Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Post subject: Re: Blackwing has ammo, but not for you
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am
Well, I think we can safely say the government is not buying up S&W 686's, HKS speedloaders and .357 MAG ammo.

That's good becuase it means more revolvers for wheelgun nuts like me.

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 pm
^ :lol: Agreed!

And I guess FAMs aren't getting much love, either. There appears to still be plenty of .357 Sig ammo to go around.

I guess it's less ammo for them, because they're expected to actually not miss! :)

-Allen
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm
I'll have to re-hijak my thread here. :lol:

I thought about all this more, decided to send an email to Blackwing and got a nice response within a couple hours-from the guy that actually made the policy. What's a little funny to me is he made the policy probably about 4 hours before I decided to come in. The decision to get the 380 ammo was extremely spontanious and last minute so I almost completely missed the whole experience for a couple different reasons. I was happy as a kid in a candy store until I asked for the box of 380 ammo.

Here's what was said,

Quote:
To whom it may concern, I visited your shop on January 20th and something that happened is still bothering me a bit so I decided to send an email instead of just getting mad and not coming back, which was my first thought. I have a CHL course coming up this Sunday so I wanted to get a few things. I was dissapointed when two employees told me that I could not buy any FMJ ammo because it was "only for people using our range". I planned on spending a couple hundred dollars that day and did not. The only FMJ ammo I asked for by the way was one box of .380 ACP. If this is your current policy, it's your right to do that. I do however wish you could put a sign on the door or the register explaining this and maybe post it on your website. It's frustrating to see a truck load of ammo in plain site and then be told I can't have any unless I rent a lane.

Quote:

Hello Joel,

I am sorry we have disappointed you and thank you for contacting us and letting us know. It is never our intent to cause confusion or anger with our customers. As you probably know, the entire firearms industry is experiencing shortages in product availability of firearms and ammunition, right now. Unfortunately, we are not an exception to this. The decision was made by me on Sunday morning, to further restrict ammo sales. I did not make this decision lightly. However, in order to keep our business running there are certain areas we must cover. We have many facets to our business we need to be able to ensure keep running. The training courses we provide ammo for, need to have ammo available to use(CCW & Handgun Clinics), we also need to ensure our range customers have ammo to purchase when they rent our firearms, as it is a requirement they purchase our ammo to use in our firearms (manufacturer’s range program requirement). We are running too low on ammo, right now, not to restrict the sales until more of our ammo orders are delivered. Once the deliveries come in, we will happily lift the current restriction.

Right now our current ammo sales policy is that customers shooting on the indoor range will only be allowed to purchase 2 boxes of target ammo, customers wanting defensive ammo are restricted to 1 box. Customers that purchase a firearm are restricted to 1 box of defensive and 1 box of target ammo. We do not like this any more than you, however there are business repercussions if we ignore the state of our inventory. We have numerous customers that would love to spend hundreds of dollars on ammo purchases but we are just not able to provide this right now. This is not unique to us, as the restrictions are industry wide right now.

I honestly did not understand your reference to a “truck load” of ammo, as we have not had any deliveries of ammo this month. What is on our counter shelves, gets us through a day or two normally before we need to restock. I do understand your advice, regarding putting a sign on the door. We did try this, during our initial restriction (which was 3 boxes), we even put signs at each counter & register, however we discovered most people do not read these posted signs. We took them down. We have even addressed this issue on our Facebook page, as well.

We soon hope to be able to get back to providing our customers with the products they require and get back to business, as usual. Thank you for your feedback and I do sincerely hope you will give us another chance to provide you with a positive experience. However, I implore you to please try to understand why we had to place these restrictions. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. Thank you.

Quote:
Thank you for the response. A "truck load" was an exageration. I understand the need for your policy and I will consider future trips to your store because of your polite and prompt response. To be honest, the policy is fine and uderstandable but it caught me off guard. That's why I suggested a sign by the register,at the door or on your website.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 pm
Good to see you're not a hammerhead who makes longterm decisions based on a single bad episode, Joel. Too many of those guys and gals in this world.

I live quite a ways from Blackwing but get in there from time to time. As of yet I've never seen an employee be the least bit unpleasant with a customer. Can't say that for too many other gunshops, unfortunately.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 pm
A very polite and professional response. Thanks for posting "resolution" of you issue.

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm
Viking wrote:
A very polite and professional response. Thanks for posting "resolution" of you issue.

No problem. I was irritated enough that it took about 48 hours for me to calm down and send that email, but it seemed like the right thing to do. There are plenty of other places to shop, but I really liked that store! :lol:

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm
I stopped at Blackwing today. I could not believe how empty they are! Yet despite one whole case of guns being empty the parking lot was full at 2:00 with people heading to the range. I also noticed a premium price on all the handguns left in the cases. Yet people were still buying them at the jacked up price. Looks like guns are becoming the rich mans sport for the time being as I can't afford the new prices. :(

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 pm
buildit wrote:
I stopped at Blackwing today. I could not believe how empty they are! Yet despite one whole case of guns being empty the parking lot was full at 2:00 with people heading to the range. I also noticed a premium price on all the handguns left in the cases. Yet people were still buying them at the jacked up price. Looks like guns are becoming the rich mans sport for the time being as I can't afford the new prices. :(

Rich is relative, I'd say it's been a rich mans sport for a while now.
Thank god for 22lr is all I can say.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm
buildit wrote:

Blackwing normal prices are a bit higher than other stores in the area so i dont thin they have moved them.

"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article
Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:25 pm
My name is Robin Salvo and I am the Director of Operations, at Black Wing. I am responsible for setting the ammo restrictions for the store.

Folks, we would love to sell you all the ammunition you would like to buy and after all this chaos started, we did. We sold in bulk and did not jack up our prices. Then distributors started to run dry on supply because of the demand (nationwide). Unlike some other gun stores, we have ranges and a full training department to keep running. We have to be able to supply those areas ammunition, as well, so I started limiting target ammo sales, based on the above factors and what we have in stock. Keep in mind because you see a stack of ammo behind our counters, doesn’t necessarily mean we have a large quantity in our warehouse. As our deliveries come in, these restrictions will change (probably weekly) and we will post the limits on our website Blog, our FaceBook page and in our store.

It is not our intent to keep you from purchasing ammo, nor is it our intent to jack up prices on ammo. We do not limit sales based on someone being a member or non-member. Membership gets you discounted rates on range time and items, but no special allocation in ammo. Manufacturers and distributors are raising their prices so our cost has gone up. Therefore, as a business, we do have to raise our prices. We are not the cheapest on everything, nor are we the most expensive on everything. We try to provide a nice, customer friendly, 5-star facility for shooters to come out and enjoy. We provide a Lifetime Warranty all most all of our New & Used Firearms and we did not raise the price of our firearms to provide this service.

There is a message to all of our customers on our website Blog, regarding the State of Our Industry (http://www.blackwingsc.com/blog/entry.php?id=199). Please feel free to read this and perhaps it will help everyone understand what is going on and how long we can expect this to go on.

We are not in the business of turning customers away by not selling them a product they seek. We know that without our customers we will not keep our business open.

I invite any of you to contact me directly, with any questions or concerns you may have.

Thank you for your support.
Robin Salvo
Director of Operations
Black Wing Shooting Center
740.363.7555 x206

NRA Training Counselor
Certified Combat Focus Shooting Instructor
Post subject: Re: Blackwing had ammo, but not for me
Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:34 am
Rsalvo, Robin,

Representing no one but myself as a regular Joe customer (actually Dan customer in my case), the fact that you took the time out of your busy schedule to stop by and address the concerns of one of your customers, on an internet forum no less, absolutely speaks volumes about your business.

Thank you Sir! There aren't many out there that would bother. The link you provided to Rex's State of the Industry Address should easily put it all into perspective for everyone. Well written too.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:04 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
Rsalvo, Robin,

Representing no one but myself as a regular Joe customer (actually Dan customer in my case), the fact that you took the time out of your busy schedule to stop by and address the concerns of one of your customers, on an internet forum no less, absolutely speaks volumes about your business.

Thank you Sir! There aren't many out there that would bother. The link you provided to Rex's State of the Industry Address should easily put it all into perspective for everyone. Well written too.

Agreed, moreover that two representatives of Black wing showed enough concern to address the issue is very telling. I may not be your biggest customer, well maybe size wise :lol: , but my respect for your honesty is now even greater than it was after taking my CCW classes there.
Thanks

Oh, and a special hello to Keith. :egrin:

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
Rsalvo, Robin,

Thank you Sir!

Not sure whether Robin is a "sir" or a "ma'am" but you certainly said thank you politely enough, Dan. (By the way I've always presumed your forum handle qwas short for 'Daniel' but guess it could be 'Danielle' too, right sir/ma'am? :lol: )

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
 Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3