 pm
buildit wrote:
Hugh? I have yet to have seen any of my 9mm once fired brass with bulges. My Glock must be one of the ones they built on a wednesday? :wink: I'll have to start watching my brass as I shoot different guns to see which ones are and aren't bulging the 40 cases.

Off to go get bullets today. 500 rnds Berrys JFN 155grain. :D

It has a lot to do with when the barrel was made. I don't know the exact dates but Glock changed the barrel to give more support to the cartridge. A barrel from the 90s probably is suspect. A barrel from the past 5 years or so should be fine. In between, I dunno. A Glock expert will need to chime in.

NRA Life Member
 Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next